PDA

View Full Version : Medieval: Total War XL

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Emerald Wolf
08-21-2005, 23:41
Well, with the BDAy coming up maybe Stef will get it for me or something. One can hope.

Emerald Wolf
08-30-2005, 04:56
I have downloaded and installed the mod and now the game won't load... what do I do?

VikingHorde
08-30-2005, 16:28
I have downloaded and installed the mod and now the game won't load... what do I do?
Do you have the 2.01 patch for Vinking Invasion installed? Some of the newest versions of VI is already 2.01 and don't need the patch. You should also check to see if the mod is installed correctly in the right place.
Is it an english or spanish version of MTW you got? If not, then you will need to make some ajustments to MTW (you can see how on page 1).

Emerald Wolf
08-31-2005, 05:32
english version 2.01 I removed MTW and I will try to reinstall the whole 9 yards and see if that helps but who knows. Thanks for your help, it's good to see people care about who plays thier mod.

VikingHorde
09-01-2005, 18:46
english version 2.01 I removed MTW and I will try to reinstall the whole 9 yards and see if that helps but who knows. Thanks for your help, it's good to see people care about who plays thier mod.
Your welcome :bow:

~:cheers:

Ace of Spades
09-03-2005, 15:02
I just wanted to drop a line a give props to VikingHorde. I just started playing MTW using your XL Mod. I gotta tell ya', it's great! It's very professionally done and adds a lot to vanilla MTW. Gotta' try those Naptha Catapults!! Thanks again!!

Martok
09-03-2005, 23:02
I just wanted to drop a line a give props to VikingHorde. I just started playing MTW using your XL Mod. I gotta tell ya', it's great! It's very professionally done and adds a lot to vanilla MTW. Gotta' try those Naptha Catapults!! Thanks again!!

Yep, VH really has done a fantastic job. I didn't think I could enjoy Medieval more than I already was, but downloading XL proved me wrong. ~:cheers:

VikingHorde
09-04-2005, 19:03
Thanks guys, glad you like it ~:) . Im happy to say that the 2.1 patch is almost completed with editted unit morale/stats, faction balancing, a little higher trade value, improvements to the campaign AI, some new info pics, bug fixes and other improvements. All I need to do before uploading the patch is writing som stuff in the readme file and the exel file with unit info ~:) .

Ace of Spades
09-05-2005, 03:25
Great! Can't wait, VH!! ~D

Martok
09-05-2005, 08:28
Thanks guys, glad you like it ~:) . Im happy to say that the 2.1 patch is almost completed with editted unit morale/stats, faction balancing, a little higher trade value, improvements to the campaign AI, some new info pics, bug fixes and other improvements. All I need to do before uploading the patch is writing som stuff in the readme file and the exel file with unit info ~:) .

Cool, VH; looking forward to it!

Although I realize it's too late to be included in the patch, I have a possible bug to report. My other roommate recently downloaded XL (all 3 of us have now downloaded XL onto Medieval, by the way--you've created a monster! ~:cool: ). Everything is working fine, except that the new provinces don't have their names listed on the map.

For example, Khazar and Lesser Khazar are both on the map (you can see the new border and everything), but the actual word "Khazar" appears in the same place as in the original game, and the words "Lesser Khazar" doesn't show up at all. To put in another way, the word "Khazar" is split by the new border you created.

Similarly, all the other new provinces (Murcia, Scania, Mesopotamia, etc.) don't have their names on the map either. The only way to see what the names of these provinces are is to right-click on them (or go to your Province List if you own that territory).

VikingHorde
09-05-2005, 10:20
Cool, VH; looking forward to it!

Although I realize it's too late to be included in the patch, I have a possible bug to report. My other roommate recently downloaded XL (all 3 of us have now downloaded XL onto Medieval, by the way--you've created a monster! ~:cool: ). Everything is working fine, except that the new provinces don't have their names listed on the map.

For example, Khazar and Lesser Khazar are both on the map (you can see the new border and everything), but the actual word "Khazar" appears in the same place as in the original game, and the words "Lesser Khazar" doesn't show up at all. To put in another way, the word "Khazar" is split by the new border you created.

Similarly, all the other new provinces (Murcia, Scania, Mesopotamia, etc.) don't have their names on the map either. The only way to see what the names of these provinces are is to right-click on them (or go to your Province List if you own that territory).
This is not a bug, you just have the small version of the mod that does not have a updated background map (to save space ~;) ). If you download the large version, then they will all be there :bow:

Martok
09-05-2005, 21:40
This is not a bug, you just have the small version of the mod that does not have a updated background map (to save space ~;) ). If you download the large version, then they will all be there :bow:

Ah, I was not aware of this; thanks!

Ace of Spades
09-07-2005, 03:24
Hey VH! Have you made the various factions more aggressive in this Mod? I'm playing on Normal in Late as the Hungarians and it seems that I'm being attacked every few turns. I've even been attacked in the same province by two different factions! They aren't just a bunch of peasants & archers, either. The AI seems to use a lot of the more specialized units. Just wondered since the few times I played vanilla MTW, the AI hardly ever attacked. I'm more of a build and expand type of player, so I'm not used to tons of fighting.

Martok
09-07-2005, 04:49
Hey VH! Have you made the various factions more aggressive in this Mod? I'm playing on Normal in Late as the Hungarians and it seems that I'm being attacked every few turns. I've even been attacked in the same province by two different factions! They aren't just a bunch of peasants & archers, either. The AI seems to use a lot of the more specialized units. Just wondered since the few times I played vanilla MTW, the AI hardly ever attacked. I'm more of a build and expand type of player, so I'm not used to tons of fighting.

I've actually been meaning to ask this as well. In particular, I've noticed the Almohads, while not being as expansionist as they were in the original Medieval, are not nearly the wusses they were in Viking Invasion either. They're now much more aggressive in trying to take back the provinces they've lost to me. In my last Spanish campaign, they tried to reconquer Cordoba and Murcia no less than 5 times each in a 15-year span. They even succeeded in pushing me back to Castille and Valencia a couple times, if only for a few turns.

The Almos are just one example, though. I've noticed that in general, the other factions are more aggresive in both acquiring new territory *and* retaking lost provinces.

Ace of Spades
09-07-2005, 12:12
I've played as the Almohads and was repeatedly attacked by Aragon & Portugal. I would fend them off, they would build up another huge army, then hit again. Then, Spain jumped in and started beating up on me too. While I was fending them off, Sicily attacked me from behind in one of the North African provinces. :dizzy2: This was all in about a 20-30 year span.

bretwalda
09-07-2005, 13:10
I've played as the Almohads and was repeatedly attacked by Aragon & Portugal. I would fend them off, they would build up another huge army, then hit again. Then, Spain jumped in and started beating up on me too. While I was fending them off, Sicily attacked me from behind in one of the North African provinces. :dizzy2: This was all in about a 20-30 year span.

Well, thats why you are playing, aren't you? :wink: Great Mod!

It is no longer easy walking after you gained a few provinces. I am (as the Turks) currently still living on the edge after taking the middle east and africa when Byz attacked. And no one wants to stab them in the back...

VikingHorde
09-07-2005, 19:41
@Martok, Ace of Spades
I have setup the factions so that they are defensive and not agressive. This makes them less likely to attack without having something to back it up. With other words, the AI has more buildup before attacking, making the kingdoms less likely to collaps (they often did in the vanilla MTW). When The AI has buildup for some turns, they start to become more agressive like you guys can see ~;) . The higher farm income and trade setup has also had it's role in making the more active. I alway attack right from the first turn and almost every turn in the begining before the AI gets too strong. I stop my conquest when I have about 10 provinces and start building up my little empire (mostly as the byzantines, they are always fun ~D ).

Ace of Spades
09-08-2005, 01:50
Guess I need to start attacking sooner. I usually don't like to attack until I have a decent sized force.

Thanks for the tip!! :bow:

Martok
09-08-2005, 02:50
@Martok, Ace of Spades
I have setup the factions so that they are defensive and not agressive. This makes them less likely to attack without having something to back it up. With other words, the AI has more buildup before attacking, making the kingdoms less likely to collaps (they often did in the vanilla MTW). When The AI has buildup for some turns, they start to become more agressive like you guys can see ~;) . The higher farm income and trade setup has also had it's role in making the more active. I alway attack right from the first turn and almost every turn in the begining before the AI gets too strong. I stop my conquest when I have about 10 provinces and start building up my little empire (mostly as the byzantines, they are always fun ~D ).

Nice. :bow: So are you basically saying you've turned the AI factions into "turtlers" like myself? If so, then that does explain a lot!

reconspy
09-08-2005, 06:08
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks to VikingHorde for this awesome mod. It's got me playing during the early hours of the morning and it's made MTW fun again. Kudos.

Has anyone ever had problems getting a black screen when you enter a battle? I'm playing a French campaign at the moment, and the Almohads just launched an attack with over 3000 troops in Aquitaine. I Have about 1500 in that province defending it.

However, when the game loads to the battle, all I get is a black screen. A mouse trail is left on the screen, and the F1 windows when you display them. Needless to say I can't actually fight the battle.

In the same scenario, I pulled most of the troops out, leaving only a few hundred troops. The Almohads decrease their invasion force accordingly, down to about 1000 or so. Frustratingly, the battle then loads fine.

So could it be because of the sizes of forces involved?

Conincidently, this very same problem happened in Palestine earlier in the campaign. I was forced to auto-calculate that battle. This is not an option with my situation in Aquitaine.

I have it saved just before the battle, and have restarted MTW and the computer countless times, but to no avail.

I am running an AMD Athlon XP @ 2GHz, 512MB of Corsair RAM, and ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with the latest 5.8 Catalyst. I have MTW:VI, patched 2.01, a fresh install with XL Mod. No other mods were installed.

Can anyone help me? Or does anyone have similar problems? I was enjoying this game too, now I may have to abandon it, and if the problem is persistant, I will probably have to stop playing XL (this has never happened with any other mod).

Thanks in advance.

VikingHorde
09-08-2005, 07:15
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks to VikingHorde for this awesome mod. It's got me playing during the early hours of the morning and it's made MTW fun again. Kudos.

Has anyone ever had problems getting a black screen when you enter a battle? I'm playing a French campaign at the moment, and the Almohads just launched an attack with over 3000 troops in Aquitaine. I Have about 1500 in that province defending it.

However, when the game loads to the battle, all I get is a black screen. A mouse trail is left on the screen, and the F1 windows when you display them. Needless to say I can't actually fight the battle.

In the same scenario, I pulled most of the troops out, leaving only a few hundred troops. The Almohads decrease their invasion force accordingly, down to about 1000 or so. Frustratingly, the battle then loads fine.

So could it be because of the sizes of forces involved?

Conincidently, this very same problem happened in Palestine earlier in the campaign. I was forced to auto-calculate that battle. This is not an option with my situation in Aquitaine.

I have it saved just before the battle, and have restarted MTW and the computer countless times, but to no avail.

I am running an AMD Athlon XP @ 2GHz, 512MB of Corsair RAM, and ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with the latest 5.8 Catalyst. I have MTW:VI, patched 2.01, a fresh install with XL Mod. No other mods were installed.

