PDA

View Full Version : a question on the add forenames command

iostephanos
01-14-2004, 02:59
hey, sorry if i missed this somewhere, but;

in ...\campmap\names\default_heroes there's an add forenames command that can be used to associate more names with a faction

my question is, are the names in quotes in this file (like john) referring to the {translation} or the [label] to be found in the names file? (the note says that the names must be found in the ...\loc\eng\names file)

i'm asking because i reworked the roman faction's list (in the names file) to give greek renderings rather than latin or anglicized ones (stephanos for stephen, etc.), mostly to see how the file worked...

anyway, i'd still end up with a prince john, because john is now associated with the roman faction, and naturally i'd prefer a prince ioannes, so...

if i change john in the first file to ioannes, and change the translation of some other name in the second to something like [theodore] {ioannes}, will i get a prince ioannes, or will the fill be looking for a label called [ioannes] (which doesn't exist)?

p.s. there are multiple entries of some names in the default_heroes file for some factions, is that to increase the likelihood of that name?

steph

Lord Of Storms
01-14-2004, 14:51
Greetings Steph and Welcome, I would like to say the Loc and Hero files are simply cut and dry , but it can get a bit confusing, the best way to tackle this would be decide what you need to do and what you can handle, the ADD FORENAME bit can be used to establish a whole new names list for a faction you created or existing, entrie new lists forename and surname can be made and added to the file as explained in the file heading, firstly though the simple way would be the overwrite, ignoring the hero files altogether and just using names you can change out any name
[John] {Joannes}
this will give you a simple quick name change.
Now if you wish to make an entire new list of names entries or create a Hero with your own stats then you use the add forename/surname create a list of names just follow the existing file structure and refer to the heading for the proper format. give the list a proper number, also what most people dont realise is you can add Labels to the name files
say I wanted to add
[Iostephanos] {Iostephanos}
I would make this entry in Names txt if a hero be sure to put it in the Heroes name heading not regular faction names lists, unless thats where you want it. that should do it, also for more on adding heores to VIgo to the Repository and look in the Dungeon's FAQ htread close to the last page for my post on the topic...LOS

Komutan
01-14-2004, 15:38
Is there any way to change the Lord + Familyname format to Lord + Firstname?

iostephanos
01-14-2004, 15:45
one can add labels to the ...\loc\eng\names file? you mean i can just add [demetrios] {demeterios} under the last label for the byz/romans and the game will recognize it? thank you, i thought maybe the number of labels for a faction was hard-coded or something

(you see, when i modded eu ii, i found you can't just add culture_portugese;portugese because the game is hard-coded to recognize only so many, so if you want portugese culture, you need to change the translation of another one)

one more question: out of vi and back to regular mtw no patch (i have both installed side by side to learn modding etc); i changed the names of the byz/roman faction in the names file, and i get everything fine, except that two of my sea captians ended up named george...

mtw doesn't have a ...\campmap\names\default_heroes file, and i can find no other file anywhere that has a command to associate the english [george] {george} with the byz; where does that come from? doesn't mtw also a specific file to say how many of a faction's names are royal, to assign princess lists, etc?

thank you in advance,
steph

Lord Of Storms
01-14-2004, 15:56
Quote[/b] (Komutan @ Jan. 14 2004,08:38)]Is there any way to change the Lord + Familyname format to Lord + Firstname?
The only way to do this would be to find the surname in names txt and change it to the Forename, but the problem with names txt is it does random name generating and selection, so while I have found a certain measure of consistency {you will have to experiment}results can vary...LOS

Lord Of Storms
01-14-2004, 16:09
Quote[/b] (iostephanos @ Jan. 14 2004,08:45)]one can add labels to the ...\loc\eng\names file? you mean i can just add [demetrios] {demeterios} under the last label for the byz/romans and the game will recognize it? thank you, i thought maybe the number of labels for a faction was hard-coded or something

(you see, when i modded eu ii, i found you can't just add culture_portugese;portugese because the game is hard-coded to recognize only so many, so if you want portugese culture, you need to change the translation of another one)

one more question: out of vi and back to regular mtw no patch (i have both installed side by side to learn modding etc); i changed the names of the byz/roman faction in the names file, and i get everything fine, except that two of my sea captians ended up named george...

mtw doesn't have a ...\campmap\names\default_heroes file, and i can find no other file anywhere that has a command to associate the english [george] {george} with the byz; where does that come from? doesn't mtw also a specific file to say how many of a faction's names are royal, to assign princess lists, etc?

thank you in advance,
steph
To your first question yes one can add Labels in certain areas without trouble...

second, when you say culture and Portugese what exactly do you mean here? do you want to make a protugese Faction? if so you can create entirely new factions in VI without overwriting {See topic on Adding New Factions to VIin the Repository}Cultures on the other hand is a different story and cannot be added.

To the 2 sea captains named George again this goes back to the Names being randomly generated you will find usually more then one repeated throughout the game.

Lastly to associate George with the Byz Faction in MTW 1 look in Nmaes txt and under Byz faction heading

//byzantine_forenames
you can choose to overwrite an existing name
[Isaac] {George}
or make a new Label as I said earlier
as far as royal names for most factions the first 8 names of each list are designated as Royals except the French which is 5... Hope this helps...LOS

iostephanos
01-14-2004, 16:20
i read the faq on adding factions, thank you; what i meant by the portugese thing was just to show that eu ii didn't allow one to just add labels for things http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-embarassed.gif

iostephanos
01-14-2004, 16:24
sorry; accidently repeated a post http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-curtain.gif

iostephanos
01-14-2004, 16:52
Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Jan. 14 2004,10:09)]To the 2 sea captains named George again this goes back to the Names being randomly generated you will find usually more then one repeated throughout the game.
i understand that the game engine will randomly generate names, but i thought that the names made would be drawn from each faction's specific list:

//byzantine_forenames
[Isaac] {Isaak}
{Basileios}
[Romanus] {Romanos}
[Nicephorus] {Nikephoros}
[Constantine] {Konstantinos}
[Michael] {Michael}
[Stephen] {Stephanos}
[Alexius] {Alexios}
[Manuel] {Manouel}
[Andronicus] {Andronikos}
[Theodore] {Theodoros}

here's how i've modded ...\loc\eng\names in mtw vanilla - this is why i was surprised to find george, which is only under the english heading http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-curtain.gif

(in the vi default heroes list, john and george are associated with byz, in case you're thinking that i modded mtw and put in the vi cd by mistake; but i didn't)

in vi, in the ...\campmap\names\default_heroes file, there are specific command lines to assign extra labels to a faction as you know, also to assign princess lists, and to assign the first [n] names of the forenames list found in [b]that file (as opposed to ...loc\eng\names; the order is different) as royal; all of which can be changed, but i don't find something similar in mtw original - that's what i'm looking for

even the statement that the first 8 names are royal is driving me crazy; because in mtw i'll still get a prince and then king manouel, but if you'll notice it's ninth on this list above... so there would have to be another file somewhere with these commands and another list, right?

i hope i'm not being to hard to follow,
steph

Komutan
01-15-2004, 05:54
Quote[/b] (Lord Of Storms @ Jan. 14 2004,08:56)]The only way to do this would be to find the surname in names txt and change it to the Forename, but the problem with names txt is it does random name generating and selection, so while I have found a certain measure of consistency {you will have to experiment}results can vary...LOS
Is it possible to shut off the title feature completeley, when you give title to someone?

For example:

John Smith becomes Lord Smith when he becomes a governor.But can the name remain as John Smith?