PDA

View Full Version : Idea- movement on command

Mithrandir
02-25-2004, 01:01
Don't know if this has been posted before (by me ?), but how about this : allowing a postponed command.

you can order a unit to march to a specific destination and then attack a targeted unit (like waypoints now), but they'll wont move until you've given a signal.

this would allow for more complex manouvres since you'd have micromanaged commands without having to click :).
(instead of having to click 3 times -waypoint1 ,waypoint 2 (move behind enemy lines) attack unit) you'd just give one command. CTRL+M,1 to move group 1 http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wacko.gif

biguth dickuth
02-25-2004, 02:34
let me see if i got it right...

you mean that at the begining of the battle you will give a certain unit (or units) (group1) the order to march up to a certain place and then attack a certain enemy unit. somehow you will keep this order postponed until, at some point in the battle, you will give a certain command (like Ctrl+M,1 that you mention) which will act like a signal for your initialy selected group1 to do what you have preordered it to do.
am i right?

i have to say it doesn't sound bad but it may have a few drawbacks. for example, what will happen if the enemy unit which your unit is supposed to attack is already routed? or what if it has marched to the other side of the enemy battle formation and when your unit tries to attack it, it has to go through masses of enemy soldiers?

anyway, i think it stands good as an idea but someone should be really precaucious when using it.

MiniKiller
02-25-2004, 02:54
ya like when the general raises his arm then puts it down his men will charge.

so ur archers are firing upon a squad of peasents lets say and u set ur unit to attack ONLY when the archers run out of ammo, u can issue the command to attack then when the archers run out of ammo give the signal.

Sir Robin
02-25-2004, 04:10
Good idea but I am not sure about the interface for it.

Would allow for more complex manuvering.

TosaInu
02-25-2004, 15:32
Hello,

I recall that something like this has been mentioned before. A lot of things are, get refined and pop up again. I'ld say there's a serious desire for such things http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The concerns are also valid. It can get very complex/annoying (think 10+ minutes extra wait in deployment) and you risk programming for what won't happen, and worse: not programming for what will happen. I experienced all 3 things in Rainbox Six SP. Part of the game, but it created some frustrating moments.

You could limit it to short term programming (for example realtime during the shootout). This will shift the game from extensive micromanaging to creating a plan (though it will still matter who clicks most effective). What I try to say, it's difficult as you may end up by just changing the type of micromanagment.

At the same time, auto pilot battles will have to be avoided too. On the other hand, as long as the players can decide about the gametype, why not? Rallysimulators have steering-, shifting- and brake help.

There are many things you could add:
-units that have something of an own will to do things (think the autocharging mounted knights and missile units on skirmisch and fire at will).
-Extra buttons/commands for units like engage, fall back or mob up.
-Timeouts.
-AI taking (full) control of some units. Player controls 4, the AI the other 18.
-Another way to achieve this level of micromanagement is the extended teamgame: not just 4 players but some 16 or more in each team. Each player controls only 1-4 units instead of 22. This will come very close to a real battle imho, as it allows the coordination and commandchain.

Any is fine as long as the user/host can turn it on/off.

biguth dickuth
02-25-2004, 19:02
Quote[/b] ]Any is fine as long as the user/host can turn it on/off.

i totaly agree. i think it makes the game more interesting to have many options and be able to activate or deactivate several features. it gives you the ability to play the game the way you think it suits you and pleases you best.

i know that more features and options may require more resources but i'd rather have a "flawless" game that requires a good computer to be played in, than a mediocre game that can be played anywhere.

Knight_Yellow
02-25-2004, 19:05
Ill be happy as long as the General waves his arm when you give orders.

Like in time commanders.

But at this point we dont know how much of TC is just flashy gimmicks to make the show look cool.

Scouts
Generals
New advanced minimap
etc.

MiniKiller
02-25-2004, 19:59
I would like the ability to dismount during battle or if ur dismounted in battle, to ahh whats the word..not route but..grr cant think of it and its on the tiop of my toung, well leave the face of the immediate battle and remount then charge in.

Mithrandir
02-25-2004, 22:30
Withdraw ?