Can anyone help me? Or does anyone have similar problems? I was enjoying this game too, now I may have to abandon it, and if the problem is persistant, I will probably have to stop playing XL (this has never happened with any other mod).

Thanks in advance.
Sounds odd, I have never had that problem before. I never save the just before a battle, so maybe loading the turn without saving (before battle) would help. There was a guy at the .com who had a problem with loading a battle (he also saved before the battle). Another thing you can do is try reinstalling MTW and see if it helps. The game or savefiles can get corrupted, but save your savefiles before uninstalling. Another thing is checking the computer for viruses, just in case.

Kaiser Sosa
09-10-2005, 14:17
I just DLed the XL mod. Its great! I was just wondering where can i get a list of the new units anddescriptions? Thanks.

VikingHorde
09-10-2005, 23:06
I just DLed the XL mod. Its great! I was just wondering where can i get a list of the new units anddescriptions? Thanks.
There is a exel file in the MTW folder with all units and buildings needed to build them. ~:)

Joshwa
09-12-2005, 11:44
Hey Viking, is the 2.1 patch ready yet? And also I know you may be a bit tired of hearing it, but that is one kickass mod you have made there!

VikingHorde
09-12-2005, 13:27
Hey Viking, is the 2.1 patch ready yet? And also I know you may be a bit tired of hearing it, but that is one kickass mod you have made there!
Thanks :bow: . The patch will be uploaded to tosa's server later today. I'm currently at work so I need to get home first ~;) .

Emerentius
09-15-2005, 20:47
VH
I guess today is not the 12th but the 15th? ~;)
or you work long days, don't your girlfriend complain? ~:)

Ace of Spades
09-15-2005, 23:43
Yeah! We're waitin', VH!! ~:)

VikingHorde
09-16-2005, 07:15
@Emerentius
Nope, I have only known her for some months, so no problems, yet ~;)

@Ace of Spades
I had some problems uploading the patch monday, but I succeded the day after. Tosa just need to upload it to 3Ddownloads server, so it's out of my hands ~:) .

VikingHorde
09-16-2005, 22:11
The patch can be downloaded at Tosa's server, here are the links:

The 2.1 Patch for small version:
http://tosainu.demon.nl/files/files/vik/VH_MTW_XL21_Light_Patch.exe

The 2.1 Patch for full version:
http://tosainu.demon.nl/files/files/vik/VH_MTW_XL21_Full_Patch.exe

I will update the links when they are transfered to 3Ddownloads server.

Emerald Wolf
09-17-2005, 06:08
the link doesn't work VH could you try it again please?

Emerentius
09-17-2005, 10:33
Downloading worked for me.
Thanks VH, will play MTW again now i'm on a break from RTR 6.0 :bow:

bretwalda
09-17-2005, 11:38

It works for me, although really slow.

Btw, I like your signature, I have a T-shirt with the exact same words (That is Bob Marley: Redemption Song - in case you change the sig. later... :wink: )

Ace of Spades
09-17-2005, 14:30

No dice for me, either. It says the site can't be found.

---Works now!! ~:)

VikingHorde
09-17-2005, 15:51
It works for me right now, but it can crash sometimes if it get overloaded. In case it does not work, then just try it later. The files will soon be transfered to 3Ddownloads server there is much faster.

Emerald Wolf
09-17-2005, 19:33
I got it working now, it just downloading slower than old dial up from the early years. BTW thanks for a really kick ass bday present. I was hoping that the trade thing would get worked out.

JR-
09-18-2005, 15:42
cheers VH, will try it asap. :D

Cid
09-19-2005, 04:58
Maybe this is addressed somewhere, but just out of curiousity how come Feudal Knights aren't slightly more expensive/powerful than Norman Knights considering the infrastructure required to build them is greater?? I always mod that (make the F.K. slightly more expensive, even up their melee and increase their armour/charge by 1). I thought that it would reflect slight advances in armour technology. I do the same with Royal Knights seeing as they're the elite of the elite.

Other than that NO questions! ~D

Graphic
09-19-2005, 10:53
I know this is asking much but is there a list of all the new units somewhere? I was surprised to see Sherwood Foresters able to be created when I conquered England as the Spanish. I'd like to know what's there so I know to build to it.

bretwalda
09-19-2005, 11:27
I know this is asking much but is there a list of all the new units somewhere? I was surprised to see Sherwood Foresters able to be created when I conquered England as the Spanish. I'd like to know what's there so I know to build to it.

WHERE? Can I get them as the Irish? I own the British Isles (and the seas everywhere).

That list of units would be soooo nice. :wink:

VikingHorde
09-19-2005, 13:02
There is a folder with readme files and a exel file with unit stats, but there are no info on what factions can build stuff sadly. I did not have the time to finish the stuff and I did not want to keep people waiting for the patch. The info can however be found by opening the production files with the gnome editor. The info will be in the text files in the next 1.2 patch that I am going to release later this year ~;) .

Graphic
09-19-2005, 13:06
WHERE? Can I get them as the Irish? I own the British Isles (and the seas everywhere).

That list of units would be soooo nice. :wink:https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/ubersoldat/sherwoodz.jpg

Mercia.

I can get them as the Spanish so they're available to all catholics who have Mercia.

thx for the response Horde, which folder and what's the filename?

Graphic
09-19-2005, 13:15
NVM I got it! Thanks, the info in this is more than enough!

bretwalda
09-19-2005, 15:50
Cool! I want them NOW :) :wink:

VikingHorde
10-02-2005, 17:28
The patches have now been uploaded to 3Ddownloads server ~:)

The 2.1 Patch for small version:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW/Stats/VH_MTW_XL21_Light_Patch.exe

The 2.1 Patch for full version:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW/Stats/VH_MTW_XL21_Full_Patch.exe

DukeofSerbia
10-05-2005, 10:50
Hello Viking Horde,

I installed small version+patch and game didn’t crashed so far. Next week I’ll download full version on faculty. BKB mod is obviously better, but for my friends and me your mod have few uniqe things – Serbians in every era.
With some improvements your mod would be better.

Archers question:
I noticed that archers and crossbowmen have long range (even on horses). I think that destroying game – what is purpouse of English Longbowmen if everybody have long range. I will back everybody to short range exceppt Longbowmen and Arbalesters.

Peasants:
I will back them at least as rebels. Peasants have a lot of ways for using them.

Serbian coat of arms:
This is not medieval Serbian coat of arms (cross with four ocila (firesteel)) – that’s from XIX century (Principality of Serbia). But I personally don’t care for that. And on Carska Garda shield I noticed wild boar’s head. That was used as stamp (together with cross with four ocila) in First Serbian Rebellion (against Ottomans) in 1804-1813. Anyway, GREAT job.

Serbian title:
It is nice to see title tsar of Serbia, but it’s unhistoric. Serbian medieval rulers were kings (rex). Only Stefan Dušan Silni (Mighty) was emperor (tsar is Russian title) of Serbs and Romans. When he died his son Uroš became emperor, but very weak. Dušan’s half-brother Siniša became emperor of Epirus as Simeon Paleologues.
Conclusion – Serbian ruler have to be king in early and high (in late emperor).
Conclusion 2 – Carska Garda have to be renamed in Kraljevska Garda (Royal Guard).
Couclusion 3 – Master of Tsar’s Stable have to be Master of King’s Stable.

Serbian forenames:
Great job but with few mistakes –
Belos is surname; Aca is nickname (from Aleksandar); Asim is wrong spelled – Acim is correct; Borenko is Russian I think (Serbian is not defenitely); Cedomil is wrong spelled – Cedomir is correct; Djodja doesn’t exist; Djoka is nickname (from Djordje); Dzevat is moslem name; Hurem is moslem name; Ivico is Croatian name; Mijalko is wrong spelled – Milojko is correct; Momsilo doesn’t exist; Murat is moslem name; Nebosja is wrong spelled – Nebojsa is correct; Nermin is moslem name; Niko is Greek name; Pacu is surname; Pedrag is wrong spelled – Predrag is correct; Preki is surname; Punisa – never heard; Radoje is wrong spelled – Radivoje is correct; Semi – never heard; Sima is nickname (from Sinisa); Suljo is moslem name; Vasa is nickname (from Vasilije).

Serbian surnames:
I see a lot of surnames from Serbian politicians and sportsmen ...
Blasevic is wrong spelled – Blazevic is correct (but that’s Croatian); Chacic is wrong spelled – Dacic is correct; Ckrebic is wrong spelled – Skrbic is correct; Djurdjuvic is wrong spelled – Djordjevic is correct; Drach is city in Albania; Dudukovic is moslem (I think, but Serbian is not); Erkocevic – never heard; Grol is Croatian; Gvero is Croatian; Haravan – never heard; Hrnjak - ?; Kajosevic – never heard; Karkunica is wrong spelled – Kostunica is correct; Kordic is Croatian; Kukcenjac is wrong spelled – Kuknjevac is correct; Lovre is Croatian; Macura – I heard for that, but I’m not shore; Nacuk – I think Croatian; Ogrijenovic is wrong spelled – Ognjenovic is correct; Omeragic is moslem; Radoncis is wrong spelled – Radonjic is correct; Radosavijevic is wrong spelled – Radosavljevic is correct; Ragulovic is wrong spelled – Radulovic is correct; Svetozar is surname; Tukovic is wrong spelled – Tuckovic is correct; Utjesenovic – never heard; Vujica is nickname; Zimojic is wrong spelled – Zimonjic is correct; Zukic - ?; Zuzoric is Croatian.

I will change wrong names at home.

Next time I will comment Serbian troops.

bretwalda
10-07-2005, 15:28
Hi there,

I don't think "BKB mod is obviously better". I certainly very much enjoy playing it and enhanced the the original game. Maybe BKB fits someones playing style better but I find it rude to tell like this especially right here. I don't have to tell anyone how many hours and how much work VH put into this.

DoS, I'd suggest to ask whether you can contribute to the project with the data you posted...

Anyway I just had to say it, sorry for the offtopic.

VikingHorde
10-07-2005, 18:35
Archers question:
I noticed that archers and crossbowmen have long range (even on horses). I think that destroying game – what is purpouse of English Longbowmen if everybody have long range. I will back everybody to short range exceppt Longbowmen and Arbalesters.

Peasants:
I will back them at least as rebels. Peasants have a lot of ways for using them.

Serbian coat of arms:
This is not medieval Serbian coat of arms (cross with four ocila (firesteel)) – that’s from XIX century (Principality of Serbia). But I personally don’t care for that. And on Carska Garda shield I noticed wild boar’s head. That was used as stamp (together with cross with four ocila) in First Serbian Rebellion (against Ottomans) in 1804-1813. Anyway, GREAT job.

Next time I will comment Serbian troops.
I don't wan't a "best mod" topic here, so it's best to keep it XL mod only. Feedback on how to improve the mod and historical info is cool.

Archers question:
All bow/Arbalesters/crossbow and javlin units have longer range, it is something I have played around with for better gameplay. I like the longer range, but if most people don't like them, then they will be changed back again.

Peasants:
They are rebel only, but I can't remember if they only apear in rebellions or the rebel AI can build them. Factions will not get them, because they suck.

Serbian coat of arms:
If you can get a picture or something of the flag, then it would be good. I try to make the mod historical correct, so info is cool.

