PDA

View Full Version : Generals & Changing Units

darklite
03-12-2004, 17:08
How do you switch a general's troops? Often i get a very good commanding general. Only problem though: he's commanding peasants, or some equally useless troop(or garrison troop).

Can i change the general to command say Heavy Cav (or something likely to survive/be of use)?

I did a few searches, but its kinda a hard one to pin down.

ichi
03-12-2004, 17:32
darklite:

Welcome to The Org http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

The answer to your question is simple - you cannot switch troop types. If you get a 4 star General who happens to be a Peasant, then there is no way to make his unit a Royal Knight (or anything else).

The loss of a General during a battle causes big morale penalties for the other troops, so it is best to not let your Gen fight. I try to not engage my Gen until there is no other hope or the enemy is routing.

So while it is a little odd, don't worry about low quality troop types as Generals. Just keep 'em back out of the fray.

ichi

Qilue
03-12-2004, 17:34
A simple answer is you can't. An alternative is to 'arrange' for a good unit (such as royal knights or similiar) to be produced at the same time as these generals.

I assume you also realise that non-royal generals seem to almost always turn into gay, 6 toed dunkards?

Ludens
03-12-2004, 17:43
Welcome to the Org Darklite.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is that it can't be done. The best you could try is to upgrade your unit with weapons, armour, morale and discipline.

Off course, you might want to know when exactly you will receive a hero. Hero's are high command leaders who will turn up on a set year. You can find out when they arrive when you search in the files in the MTW folder. Or you could download a heroes listing. There is one in the download section of the Org, another one of Ky Kiske MTW: VI Heroes list (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=15783;hl=hero)

Or you could ask Nefarious for his MTW:VI information package. You can find his mail address in Froggy's beginner's guide (pinned topic, Entrance Hall).

I recommend the Nefarious-package: he has got all the heroes plus vices & virtues and some historical information. In addition, you get a list of provinces and GA's. Off course, I haven't checked the one of Ky Kiske, because the link didn't work for me.

Please note that the dates that are given are usually the birth dates of the heroes. They will join your army 16 years after that date. The best unit you finish in that year will contain the hero. So you should make sure you train at least one unit of, say, royal knights, to prevent that, for example, Vlad the Impaler ends up commanding a bunch of peasants again.

darklite
03-12-2004, 17:43
lol... >>> drunken generals

Thanks ichi for the welcome.

I've been playing the total war series on and off for abt two years, but never thought to check Forum sites for tips. Very good forum here.

Its a pity abt the inability to change troops though. I've produced some wonderful Generals but the quality of troops that come with him can sometimes be so bad. I tend to arrange Ambushes, so, my General is often involved in pitched battles, while my flanking/ambushing troops attack from behind. So, it sometimes happens that my general's troops are slaughtered before my troops can get to him.
(I do provide bodyguards/Walls of spearmen or such. But often the generals troops are too impetous)

Still cheers for the info http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif