PDA

View Full Version : Officers

Sir Robin
03-30-2004, 04:48
One thing I have noticed on the TC vids is that every unit seems to have an officer.

In the case of the Phalanxi these officers are not carrying pikes just swords.

Are these officers mini-generals in regards to endurance and fighting ability?

If not I imagine they will die alot. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Will these officers/sergeants affect individual unit morale?

Will these officers show up automatically?

If they are killed in one battle and the depleted unit fights another battle will one of the rank and file automatically become the "officer" or will the unit not have one?

Just wondering...

Kraxis
03-30-2004, 15:54
I wondered at those non-pike officers too, but I suspect they are a bit tougher than the rest, we could have a few nice battles between officers. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

But I think more of cavalry. If the officers in cavalry units are going to be like the general, then a Wedge will have a swordman in front, effectively limiting the Wedge quite a lot. Hopefully that is not the case.

Nowake
03-30-2004, 16:58
wow, I hope we won't have wedge formation anymore ..

The_Emperor
03-30-2004, 17:00
Quote[/b] (Kraxis @ Mar. 30 2004,14:54)]I wondered at those non-pike officers too, but I suspect they are a bit tougher than the rest, we could have a few nice battles between officers. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

But I think more of cavalry. If the officers in cavalry units are going to be like the general, then a Wedge will have a swordman in front, effectively limiting the Wedge quite a lot. Hopefully that is not the case.
Take a good look at the movies and screenies with 'officers' in... The 'Officer' is on the left of his unit, not at the front in the middle. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Sir Robin
03-30-2004, 19:04
If I recall correctly in the Guagemela vid they put the horsemen in wdge formation and combined Alexanders horsemen to it.

I am pretty sure that Alexander was the point of the wedge.

Sir Moody
03-30-2004, 19:26
hence y he droped over dead....

if the loss of an officer effects units morale u can bet your life savings without risk that online people will spend their days charging into the left of a formation so the officer is in the fray

RisingSun
03-30-2004, 23:20
Quote[/b] ]hence y he droped over dead....

Except for the fact that he was the last to fall, and we don't even know how long he had been surrounded and being attacked. I fear Jedi-Generals have not been fixed at all.

Beelzebub
03-31-2004, 00:58
in MTW every unit has an officer. He is the guy with the unit flag at the beginning, when he dies it starts getting shifted around randomly. RTW is just improving on the visual representation of it.

The_Emperor
03-31-2004, 11:39
Quote[/b] (Sir Robin @ Mar. 30 2004,18:04)]If I recall correctly in the Guagemela vid they put the horsemen in wdge formation and combined Alexanders horsemen to it.

I was reffering to the Close formation actually...

But the Wedge we only have Guagemela as a reference, and that is an old version of RTW, so things might have changed.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
03-31-2004, 14:57
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ Mar. 31 2004,04:39)]
Quote[/b] (Sir Robin @ Mar. 30 2004,18:04)]If I recall correctly in the Guagemela vid they put the horsemen in wdge formation and combined Alexanders horsemen to it.

I was reffering to the Close formation actually...

But the Wedge we only have Guagemela as a reference, and that is an old version of RTW, so things might have changed.
But the use of different weapons and the separated placement of the commander is lame in some cases, like the Greek phalanx, for instance.

bighairyman
04-03-2004, 00:00
Quote[/b] (Beelzebub @ Mar. 30 2004,17:58)]in MTW every unit has an officer. He is the guy with the unit flag at the beginning, when he dies it starts getting shifted around randomly. RTW is just improving on the visual representation of it.
Man, i hope it's not a flag bearer Historically, Every unit has a officer. and when they die, they only cost moral drop in the unit they're in.

Remeber how in Mtw, every unit has a unit commander? Well i hope they are represented in RTW, as those officers.

Kraxis
04-03-2004, 01:09
Quote[/b] (Beelzebub @ Mar. 30 2004,17:58)]in MTW every unit has an officer. He is the guy with the unit flag at the beginning, when he dies it starts getting shifted around randomly. RTW is just improving on the visual representation of it.
No not really. The change is more substantial than that.

We do not know about morale and all that conserning the officer, but if you look that the first of the two dusk screenshots you will notice that the legionary units have 60 men (14*4 = 56 + 4 from the rear rank), a nice old TW size, but they also have the centurion and signifier adding up to 62 men. That has made me believe that the officers are extras more or less.

rory_20_uk
04-04-2004, 17:16
I thought a Roman centuary was 60 men in total (except for the first 2 in the Legion which were 120 men).

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smokin.gif

Kraxis
04-04-2004, 17:54
Quote[/b] (rory_20_uk @ April 04 2004,11:16)]I thought a Roman centuary was 60 men in total (except for the first 2 in the Legion which were 120 men).

Depending on the times that is right. But we have to consider that perhaps CA has made the officers and other extras to be just that because it would be... well what do I know? I'm just sure that CA has made it like this for some reason.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
04-05-2004, 03:22
Quote[/b] (Kraxis @ April 04 2004,11:54)]
Quote[/b] (rory_20_uk @ April 04 2004,11:16)]I thought a Roman centuary was 60 men in total (except for the first 2 in the Legion which were 120 men).

Depending on the times that is right. But we have to consider that perhaps CA has made the officers and other extras to be just that because it would be... well what do I know? I'm just sure that CA has made it like this for some reason.
Extras, in what way? Different stats and morale bonus? Or just graphical and position difference?

SwordsMaster
04-08-2004, 09:30
The roman century (the one reformed by Marius) had 80 men, except for the first 2 centuries of the legion that had 160. The Praetorians were handpicked from those 2 ceturies of 160 so it was an honor to b in the first centuries.

Im wondering how powerful the Pretorians are gonna be...Cause in a game called Praetorians (Pyro Studios) they are just 3 times more powerful that normal legionaries...

Aymar de Bois Mauri
04-08-2004, 13:08
Quote[/b] (SwordsMaster @ April 08 2004,03:30)]The roman century (the one reformed by Marius) had 80 men, except for the first 2 centuries of the legion that had 160. The Praetorians were handpicked from those 2 ceturies of 160 so it was an honor to b in the first centuries.

Im wondering how powerful the Pretorians are gonna be...Cause in a game called Praetorians (Pyro Studios) they are just 3 times more powerful that normal legionaries...
That is completelly unrealistic...

TigerVX
04-08-2004, 22:18
I believe the Officers will be the flag bearers. in the TC videos, when you watch Telamon you can see one Flag Bearing Gaul in every unit. But then again, we've seen the new movie has the floating flags again. The officers seem to be unique to every army, maybe it helps identify your own army. They also seem more powerful then normal units.