Third spearman from the left
10-23-2005, 18:15
At last i can post here!!! VH I just want to say well done on all your hard work. XL 2.0 has been been so much fun to play and i've only played one game as the HRE, taking back the lost lands of rome and rebuilding the empire ha ha! Your attention to detail has been great and in keeping with the history of the game, so thanks for that.

I've just downloaded the new patch and can't wait to play, so what new things can we expect to see?

Also, by extending the range of arrow troops have you made normal archers the same as longbow men? Or at the same time made longbowmen range twice as long?

VikingHorde
10-24-2005, 10:29
At last i can post here!!! VH I just want to say well done on all your hard work. XL 2.0 has been been so much fun to play and i've only played one game as the HRE, taking back the lost lands of rome and rebuilding the empire ha ha! Your attention to detail has been great and in keeping with the history of the game, so thanks for that.

I've just downloaded the new patch and can't wait to play, so what new things can we expect to see?

Also, by extending the range of arrow troops have you made normal archers the same as longbow men? Or at the same time made longbowmen range twice as long?
All units have extended range, so the longbows also longer range. The patch adds some new unit info pics, bug fixing, tweeking of the AI, renamed some factions and other stuff I can't remember ~D

10-26-2005, 18:08
Hi VH,

Have you allowed all christian factions to crusade in the new patch? I like the idea of longer range, i think it could help make some of the javelin troops a lot more effective in battles. Can't play the patch at the moment as my computer is being repaired, but hopefully this weekend I can start a new game. My old game as the HRE did load up after the new patch went on, is it likely to be playable??

thanks.

:charge: brave, brave sir robin...

VikingHorde
10-27-2005, 12:19
Hi VH,

Have you allowed all christian factions to crusade in the new patch? I like the idea of longer range, i think it could help make some of the javelin troops a lot more effective in battles. Can't play the patch at the moment as my computer is being repaired, but hopefully this weekend I can start a new game. My old game as the HRE did load up after the new patch went on, is it likely to be playable??

thanks.

:charge: brave, brave sir robin...
Only the Danes, Hungarians and Order factions (teutons, ect.) have been added as crusading factions, so not all have them.

With the patch installed you can still play the old 2.0 games, but you will not benefit from all the bugfixes and tweeking in the 2.1 version until you start a new game.

10-27-2005, 12:42
Sorry for all these questions, hope i'm not taking up too much of your time. Why only those few factions? Why not the Irish and others? The reason I ask is that I've been reading 'Crusades' by Terry Jones (monty python) and he talks of range of nationalities that went on crusade. It got me to thinking that although the Irish, for example, didn't crusade as a nation certain christians would have wanted to. So in theory, if the Irish had been more powerful at the time (like france and england) they would, if in their interest, have gone on crusade as well. So allowing all christain factions to crusade, would I think, now make sense. What do you think?

ps: can the pope crusade?

edyzmedieval
10-27-2005, 12:57
Hey VH my friend. How's it going?!

When can we expect a MTW XL for RTW?! ~:cheers:

Looks like it's time for me to go back to MTW, to play with some serious AI. ~:cheers:

@Spearmen

Making all the factions to Crusade isn't a very good idea, IMHO. That means that the Danes could Crusade, but they didn't.

Oh, the Pope can't Crusade.

10-27-2005, 13:56
hi edyzmedieval :bow:

The problem is that some Danes did crusade, as a nation they did not that is historical true, but groups of Danes did join the crusade movement. I also thought having all factions crusade was a bad idea but I'm now starting to think it would be more realistic to have the option open. Also the crusade was a tool of the pope, so why not allow him to crusade?

PS: VH in late games have you still got the 1453 end date active? I've been told the end date can be extended, to give more time in these games.

:charge:

Martok
10-28-2005, 04:28
hi edyzmedieval :bow:

The problem is that some Danes did crusade, as a nation they did not that is historical true, but groups of Danes did join the crusade movement. I also thought having all factions crusade was a bad idea but I'm now starting to think it would be more realistic to have the option open.

Yes, giving all Catholic factions the ability to Crusade may be more realistic. However, it would also almost certainly wreck gameplay, especially in regards to balance. The Muslim factions (along with the Orthodox and Pagan factions, for that matter) would have a very difficult go of it if every Catholic nation could crusade against them.

10-28-2005, 15:06
Hi Martok, :bow:
you make a good point my pointy forehead friend, but how often have the smaller factions built a crusade in your games? Factions like the scots and irish never seem able to finance a crusade, never mind sending it, when i'm playing. But a simple solution might be to change the build time and cost of a crusade for those factions not meant to crusade. For example the Irish can crusade but the build time is 6 years and 1500 florins. If this can't be done then reducing the build time and cost of jihad, would allow a quicker strike back to large numbers of crusades.

What do you think son of kayless?

:duel:

VikingHorde
10-28-2005, 19:34
The reason why the Danes have crusades, is the fact that they did crusade as a nation. They had one crusade to Pommeramia and one to Estonia, but they were not as big as the crusades to the holy lands. They were mostly a lot of christian contryes combined, not that the brits and french worked together. As far as I know, the pope asked for help and "good" kings send an amount of knights for the "job" ~:) . Also a lot of people joined the crusade freely, making most crusades a mix of nations. The Danish crusades were pretty much only danes fighting the pagans.

About crusades in the game, I am a little affrayed that giving all christian factions access to crusades would unbalance the game. I have reduced the AI's priority too build them, but it could still be a problem.

@Third spearman from the left
The game stops in 1453 like in the original game, but it is possible to extend it by adding one line in the startpos files ( \campmap\startpos\early_xl.txt ). I might add the line in the next patch, to make it easyer for people to change to date. I like the 1453 date, but some prefer 1492 or 1500 (maybe even 2000! ~D )

@edyzmedieval
There will not be a XL mod for RTW, because it's too much work for me now. When I started the XL mod, I was unimployed with lots of time on my hands (and no girlfriend ~;) ). Now I have a fulltime job and a girlfriend, so large scale modding is currently impossible. The Chivalry TW modding team is also doing a great job at modding RTW, a much better job than I could ever do with my very limited 3D skills. I have helped them a little with historical info and some text work, so it is okay ~:) .

NodachiSam
10-29-2005, 23:39
I just freed up a bunch of space on my computer so I'm going to try out this mod~:cheers: What is the difference between the light and full versions of the mod? I know the later has new music, but is that it?

10-30-2005, 00:48
Hi VH,
thanks again for your words of wisdom :bow:

I know very little about making mods to games, would that end date change be hard to perform? I don't want to mess the game up ~:confused:

In GA games the end date for points to be won should be 1453, I agree with you. But when you have a really good game going with a faction, it seems a shame not to be able to see how things work out. In the first Civilization game I remember you could play on after the end date just to carry on taking the world over, but no points were counted.
ps: what did you think about making jihads quicker to build and cheaper, as a way of solving the too many crusades problem?

:duel:

"I am Arthur, king of the Britons"
"who are they!?"

edyzmedieval
10-30-2005, 10:45
@edyzmedieval
There will not be a XL mod for RTW, because it's too much work for me now. When I started the XL mod, I was unimployed with lots of time on my hands (and no girlfriend ~;) ). Now I have a fulltime job and a girlfriend, so large scale modding is currently impossible. The Chivalry TW modding team is also doing a great job at modding RTW, a much better job than I could ever do with my very limited 3D skills. I have helped them a little with historical info and some text work, so it is okay ~:) .

Viking Horde,

Well, personal above all! ~D

Good luck man with your gal and the work.
Can we expect a XL mod update? Version 3 or patch 2.2.?!

Cheers! ~:cheers:

VikingHorde
10-31-2005, 11:35
@NodachiSam
The differens between the large and small version is the large version has new music tracks and an updated background map the the new province names. The small version has the new provinces, but the names of them do not show om map (the borders are therehowever).

I don't know if it would be historical correct to let them crusade, but I can see you have a point there. I also belive the small factions would have crusades if they got big enogth, but it's a hard one.

@edyzmedieval
Thanks ~D . A 2.2 patch will properly be released some time, but I don't think there will be a 3.0 version. We will see ~:)

Aurelian
10-31-2005, 19:30
My two cents on crusades: Crusades in MTW are really a mechanism to let factions like the French, English, and Germans get their troops to the other side of the map so there can be some sort of semi-historical crusading in the Holy Land.

Factions like the Spanish and the Danes did their crusading locally because they had heathens nearby. I've never had it come up with the Danes, but the Spanish in MTW frequently send crusades to the Holy Land when they never would have done so in reality... being preoccupied with the Reconquista and/or Islam in North Africa. It can be entertaining, but it's not particularly accurate historically.

Just because something was called a crusade in real life doesn't mean that it will fit comfortably into MTW's crusade paradigm. Moving Catholic bishops into a heathen province and invading it works just as well to simulate local crusading.

11-02-2005, 18:36
I can see everyone has a different take on the merits of crusades for all latin factions. So I'm going to leave that in VH's capable hands (when he puts down that axe) ~;) , but one thing I do what to know is if people think jihads work as a response to crusades. I must admit that i've seen very few jihads from the AI in games I've played. The AI seems to do well in building crusades but not jihads, maybe this is something which can be looked at? I think cheaper and quicker build times on jihad could prevent crusade overload.

Any views? :bow:

NodachiSam
11-05-2005, 01:38
Thanks for the response VH. I'm downloading the larger version now. I'll be sure to enjoy this :)

NodachiSam
11-05-2005, 22:07
I'm really enjoying this mod so far, nice job Viking Horde! ~:cheers: I like all the flavour that is now in the eastern half of the map.

Third Spearman from the left: I think it would have been better to treat jihads the same way as crusades mechanically. In history military jihads were offensive as often as defensive, if not more. However, Islam is treated with soft kiddy gloves.
See herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_jihad

11-07-2005, 14:58
Hi NodachiSam,
you make a good point but I'm just wondering if jihads in the game can be moded in that way at all. VH will know :bow: Although jihads can be offensive how many in this period were started? All the ones I can think of were reactions to crusades and so were defensive.

any takers? ~:confused:

ps. who are you playing as at the moment?

VikingHorde
11-07-2005, 18:35
@Aurelian
You have a good point, so I don't think there is any need for any more crusading factions. The current setup properly has a good balance, but I have not played the mod enogth to say how the for surre.

@NodachiSam
Im glad you are enjoying the game ~D

The jihads can only be declaired on former muslim provinces taken by christians, so there is no way to make them offensively (hardcoded). You only need to own a christian province for one turn before you can start a jihad (if you have lost the province to christians again).

Weebeast
11-08-2005, 10:32
I'm downloading this. It sounds pretty good and it seems that you improved the AI to play the way we play this game.

[edit]
Download link ain't working.

[edit]
Nevermind.

Hey man, I'm downloading the large version but I don't want the music pack. How can I sort this out since it's auto-install and all? I know I could just put back my own music but then I have to deal with the startpos files. You have suggestion?

VikingHorde
11-08-2005, 12:48
Hey man, I'm downloading the large version but I don't want the music pack. How can I sort this out since it's auto-install and all? I know I could just put back my own music but then I have to deal with the startpos files. You have suggestion?
You can't edit the auto-install, so you will need to do it another way.

You can disable the new music by editting the startpos files. All you need to do is find the lines about music, change the number from 3 to whatever you like insted (muslim, viking, ect.). There are some notes inside the files, so it should be easy.

Another way is to install the small version ontop of the large version. That way you get the new map, but keep the old music.

If you wan't to add your own music, then you will need to rename your wav files and paste them ontop of old music files. Mp3 format will not work, so you will need to convert them.

11-08-2005, 14:07
VH,
I understand your points on jihad. I'm going to play XL some more and see what things happen, i'll keep watch for jihads and let you know. One thing that I have noticed is that the AI is building very balanced armies which is really good, and the new units look great, info pics etc. I've seem the sherwood forester units for the English and was wondering what other rebel units from the VI game can now be built?

Martok
11-08-2005, 16:48
Another way is to install the small version ontop of the large version. That way you get the new map, but keep the old music.

This is actually what I've done, and it works quite well. ~:) Which leads me to another questions for VH: Which patch should I be downloading? The large version, or the small version?

VikingHorde
11-09-2005, 08:25
They can be build i mercia by any catholic faction, I think ~:) . I don't know about the orthedox factions, it's a looong time ago I made the changes ~;) .

This is actually what I've done, and it works quite well. ~:) Which leads me to another questions for VH: Which patch should I be downloading? The large version, or the small version?
You should use the small version patch, if you don't want the new music. If someone wants to disable the new music, then it can also be done by first installing the large version of the XL mod, then the small version patch. An easy'er way than first installing the large mod, small mod and then small patch ~;) .

11-09-2005, 15:29
VH,
do you have any plans to add more iron resources to your next update? when you look east there are so few iron resources for muslin factions, maybe someone knows of historical places for iron in the east?

Belisarivs
11-09-2005, 16:22
VH,
do you have any plans to add more iron resources to your next update? when you look east there are so few iron resources for muslin factions, maybe someone knows of historical places for iron in the east?

Those sources of iron are rather disputable. IMHO armour needs more iron than swords or so.

11-09-2005, 18:47
Well lets find the most convincing source and place some iron on it. Egypt I'm thinking would be best?

Ideas anyone?

Weebeast
11-10-2005, 03:42
http://www2.uiuc.edu/unit/psames/meinfo.pdf

That is not 1087 but I guess you can use it as earthquakes never really turned middle east inside out.

[edit] I just started a new campaign as Hospitallers and it's really hard. One can only survive by invading an new territory. In Rhodes, one can build a hospital to add income and I did build it but it's still not enough to build army to invade the mainland. I even had to disband my halberdiers. I invaded Crete, which only had a unit of 7 royal knights to increase income. It helped a bit as I could cut down forests and improve farms. There rest of the story is unfold and my eyes are set on my allies, Kingdom of Armenia and the formerly-known Kingdom of Jerusalem in Cyprus. Mamluks, Venetians and Byz are just too powerful.

I have a question. Why do the pieces appear on top of each other after I hit the end-year button? It not important; I'm just curious.

11-10-2005, 18:57
Thats a very good link, how about using this to add a iron resource to XL?

Maybe not Egypt but that small place to the right begins with a C i think ~:confused: what area would that fall under?

VikingHorde
11-11-2005, 08:24
http://www2.uiuc.edu/unit/psames/meinfo.pdf

That is not 1087 but I guess you can use it as earthquakes never really turned middle east inside out.
The problem with the data is that it is modern times, not info from the medieval era. With modern technologi it is possible to extract iron from more places (impossible before) than in the pre-modeern era. The data could however be usefull, if someone could confirm that they also had iron in the medieval era.

Eternal Champion
11-11-2005, 14:12
As I see it iron only becomes important later in the game and this gives anyone a chance to "acquire" some. It's just as far for the English to get as it is for the Turks or Eggies.

11-11-2005, 16:09
VH, I'll try to find out if there were any iron resources in med times and let you know. By the way, did you say that the Danes can crusade in XL? If so in early can Sweden & Norway also crusade?

Deus ret.
11-13-2005, 14:35
In the first place, thank you, VikingHorde, for all the work and effort you out into this awesome mod. It's the reason why I abandoned RTW and started playing MTW again....a hell lot of fun! :bow:
I wouldn't write, though, if there weren't some issues. I haven't read through 28 thread pages so this may already have been adressed, but what's really troubling me is that battles become 'unaccessible' once the size of the armies exceeds a certain limit (not sure about the threshold, though; often it seems to suffice if the enemy has reinforcements). Upon starting a battle, the loading screen appears, but instead of an overview over the scenery I get a black screen, although the sign of the region appears and if I move the cursor, I can still target (not select, though) my troops which are somewhere behind the black. Since cursor traces and the unit descriptions don't disappear, that's a somewhat whimsical impression.....do you know anything about that? I already have the latest graphic drivers installed and when I played vanilla MTW:VI before installing the XL mod, everything went well....
any hints? anyone? I still want to be able to efnd off 2000 men with 750 or so...

VikingHorde
11-14-2005, 12:25
Only the Danes can crusade, Sweden & Norway can't. Some iron info would be nice, Thanks ~:)

@Deus ret.
I have not had this problem in my games, so it could be a corrupted savefile or game. Try reinstalling the mod ontop of the MTW again, maybe it will work. Have you installed the XL mod 2.1 patch? It solves most of the bugs in the mod. You can also try reinstalling MTW and the mod, if anything els does not work (please remember to backup your savefiles ~;) ).

axel
11-14-2005, 13:22
hi all i have a question i want to download TW XL but i see a small version and a big version wot is the differents may i ask witch one do i get ????~:cheers:

axel
11-14-2005, 13:36
hi again i have somme more questions please are the somme screenshots i cant find them and is the mod now all done and bug free and wot year dose it play i meen is it stil middle age ??? and is it a self distract for install???? cane somme one help me please?

Weebeast
11-14-2005, 20:47
No bugs... I haven't encountered any. I get cted when I quit campaign (pressing esc button) instead of being directed to main menu but that had been happening to me even before the mod.

I can assure you that there's no bugs. One thing I noticed is that the high and late faction descriptions aren't showing. That's it.

The difference between small version and large is that the large has custom music, new images, etc. It starts in the same year as the original; nothing's changed.

It's really fun, dude. There's new trading stuff so you don't get tired mocking the AI factions for not being able to link fleet. There are new minor factions that will give you challenge when you play them such as Latin States, Knightly Orders, Portuguese, etc.

You can still play your viking campaign and original MTW without the need of making a separate install. The strategy map of the original MTW is overwritten though.

axel
11-14-2005, 22:00
wooooowiieeee DAMN NICE THX weebeast do you now of there are any screenshots of the mod???? i want this mod thx mate~:cheers: ~:cheers: ~:cheers:

axel
11-15-2005, 22:42
hi mate s if i download the full 2.0 version must i also put the patch 2.1 on as well i think so but i am not shure cane you please tell me this is my second mod i play its all new to me~:cheers:

Aurelian
11-16-2005, 01:12
hi mate s if i download the full 2.0 version must i also put the patch 2.1 on as well i think so but i am not shure cane you please tell me this is my second mod i play its all new to me

Here's what you need to do to avoid problems:

1) Install a new clean version of MTW
2) Then install a new clean version of VI
3) Then install the 2.1 patch
4) Then install the mod

If you follow those steps, everything should work fine. It's a very stable mod.

VikingHorde
11-16-2005, 08:07
Here's what you need to do to avoid problems:

3) Then install the 2.1 patch
4) Then install the mod

If you follow those steps, everything should work fine. It's a very stable mod.
The correct order is:
3) Install the 2.01 VI patch (If it is needed)
4) Then install the 2.0 mod
5) Then install the 2.1 patch

If you install the patch before the mod, the bugs from the 2.0 will still be there and other changes will not take effect.

axel
11-16-2005, 09:21
hi mate thx for reply i have a fresh MTW with 1.1 patch then i done Vikinginvasion with 201 patch so now i have to do the full mod 2.0 and then the 2.1 patch for the mod???? and are there somme screeshots of the mod??? :duel:

VikingHorde
11-16-2005, 10:03
hi mate thx for reply i have a fresh MTW with 1.1 patch then i done Vikinginvasion with 201 patch so now i have to do the full mod 2.0 and then the 2.1 patch for the mod???? and are there somme screeshots of the mod??? :duel:
Jepp, just install the full mod 2.0 and then the 2.1 patch ~:) . There are no uploaded screeshots at the moment, they have disapeared some time ago.

EDIT: You can maybe find some pics on this page from the mod. A lot of people have posted pics from XL campaigns and other mods:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=47087

Aurelian
11-16-2005, 11:22
Oops. My bad. I forgot the mod patch in my instructions. Nicely caught.

As for screenshots of XL, the only things that are really visually different are the loading screen and the map. There are a few additional unit shields and the like as well. The only difference in the map is the province boundaries. Everything looks very similar to regular MTW, so the need for screenshots isn't huge.

axel
11-16-2005, 13:06
thx mate cant waith to play the mod ill download it in the weekends and ill let you now :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

11-17-2005, 14:57
VH...I'm playing an early/expert game as the volga's (my first as a brand new faction) and its going really well. But something strange happened, my Muslin king had two princesses ~:confused: they worked fine, could move around and court husbands. I've married them off to a couple of generals and the game is still running fine, but thought I'd let you know

"life as a spearman...never at the sharp end"

VikingHorde
11-17-2005, 15:04
VH...I'm playing an early/expert game as the volga's (my first as a brand new faction) and its going really well. But something strange happened, my Muslin king had two princesses ~:confused: they worked fine, could move around and court husbands. I've married them off to a couple of generals and the game is still running fine, but thought I'd let you know

"life as a spearman...never at the sharp end"
Hmm... sounds odd ~:confused: . They should not be able to make them, good thing I made a "backup system" in case it sould happen. Normaly the game would write "no pics" and other bug reports, so I am happy the game runs without problems ~:) . The only pagan/muslim faction that gets princesses is the Lithuanians, so that is not a bug ~;) .

Pericles
11-17-2005, 16:34
VikingHorde:

I just installed your XL Mod (light - 28mb) yesterday and have been playing as the Crusaders for the past few hours.

I am having a great time. Let me say that you have produced a wonderful mod. It is very professional. I love the shields, units, layout, etc. So far I have encountered no problems at all. The fact that I can play additional factions is a great bonus.

For quite a while now I have wanted to play as the Teutonic Order, the Knights Templar, and as the Hospitallers. Thanks to you, this is now possible.

It is a pity I waited this long to play your mod.

Thanks to you, and to your contributors, you have produced an excellent mod.

The interesting thing is that when installed, I can play all the XL campaigns in addition to playing all the default game campaigns as well. The XL Mod does not over-write any default game campaigns. GA campaigns are also playable in the XL Mod.

For those who don't know much about this mod, here are some of the highlights about it from the readme:

Medieval: Total War XL Mod 2.1 Final 30/8-2005
By Miguel Kristensen alias Viking Horde
Miguel-k@jubii.dk

This Mod is for use with Medieval Total War with Viking Invasions expansion only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes from the original game:

New factions added:
- Armenians
- Bohemians
- Bulgarians
- Crusaders
- Cumans
- Genoese
- Hospiller Order
- Irish
- Lithuanians
- Norwegians
- Portuguese
- Scots
- Serbs
- Swedes
- Teutonic Order
- Venetians
- Volga Bulgars

Factions made playable:
- Burgundians
- Golden Horde
- Novgorod
- The Papacy

Provinces added:
- Algarve
- Estonia
- Greater Poland
- Lesser Khazar
- Levidia
- Mesopotamia
- Murcia
- Savoy
- Scania

Buildings added:
- Bank and Royal Bank added to give the Orders more economic power.
- Pagan shrine and pagan sacrificial shrine added to help pagan loyalty
- Pagan Monument, a unique pagan building like the cathedral that gives morale bonus and higher loyalty.
- Hospital that gives some income, higher loyalty and morale.

Other changes to the original game:
- New GA and Prebattle shields for all factions
- GA mode playable with all factions, including the new factions.
- New unit stats making the battles harder and more realistic.
- Lots of new units and some improved old units.
- New economic trade structure, no more huge trade empires.
- Farm Income 30% higher because of new trade structure.
- Landbriges removed (But not the link between Scania and Denmark)
- Improved AI, acting more clever and building better units.
- New pagan strategic units, including a shaman
- People of Novgorod and Russians are playable in all eras
- Italians replaced by the Genoese and Venitians
- Swiss removed from the game
- The mod can also be played in Spanish language.
- Auto-install (The install finds the MTW folder automaticly)

2.1 Patch changes
- Removed some minor bugs
- Added new flags for the Cumans, Volga Bulgars and Golden Horde.
- Added info pics for some of the new units
- New bow type for steppe units, giving them longer range because of their superior bow.
- Ajusted the range of the different types of projectiles to improve realism and gameplay.
- Ajusted trade income, increasing the income a little.
- Improved the AI to make it better at building up it's economy.
- Renamed a lot of factions for more historical correct names.
- Playlist has been changed so that all 3 new tracks now play (Large version only).
- Rebalancing of the mod, improving gameplay.
- New titels for pagan and muslim factions (Pagan Monument, Grand mosque)
- New Irish heroes

For more info, go to the "Charts and Readmes" folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pericles
11-18-2005, 02:45
Here is an update on the XL Mod (light):

I am currently playing on Hard, GA, no time limits on battles, and I gave all other factions just 25,000 florins (while I started with the original 6,000 florins).

I have been playing as the Crusaders for several hours now, and I have been having a blast. I am barely holding on to Outremer (the original 3 provinces I started with in the Middle East).

The Moslem factions have launched countless attacks, including 2 Jihads.

The new unit mix/production in this mod has produced some very tough battles. Almost every battle has been a nail-biter, resulting in the fact that I have had to closely manage every battle, using every single tactic and technique that I can think of.

This mod has come the closest to a true Crusader States Mod for MTW.

My Knights Templar have been reduced to just a few men. I am trying desperately to research the correct buildings so that I can re-train them.

Almost all my units now have quite high valour, having fought off several desperate attacks by one of the Moslem factions. Heaven help me if all the Moslem factions join up and decide to attack me.

I never thought I would look forward to seeing the Golden Horde...:charge:

Run, do not walk, to download this wonderful Mod.

axel
11-19-2005, 00:33
first i got one thing to say ........vikinghorde you ARE the best i like your mod mate its real great i downloaded it and i am playing for a hour i think i play one of the mongolhord i still have to find out how i cane play the mongol golden horde becose i see two mongol horde in the early campain but i love it mate its a damn nice mod man you are great keep up the good work its really great ~:cheers:

Weebeast
11-19-2005, 01:05
I know you already removed peasants and I really like that. It's just that whenever I turn "auto-build" on I still get loads of urban militias except in provinces that have bonuses. How do I get around this trouble? I'm pretty lazy training troops manually especially when I have a huge empire lol. Well, it's no big deal.

I'm currently playing as English from early. It's almost 1205. I've got all GG's but Brittany Goal. It's held by Castilians and I'm scared of them lol. They just rolled over the French. There's like 14,000 of them in Champagne. I'm kinda focusing on the life of Richard the Lion-hearted at the moment. He just captured Egypt from Fatimids. He didn't get to be king though. Another heir popped up before he got the crown. Anyway, he's commanding 5,000 troops and healing it before he can advance to Sinai and connect Egypt to the holylands and the surrounding provinces. After that he's gonna take on the recovering Byzantines. I'm not familiar with other english characters so I just ignore the rest in that are in Seljuk territories and Scandinavia lol.

Pericles
11-20-2005, 00:03
Weebeast:

I would suggest placing all troop builds on auto, and then just manually alter troop types in a few different provinces on every turn...

My XL (Light) v2.1 campaign so far:

It's 1259 AD and I survived many Muslim attacks. In addition, I had to fight (and defeated) a French Crusade that was launched to take Palestine (which I held at the time). Fighting Muslims, and now French Catholics, has truly given the fighting in Outremer a surreal quality. Much as it did in real life...

The Papacy is also excommunicating heretical factions left and right...

I have made in-roads into several other Mid-East provinces (after some tough battles) and now I hold about 6 provinces.

The Golden Horde has appeared - and they are to be feared. With the XL Mod's reduction in trading income, I find I cannot build huge army stacks. Thus, when the Horde makes its appearance, those huge stacks look imposing.

In the Vanilla game I used to take Georgia (as a choke point), and then build up my troop types to prepare for the Horde. Now, however, the Horde has attacked several provinces in the Middle East (it stands at the door of Constantinople) and borders several provinces I hold. I have no doubt that the Horde is also spreading throughout Asia and Eastern Europe.

The Horde is a plague that must be stopped...

At the moment I cannot expand further without attacking either my allies or the Horde (which is neutral). Since I have maxed out my troop numbers, my next objective will be to expand my trading system, get my Knights Templar retrained, and prepare for either attacking the Horde or (which is more probable) waiting for the inevitable pagan horde attack.

Right now the Golden Horde has taken on the appearance of a huge, deadly storm cloud that is just waiting to break forth from its confines. It is sniffing out weakness and is attacking those factions over whom it feels it can defeat.

With its tentacles spread throughout the Middle East I have no doubt that the Golden Horde is bidding its time before it unleashes its deadly warriors upon my valiant Crusaders.

Time is short.

I must prepare for the Day of the Horde.... :charge:

axel
11-21-2005, 11:42
hi question is there somme where a site where you download pics of units and pitchers look at link http://members.aol.com/bogdanovaslava/Aaa.html do somme one nows where

axel
11-21-2005, 11:45
like of this XL mod you have also new units and pitchers of it where do you get those pitchers you no if you train new units you will get a pitcher of the warrior it tells you wot unit size and wot it cost like you see on the link
http://members.aol.com/bogdanovaslava/Aaa.html i hope so

bretwalda
11-21-2005, 18:17
like of this XL mod you have also new units and pitchers of it where do you get those pitchers you no if you train new units you will get a pitcher of the warrior it tells you wot unit size and wot it cost like you see on the link
http://members.aol.com/bogdanovaslava/Aaa.html i hope so

Well thats cool, man except where are the rest of the units?

axel
11-21-2005, 20:51
?????? lol i am just asking for pitchers of units from XL like on the link :bow: :bow: :bow:

11-22-2005, 15:05
I'm getting nervous......:hide:

Its 1202 its XL (heavy) I'm the Volga's in the early and I've got this strange feeling that the devil is coming (should be here for 1230 he is always on time). I'm doing ok, have a strong base, building up farm lands and castles but this XL mod makes picking fights very tricky. I've got a good fleet of ships for trade but I can't afford to lose that income with a reckless attack....although there are some tempting targets.

BUT THE HORDE ARE COMING!!!

Pericles
11-27-2005, 00:10
My campaign so far:

The date is now 1280:

The dreaded day of the Horde came with a vengeance - it attacked me without notice.

After many desperate battles I managed to contain the Horde.

However, no sooner had I stabilized the situation in the Mid-east then my so-called "Allies" - Turkey and Sicily - attacked me by surprise (that's the thanks I get for saving their butts from being over-run by the Horde).

Sicily had one province in the Mid-east and it attacked one of my weaker provinces and won the battle. I managed to hold off Turkey (which also had one province in the Mid-east) after beating back several attacks.

After dealing with the Horde, my forces were weak and depleted and I needed time to re-build. However, after being attacked by my allies I had to scrape together as many troops as I could and attack them both.

After a tough series of battles I managed to contain both Sicily and Turkey.

However, Sicily had developed a huge fleet and after a series of large naval engagements it now controls the eastern half of the Mediterranean. Licking my wounds I have withdrawn my fleet to home waters. I simply don't have the strength to take them on at this point.

This loss in ships and ports also means a reduction in trading income...

My future plans:

I am holding the Horde at Georgia. I will ignore them for the moment and concentrate on defeating Turkey and Sicily in the Mid-east and drive them out. Then I will consolidate and re-build my forces. Then I will take Georgia and go defensive against the Horde (the Horde has expanded north and north-east and has been battling Russia for many years).

After this I plan to seize Constantinople from Sicily and then build a huge fleet and win naval supremacy in the Mediterranean. This last task will be daunting since Sicily does have a huge naval presence in the Mediterranean.

VikingHorde
11-27-2005, 22:48
Sorry I have not been around lately, but I did not have a computer so could not get on the internet. Sounds like you guys are having fun, maybe i'll start playing MTW again now that I have a computer ~:) .

@axel
I sadly don't have any pics like those, but maybe someone can post some pics from their current campaign. ~;)

axel
11-28-2005, 13:12
hi mate np ill look arround for pics i am playing your mod mate its fantastic i really mean it i think it looks real profecional i think MTW is still the better then RTW i play RTW to but i love MTW and your Mod make s it complete .
are you maybe thinking to make a new Mod for MTW ???~:cheers: ~:cheers:

11-28-2005, 15:58
An update: Its 1230 AD.......and they are here!!
Now if I didn't know any better I'd say the reason VH has been away for so long is because he's been playing the Danes in my campaign ~;p I have never seen the danes so active and they control all of what was France and England and have a massive fleet and income. They started on the Bzy recently and then the Fatamids. Egypt I took as well as Sicily from rebels so my income is large, and I've built up my homelands and troops for the horde. but then in 1229 a Crusade by the Danes came to Egypt!!

No!!!!!!!!! We had a treaty ~:mecry: but VH was no match in this battle ~;)
But now the horde is here and they are big and a naval battle with the Danes will reduce my income and my fleet.

A war on two fronts.....I hear the call of Jihad!! :charge:

Weebeast
11-28-2005, 16:50
I don't know if this is just me but I notice zeal goes down very fast, huh? Especially near the end of the game, most provinces have 0% zeal. I never noticed something like this before I got XL.

Graphic
11-28-2005, 17:47
I've been playing XL for a very long time, and I know that trade income is significantly reduced but I never figured out to what degree. I just build farms now instead of building ships for trade incase its almost nothing. So is it still worth it to build up a trade network or is it so reduced that I shouldn't bother.

.:vVv:.Monkey
11-28-2005, 18:35
I've been playing XL for a very long time, and I know that trade income is significantly reduced but I never figured out to what degree. I just build farms now instead of building ships for trade incase its almost nothing. So is it still worth it to build up a trade network or is it so reduced that I shouldn't bother.

I believe VH has made several changes to the trade structure.

1) The value of the goods in coastal provinces have been decreased; this results in lower trade income for the coastal towns which in turn dramatically
decreases the income from sea trade.

2) There's a setting in the starpos file for each era which (I think) determines the amount of money you can earn from trading. In the original it goes:

//========================================
// This represents the percentage of the export
// value, imported goods are worth..

SetImportPercentage:: 20

However, in VH's version and in RazorAI mode, this "20" value has been changed to "80" I assume raising this value decreases trade income, if so, then the trade income may have been reduced by 4 fold. If I am wrong, then maybe someone can correct me about what this value does. ~:cheers:

11-28-2005, 18:37
Two more things to report VH,

First: My Muslin king had another daughter, again she was fine, she had a picture and could move around and marry. So no problems there but thought you would like to know.

Second: Am I wrong in thinking that each faction can only start one crusade or jihad at a time. The Genoa's had two crusades moving at two different provences at the same time. Is that meant to happen?

Weebeast: Zeal in my early game is very low too, sometimes even 0 and I always build temples to keep the little people happy.

Graphic: Still build a fleet up, its always good to have that protection. Also the income from trade is still large its just that you need to put more build time on ships and trade buildings in before you can reap your rewards.

Graphic
11-28-2005, 19:30
I see, thanks for the responses.

VikingHorde
11-28-2005, 23:27
@Weebeast
I have only seen the zeal drop 0% in provinces, that has been converted to another religion than province originaly had. I have also seen this in the original game, so it should be normal.

@Graphic
Coastal provinces haver lower income, but you can still make a lot af money on trade. Trade just have less influens om the economy in this mod, but land has more influens. Inland provinces can get high trade income, because high value goods are only in the non-coastal provinces.

@.:vVv:.Monkey
I have made some tests to see what effect the value has and my conclusion is that I don't see much change at all. I think the value has something to do with income from imported goods to the players kingdom. Increasing it from 20 to 80 should increase income (I think), but im not shurre.

Another princess? I will need to look into this, because it sounds odd ~:confused:

Graphic
11-29-2005, 02:24
So building up inland trade buildings is akin to building up farms? I think I get you.

Vladimir
11-30-2005, 13:58
I'm an XL fanatic and can't see how the game can be enjoyed without it. I also wanted to say good job on the Armenians :bow: . They have the best music, horse archers AND mounted crossbowmen (I love mobile firepower), and the armor piercing 100 man strong infantry is nice too. I just wish they had a little more attack value. Oh well, that's what Morocco is for ~D .

I started playing them with an earlier version of the mod which gave me easy medium cav which were taken away(?) after the newest patch and I’m not too impressed with their "royal" knights. I must say that it was like hell fighting across Africa with armored spearmen; I really didn't see any other way to counter all their cavalry and missiles. The beginning was tough as I had to take on the Fatmids(?) for the "ransom the Sultan" bit. Thankfully the Byzantines teamed up with me to take out the Turks, I just hope the horde helps check their expansion ~:eek:

I'm still trying to decide on armored spearmen vs. Latin Auxiliaries. It would be nice though to check the growth of the factions. It's too easy to tech up and generate income; I’m richer then the mighty Byzantines only controlling Africa, the lands south of my starting position and trade. I'm thinking of trying to double the cost and maybe maintenance for troops/buildings.

Graphic
11-30-2005, 16:48
I'm an XL fanatic and can't see how the game can be enjoyed without it.:bow:

Weebeast
12-01-2005, 02:33
Second: Am I wrong in thinking that each faction can only start one crusade or jihad at a time. The Genoa's had two crusades moving at two different provences at the same time. Is that meant to happen?
I don't think we can have more than one active crusades but the AI factions can. I don't know whether VH did anything or not but yeah I experience the same thing.

https://img460.imageshack.us/img460/5678/twocrusades7cq.jpg

Gtafanboy
12-02-2005, 00:02
Sorry to be lazy but did you write the explanations that you get when picking factions? Like it says how hard they are and explains there position and stuff. I am just wondering because when I modded the other factions in it didn't come up(this is regular VI).

Pericles
12-02-2005, 18:44
VikingHorde:

The only thing I noticed is that a few factions will/may become rebels due to the fact that their King is killed in battle and they have no heirs....

It seems odd that England would die out as a faction because there is no King within 15 years of playing in the high period.

My suggestion for the next patch would be to give most factions more heirs and/or princesses...

It's not a biggy, but I think it would maintain the flavour of the mod by keeping most factions in the game....

Great mod....

I love playing the Military Order factions: The Teutonic Knights and Crusaders....

Cheers!

VikingHorde
12-04-2005, 18:22
@Weebeast
I have not made any changes to crusades, so there should only be one at the time. I have never seen two crusades at once, so it sound a bit odd. I don't know if there has been more than two crusades i the original MTW, so I can't say if it is mod related.

@Gtafanboy
The faction desciptions is written by anothe guy, but I placed them in the game. Only early era will show correctly, but desciptions in high and late doesn't. I think they are hardcoded in a way, because I can't make them all work ~:confused:

@Pericles
I love the crusader factions too, lots of cool units ~:) . I will add more heirs to the game, but only to factions with small royal units (20 men). Lots of royal uniy with 40-80 men destoys the economy ~;)

Pericles
12-04-2005, 21:57
I started a new campaign as the Crusaders, High, Hard, GA.

I also gave all other factions 50,000 florins. This amount of florins seems to produce the best results - ie it allows the AI factions enough money to build up troops and buildings. Plus wars seem to occur sooner and there's more Crusades ... :charge:

Anywho...

I was at war with the Muslims. They attacked Antioch. It was 3,000 Saracens vs my 1,000 Crusaders.

I studied the terrain for the defence. I placed all my infantry on a hill. Just below this I noticed there was a slight valley rising to another hill producing a slope behind which I placed all my knights (they were hidden from the enemy).

On top of this slope, in front of the knights, I placed all my foot archers.

Finally, I placed my horse archers well in front near the enemy.

The battle started:

My horse archers played havoc with the enemy, raining down a hail of arrows upon the Saracens. I made sure that I attacked the enemy infantry sword and spear units, which would allow my knights to take out the enemy archer units.

Then, when the enemy came withing range, my foot archers also attacked the enemy infantry.

This hail of arrows whittled down the enemy's units to almost nothing.

The Saracens then attacked with several Ghulam heavy horse, while it advanced with its archers....

All my archers (both foot and horse) then rained down arrows upon these attacking Saracen horse units.

Finally, just as the enemy was getting within close range of my foot archers, I unleashed my knights and my infantry upon the Saracens.

Needless to say, this ambush worked. The enemy was taken by surprise and my troops slaughtered them...

At this point the enemy was in full retreat. So I decided to pursue them.

This was a big mistake...

Remember, the enemy outnumbered me 3:1.

As I pursued the enemy, I was getting farther from my reinforcements and allowing the AI to get closer to its reinforcement location.

But my troops were heady with victory, and on they drove, feeling victory within their grasp...

As my troops drove on, I started to see more and more fresh enemy troops appear. But there was no turning back, since my troops who were in the lead, needed support from those coming from behind.

Soon, more enemy troops appeared, and my brave infantry and knights fought off each attack, defeating every new enemy unit that appeared...

Still...

More enemy troops appeared...

On and on it went...

There was no end to the attacking enemy troops...

My valiant Crusaders fought like lions...

Finally, exhausted, and surrounded, my few remaining troops lost heart and fled...

It was a slaughter....

I lost the battle....

The casualties?

The Saracens lost almost 2,000 troops; I lost slightly less than 1,000 (200 of which were killed in the retreat).

Of my 240 knights, I had only 3 left... They were all at 8 valour...

Now I know how the Crusaders felt after the Battle of Hattin. My army was shattered.

Now the Saracens controlled Antioch. I scraped together more troops, attacked, fought another tough battle, and I drove off the Saracens...

But alas... two evil, scheming knights betrayed me, and together with forces under their command, they siezed Antioch and took refuge within the castle walls.

Those troops who were loyal under my command then had to storm the castle, to deal with these treacherous villains...

All-in-all, when it was finally over, my army in Outremer was shattered, loyalty was wavering, and the Saracens were preparing for another attack...

:knight:

axel
12-05-2005, 10:37
Hi vikinghorde i am playing the scotts and i did make a line off ships to sweden and denmark and russia but i cant attack norwegen and sweden and russia they have ports and i am not in war att the moment ???? is this normal i cant remember this in MTW do you now off this is good??? ~:cheers:

Weebeast
12-05-2005, 11:17
You should've attacked first since the beginning. Egypt makes huge money as the game starts. Syria and Palestine usually make ribats first. It seems to me that you'll be packing your bags and head to Cyprus. ~;p Regardless, you're still having fun. Last time I bribed Constantinople so my king could at least be excited if he got kicked out of Antioch. ~;)

I agree with your way of making the game more challenging. Giving more start-money helps the factions to prepare. I usually play on normal and I give all factions 10 grand just like on easy setting. I planned to give more but I wasn't sure whether the game would still be "fun" or not lol. Alrighty then, I'm giving them more florins. Anyhow, I notice The Hospitallers get stuck in Rhodes because they're out of money. I don't have problem playing as them but the AI does.

Axel, you need to sink their ships first.

Viking Horde, this is new to me too as I hadn't seen something like that before. Thanks for clarifying though. If it's been the original feature then it's just a shame that it took me this long to experience it. I know the muslims can have more than one active jihads. It's kinda cool, isn't it?

Gtafanboy
12-05-2005, 12:49
You shouldn't of took away Peasents. They were always the best Govoners(hehe sp?).

axel
12-05-2005, 13:11
hi weebeast i am not at war with them i just wanted to attack them but i cant get in there country and i have a line with ships from scotland to russia and they have ports so i should get on there lands for war or trade but this is not possible i think i never see this in the MTW ?????and i most say playing the scotts is hard money ~D

Pericles
12-05-2005, 16:48
Weebeast:

Yes, giving more florins to the other factions, as I have indicated above, will make all the factions much tougher to fight.

Axel:

You cannot invade another country IF that country has any ships that are in the same sea zones as your ships...

First sink that country's ships that are in the sea zones leading to the province you want to invade. Once those ships are gone, you can then invade...

axel
12-06-2005, 13:07
hi mate yes i now but thats only if you are in war with them i tought ???
even if i pick up my unit the country dont blink light it dose with other country s but a fue it dose notand they all have ports if take my unit to spain or france then it works fine???

Pericles
12-06-2005, 16:23
Hi mate

This prevents sneak attacks from the sea.

If you want to attack a province from the sea, and if that province has ships in the sea zone around it, you must first sink those enemy ships.

axel
12-06-2005, 22:20
hi mate ok ill will give it a shot thx mate:bow: :bow: :bow: ~:cheers:

King Baldwin IV
12-07-2005, 06:07
hi all. i started playing MTW again and downloaded the full installation and patch. i installed it onto the MTW VI that is patched. the campaign map is ok but the borders look like this (https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/gallowglass/00000002.jpg). ~:confused:
is it something with my display or its like that?~D thanks.

axel
12-07-2005, 13:09
hi mate i dont now wot that is it works fine on my computer maybe your grafics????

12-07-2005, 14:22
King B: Your borders should not be like that, but as long as the main map is fine, then i'd just leave it for now. Play the game for a bit and see how it runs.

King Baldwin IV
12-07-2005, 15:20
axel & Third spearman from the left: yes its my monitor problem again. its working fine now. thanks! :D

VikingHorde
12-07-2005, 17:24
Carolus Magnus has PM me with this info:

Multiple crusades are indeed possible. If the Pope has been "discomfited mightily" by a faction and calls for a crusade, anyone may launch a free crusade against that faction during that turn, even if they already have an active crusade.

I've had three crusades active at once due to this, against three different factions. I don't know if multiple crusades may be started against one faction when the Pope calls for a crusade, I haven't found myself in a position to check this.

It seems that the Crusades work correctly ~:)

@Pericles and Weebeast
I don't think adding more money to the campagn in the mod files is a good idea (adding it to official mod), because the player will also start with a high amount of money. Most players of the mod properly can't mod or change the file on their own, so it properly best keep the low start money. Experiensed modders can make the changes, so that will not be a problem. ~;)

@Weebeast
I think there can be more than one jihad at the time, but im not shure. jihads doesn't work the same way as crusades, so it could be possible (have not tested it).

Pericles
12-08-2005, 01:28
VikingHorde:

Hi

There's no problem changing the amount of money in your mod. As you can see below, it's very easy. A person must first select the faction they want to play (in my case the Crusaders) and then give ALL OTHER factions more money. In the case below, I gave myself 10,000 florins, but I gave all other factions 50,000 florins.

With the new troop mix in your mod, it makes for some very tough battles.

Next time, to make things a bit tougher I will probably give myself 6,000 florins and all other factions about 75,000 florins.

The key thing for people to remember is to select their faction first and THEN give all other factions more florins.

Cheers!

//Starting Treasury
//Sets the amount of cash available to
//each faction at the start of the game.
//you can specify 4 values for the four
//difficulty levels in the order EASY,
//NORMAL, HARD and EXPERT. Specify only one
//value to start all difficulty levels with
//the same size treasury.
//If you don't set this, the default
//is 2000 florins for all difficulty levels.
SetTreasury:: FN_ALMOHAD 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_BYZANTINE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_DANISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_EGYPTIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_ENGLISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_FRENCH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_GERMAN_HRE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_ITALIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_POLISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_RUSSIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SPANISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_TURKISH 10000 8000 50000 4000

SetTreasury:: FN_ARAGONESE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_BULGARIANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_GOLDEN_HORDE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_HUNGARIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_NOVGOROD 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_PAPIST 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SICILIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_PORTUGAL 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_CUMANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_CRUSADERS 10000 8000 10000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_TEUTONIC 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_LITHUANIANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_VOLGA 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SCOTS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SERBS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_ARMENIANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SWEDISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_GENOANS 10000 8000 50000 4000

Dooz
12-08-2005, 20:08
VikingHorde:
For quite a while now I have wanted to play as the Teutonic Order, the Knights Templar, and as the Hospitallers. Thanks to you, this is now possible.

I recently downloaded the mod and first off let me say I really enjoy it. However, I don't see a Knights Templar faction. It's not in the added factions list either I believe. Is that just another name for the Teutonic Order you used? Also, how come the Tuetonic Order's starting position is way up where it is?

Pericles
12-08-2005, 22:05
I recently downloaded the mod and first off let me say I really enjoy it. However, I don't see a Knights Templar faction. It's not in the added factions list either I believe. Is that just another name for the Teutonic Order you used? Also, how come the Tuetonic Order's starting position is way up where it is?

If you play the Crusaders (in High XL) you will have Knights Templar units. Once you build the appropriate buildings, you will be able to build/re-train those units.

The Knights Hospitaller are buildable if you play the Genose (on Rhodes I believe).

VikingHorde's Mod is excellent, but I am still hoping that a true Crusader States Mod can still be made....:charge:

Dooz
12-09-2005, 04:42
Thank you sir, may I have another.

Weebeast
12-09-2005, 06:02
Also, how come the Tuetonic Order's starting position is way up where it is?

They were given land up there after the Outremer fell (Acre is where they were founded). If I remember it right, their HQ moved to Transylvania, then up there.

edit - Hmm.. interesting. Teutonic Knights should be in Wallachia in high period. Historically they were there for a short amount of time until they got expelled lol. Oh ok, I can see why they're up there.

axel
12-09-2005, 09:24
pericles hi mate cane you explane how you cane chance the money to more and where you cane chance it ????i like to give somme factions more money ~:cheers:

Dooz
12-09-2005, 11:12
They were given land up there after the Outremer fell (Acre is where they were founded). If I remember it right, their HQ moved to Transylvania, then up there.

edit - Hmm.. interesting. Teutonic Knights should be in Wallachia in high period. Historically they were there for a short amount of time until they got expelled lol. Oh ok, I can see why they're up there.

I know I can easily research this online, and I will do so if you don't indulge me, but I've always heard of this Outremer and never fully known what it is. Sounds interesting. A specific area of land?

Pericles
12-09-2005, 15:53
pericles hi mate cane you explane how you cane chance the money to more and where you cane chance it ????i like to give somme factions more money ~:cheers:

Hi :)

Here is how to give other factions more florins. It's very easy.

Here's how:

1) Go to this directory in your MTW game:

C:\Program Files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\startpos

2) Before you make any changes, make copies of all the original text files you see in this folder. This way you can revert back to the original files any time you like. Now open the file for the era you want to play (such as Early_XL, High_XL, etc). In this example, open the "High_XL" text file.

3) Now scroll down until you see this section below. As you can see, the amount of florins given to each faction is listed according to difficulty such as EASY, NORMAL, HARD and EXPERT. In the example below, I have selected to play on HARD (the third column) and have decided to play the Crusader faction. I gave myself 10,000 florins and gave all other factions 50,000 florins.

//Starting Treasury
//Sets the amount of cash available to
//each faction at the start of the game.
//you can specify 4 values for the four
//difficulty levels in the order EASY,
//NORMAL, HARD and EXPERT. Specify only one
//value to start all difficulty levels with
//the same size treasury.
//If you don't set this, the default
//is 2000 florins for all difficulty levels.
SetTreasury:: FN_ALMOHAD 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_BYZANTINE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_DANISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_EGYPTIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_ENGLISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_FRENCH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_GERMAN_HRE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_ITALIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_POLISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_RUSSIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SPANISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_TURKISH 10000 8000 50000 4000

SetTreasury:: FN_ARAGONESE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_BULGARIANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_GOLDEN_HORDE 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_HUNGARIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_NOVGOROD 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_PAPIST 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SICILIAN 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_PORTUGAL 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_CUMANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_CRUSADERS 10000 8000 10000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_TEUTONIC 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_LITHUANIANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_VOLGA 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SCOTS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SERBS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_ARMENIANS 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_SWEDISH 10000 8000 50000 4000
SetTreasury:: FN_GENOANS 10000 8000 50000 4000

4) Once you have inputted the amounts you want, save the text file, exit and then play your game.

5) You can do this for ALL eras in the game, for any mod, or for the vanilla game. Just remember to FIRST select the faction you want to play, THEN give all other factions more florins. You can give other factions as little as 10000 florins or as much as 2000000 (2 million). DON'T use commas to separate the numbers. This is a very effective way to increase the difficulty level for very little effort.

Pericles
12-09-2005, 16:04
I know I can easily research this online, and I will do so if you don't indulge me, but I've always heard of this Outremer and never fully known what it is. Sounds interesting. A specific area of land?

Outremer means:

Outremer, French for "overseas," was the general name given to the Crusader states established after the First Crusade; County of Edessa, Principality of Antioch, County of Tripoli and especially the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

The name was often used as an equivalent to Levant, Syria or Palestine, and incorporated areas that are today also part of Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon.

axel
12-10-2005, 00:11
hi pericles thx mate ill give it a go :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dooz
12-10-2005, 00:37

Outremer means:

Outremer, French for "overseas," was the general name given to the Crusader states established after the First Crusade; County of Edessa, Principality of Antioch, County of Tripoli and especially the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

The name was often used as an equivalent to Levant, Syria or Palestine, and incorporated areas that are today also part of Israel, Jordan, and Lebanon.

Thank you ~:) . To the Outremer! :charge:

Pericles
12-10-2005, 01:23
hi pericles thx mate ill give it a go :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

My pleasure - have fun.

BTW, when I played the Teutonic Order and gave all other factions more florins, the AI whipped my butt. I'm gonna have to give them another go sometime and redeem myself...

Cheers!

Pericles
12-10-2005, 01:24
Thank you ~:) . To the Outremer! :charge:

Tally Ho!

Legorreto
12-12-2005, 21:02
VH: (or any other)

I have recently dowloaded, installed and played the Mod. It's great indeed. But I had a problem. After playing about 20 or 25 turns as the Almos, I was fighting the Spanish in Cordoba (for about the third time) and suddenly the computer crashed completely and restarted.

Of course I lost the non-saved changes (not that important though) but the fact of being crashed makes me worry.

Please make any comments about, just to know if maybe I am doing something wrong or so.

TKS 2 all

:san_grin:

12-14-2005, 01:15
sounds strange, the XL mod is perfect and I've never had any problems playing the game. I suggest defragmenting your hard drive just so it can make sure all your files are in the right place and easy to access.

VikingHorde
12-14-2005, 23:12
@Legorreto
Sounds odd, normal bugs and corruptions just makes the game CTD, so it could be a hardware problem (is your computer too hot) or something els. Most problems are driver related, so that might be it.

@Pericles
The guide looks cool, maybe I will add it to the XL notes for other people to ajust the files :san_wink:

Legorreto
12-15-2005, 17:19
Thanks VH, I noticed I overloaded my RAM so that made, somehow, restart my PC. Nex time I'll close all active programs and sub-programs before playing.

This goes for all who may have a problem like mine. Check and close all active programs before playing MTW because seems to use lots of resources (al least did with mine)

Thanks again VH

Legorreto
12-15-2005, 18:47
VH:

One more thing. I don't know if this may be possible (as I am not an expert in programming at all) I also have 56Kb modem, so if I try to download the Large version of the Mod, it would take me about 13 to 14 hrs (as the download estimated time says)

Therefore I wondered if there is a possibility to download the Mod by parts, ie: Maps, Music, Units, etc separately so they can be uploaded independently and this would take less time ofr many of us.

Just an idea...

VikingHorde
12-16-2005, 12:28
VH:

One more thing. I don't know if this may be possible (as I am not an expert in programming at all) I also have 56Kb modem, so if I try to download the Large version of the Mod, it would take me about 13 to 14 hrs (as the download estimated time says)

Therefore I wondered if there is a possibility to download the Mod by parts, ie: Maps, Music, Units, etc separately so they can be uploaded independently and this would take less time ofr many of us.

Just an idea...
It is not possible to download the mod in parts, but you could use a download manager or accellerator of some kind. They have resume, so that you don't have to start over, if the connection is lost. You could also download the small version of the XL mod. The only difference between the two is new music and an updated background with the new province names. Both have the same units, gameplay, graphics, amount of provinces ect. :san_wink:

12-16-2005, 16:23
Hi VH,
just another quick question. In my volga game (early,expert,XL large) I bribed some rebels to join me. They were former danes and they agreed to help me. Once they joined my army all their unit leaders pictures changed style to match those of my current generals, has this always happened? I thought the unit leaders pictures always stayed the same even if generals of other cultures joined your ranks.

Legorreto
12-16-2005, 17:58
It is not possible to download the mod in parts, but you could use a download manager or accellerator of some kind. They have resume, so that you don't have to start over, if the connection is lost. You could also download the small version of the XL mod. The only difference between the two is new music and an updated background with the new province names. Both have the same units, gameplay, graphics, amount of provinces ect. :san_wink:

VH

I have alreaady downloaded the short versoin and it is great indeed. I just though it could be possible the other way. Anyway, thanks a lot for the response. I am enjoying the game a lot indeed. A LOT!

Good job! Congratulatoins!

Regards

VikingHorde
12-16-2005, 18:13
Hi VH,
just another quick question. In my volga game (early,expert,XL large) I bribed some rebels to join me. They were former danes and they agreed to help me. Once they joined my army all their unit leaders pictures changed style to match those of my current generals, has this always happened? I thought the unit leaders pictures always stayed the same even if generals of other cultures joined your ranks.
It sound a bit odd, normaly they only change picture when the general dies. I bribed some muslim units in my byzantine campaign and they did not change culture :san_huh:

King Maker
12-16-2005, 18:29
Great mod, have been playing it for some months now. I love the new factions and units, great work :san_cheesy: .

If you guys wan't to nominate the XL mod for an Award, then go here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Weebeast
12-17-2005, 13:46
About the culture switch, I think it has something to do with piety but I'm not sure. My general of mamluk horse archer has a german name and is catholic but the potrait is arab. The ghulam one still has his arab name, arab potrait and has no piety.

Martok
12-17-2005, 23:20
VH, you rule; come here so I can kiss you! I finally got around to downloading the patch, and I couldn't contain my delight to see that you re-inserted the various unit bonuses back into their respective provinces. I now get my +1 Highlanders and +1 Vikings again. Whee!!

Seriously, though, the game plays even better than before--no mean achievement, given how much replayability your mod has added to MTW already. A big congrats and thank you to VikingHorde for all his hard work on the XL mod! ~:cheers:

Ciaran
12-18-2005, 12:37
I´ve just started playing the XL mod with the Germans in High. Very nice...and tough. Within two turns the Genoese attack my only ship, no one will accept alliances and all other factions around me seem to be way more built up and having more troops than I do. But then, I have Switzerland and those nice Swiss Halberdiers :san_grin:

By the way, not that I mean to complain, but why is the second farming level (40%) the land clearance? It makes no difference to the gameplay (at least i think so), but somehow logic dictates you have to clear land before improving the farming :san_wink:

VikingHorde
12-18-2005, 15:25
@Martok
Im glad you are injoying the game :san_cheesy:

@Ciaran
Land clearance is there because it indestructible. The reason for this is to keep the income strong and help the AI, because it has a habit of not building much in empty province.

Martok
12-19-2005, 06:58
VH, you rule; come here so I can kiss you! I finally got around to downloading the patch, and I couldn't contain my delight to see that you re-inserted the various unit bonuses back into their respective provinces. I now get my +1 Highlanders and +1 Vikings again. Whee!!

Holy crap, I just realized I can crusade as the Danes since the patch! I take it that was deliberate, VH. So do any of the other "non-crusading" catholic factions now have the ability to Crusade, or did you only add the Danes to the "can Crusade" list? And what kind of units can appear in a Danish Crusade (I assume I can't get any of the Order knights)?

VikingHorde
12-19-2005, 14:01
Holy crap, I just realized I can crusade as the Danes since the patch! I take it that was deliberate, VH. So do any of the other "non-crusading" catholic factions now have the ability to Crusade, or did you only add the Danes to the "can Crusade" list? And what kind of units can appear in a Danish Crusade (I assume I can't get any of the Order knights)?
In history the Danes had a crusade to pommeramia and estonia. The danes got the danish flag in estonia, legend says that it fell from heaven and it's properly the oldest national flag in the world :san_wink: . The hungarians can also crusade, but they don't get any crusader units, can't remember what the danes get (maybe teutonic knights). The AI is setup so there will be less crusades, so factions properly need a great deal of cash before they start them.

Ciaran
12-19-2005, 14:51
VH, did you tinker with the diplomatic behaviour as well? In vanilla I used to get showered with alliances, but now I consider myself happy getting one on the way. On the other hand, all surrounding factions gang up on me. You should, by the way, reconsider the difficulty rating for the HRE in High, it´s definitely hard. No chance of ever getting a ship launched (they get butchered by the three Genoese galleys, giving them just cause for a war), my emissary or princess can´t reach another faction within the first year, meaning I can´t make alliances before the AI can make its, practically isolating me diplomatically. The fact that all surrounding factions seem to punch out high-grade units at twice the time I can produce them plus all of them being allied (see above) doesn´t make things easier.

VikingHorde
12-19-2005, 23:04
VH, did you tinker with the diplomatic behaviour as well? In vanilla I used to get showered with alliances, but now I consider myself happy getting one on the way. On the other hand, all surrounding factions gang up on me. You should, by the way, reconsider the difficulty rating for the HRE in High, it´s definitely hard. No chance of ever getting a ship launched (they get butchered by the three Genoese galleys, giving them just cause for a war), my emissary or princess can´t reach another faction within the first year, meaning I can´t make alliances before the AI can make its, practically isolating me diplomatically. The fact that all surrounding factions seem to punch out high-grade units at twice the time I can produce them plus all of them being allied (see above) doesn´t make things easier.
I have not editted the diplomatic behaviour of the game, but it is harder to get alliances (I think). It properly the size of the HRE that makes all other factions hate them. In my current High/Expert game as the Byzantines, it's fairly easy to get alliances in the beginning, but after my empire gets a size of about 10-12 provinces, I start loosing all alliances when nabours start wars against me. I don't care that much, because I just kill them all :san_grin:

Ciaran
12-20-2005, 10:31
You might be right about the size, in one try at it I got battered down badly, all the upgraded provinces lost and all of a sudden I get showered in alliances. Diplomacy is weird ~:dizzy:

King Maker
12-20-2005, 18:21
You might be right about the size, in one try at it I got battered down badly, all the upgraded provinces lost and all of a sudden I get showered in alliances. Diplomacy is weird ~:dizzy:
I have seen this too, big factions are not the most popular ones in the game. A HRE game is never easy, but it kind of fun :san_cool:

.:vVv:.Monkey
12-21-2005, 02:07
I have not editted the diplomatic behaviour of the game, but it is harder to get alliances (I think).

Is there a way to edit diplomatic behaviour? I thought that was hard-coded :san_undecided:

VikingHorde
12-21-2005, 17:11
Is there a way to edit diplomatic behaviour? I thought that was hard-coded :san_undecided:
No, I think it is hardcoded. The only way to influens diplomacy (indirectly) is by making factions build more units, so that the player isn't as powerfull as in the old game. In the original game, the player mostly has the biggest stacks of units (at least in my games).

Ciaran
12-21-2005, 17:22
One technical question, why does your mod need three file sets for units and buildings and what are the differences between them? I mean, all the _prod files seem to contain the same units (with the same stats), the "early" file has Gothic Sergeants (first Late era unit to come to my mind ;) ) and the Late file has...don´t know, there are that are only available in the earlier eras and disappear after a time.

VikingHorde
12-21-2005, 21:41
One technical question, why does your mod need three file sets for units and buildings and what are the differences between them? I mean, all the _prod files seem to contain the same units (with the same stats), the "early" file has Gothic Sergeants (first Late era unit to come to my mind ;) ) and the Late file has...don´t know, there are that are only available in the earlier eras and disappear after a time.
The mod needs three files because the three era's has a different faction mix. Not all factions in early era is pressent in high era, but the era's has the same units in the file. The reason why the three files has the same units, is the unit limit in MTW. The unit limit can be bypased, but at the expense of userfriendlyness (renaming files when start playing a new era).

Beirut
12-22-2005, 13:04
Morning,

Just installed it last night (the 20 meg version), this looks like a great mod. Thanks for the effort. :bow:

Two things; first, how do I use the 635kb mod12fix exe.? Do I run it into the Medieval main file or place it there and start the game with it?

Also, is there a particular way to play to enjoy the maximum amount of changes in this mod? 99% of my games are played with English in the late period.

Thanks.

VikingHorde
12-22-2005, 13:45
Morning,

Just installed it last night (the 20 meg version), this looks like a great mod. Thanks for the effort. :bow:

Two things; first, how do I use the 635kb mod12fix exe.? Do I run it into the Medieval main file or place it there and start the game with it?
Are you playing the 1.2 version? The mod12fix.exe file is a selfecstracting and should be unpackt ontop of the MTW folder. The 1.2 mod is pretty out of date, because it only adds new factions, a few bugfixes for MTW, and GA mode for all factions. The new version 2.1 adds a lot more and download links are on page 1. It's also pretty foolprof to install :san_wink: (it finds the MTW folder by it self).

Also, is there a particular way to play to enjoy the maximum amount of changes in this mod? 99% of my games are played with English in the late period.

Hmm.. Thats a hard one. I just play the normal way, but maybe someone els has some good ideas on how to spice things up.

Vladimir
12-22-2005, 14:53
Why I recommend the Armenians of course :san_wink: . I recommend going on ransom runs against Egypt early but try to go North to Rum (arrrrrr) early to get AHC, you'll need them in the desert.

Martok
12-22-2005, 16:54
I recommend the Scots and the Crusader Sates (High period). Both factions are pretty challenging and have a fairly unique unit roster. The Cumans have some pretty decent units as well, with the difference that they have a somewhat easier starting position (at least in my opinion). I've also heard the Irish and Lithiuanians are interesting to play as well, but I have only limited experience with those factions. (The Irish are fearsomely difficult, since they have to attack another faction almost right away.) The Portuguese are tough (since you now have 4 factions fighting for control of Iberia), although most of their units are your standard Catholic troops.

Beirut
12-24-2005, 17:18
Just installed the newer 2.0 XL mod + the patch. The new Korean troops in the Mongol armies look great. And when the French sunk my boat in the English channel prior to my attacking them (that never happened before!), it was a real surprise. Guess they saw me building up and acted pre-emptively. Just great!

Is there any real difference between the Welsh longbowmen and the standard longbowmen?

Thanks for the great mod. Nice to have people making all these free toys for our amusement. It's appreciated. :bow:

Beirut
12-24-2005, 23:17
...and another thing!

I'm getting in-game stutters with the XL mod when in battle, even with only medium amounts of troops on the field. 3000 or less. I'm running an AMD64-3000/512RAM/9800Pro. That should cruise through a battle like this.

Any thoughts?

Geezer57
12-25-2005, 05:49
Is there any real difference between the Welsh longbowmen and the standard longbowmen?
They appear (per Gnome Editor) to be the same as standard XL mod Longbows, except +1 valor for being built in Wales. Once you reach Master Boyer, they'll come out at +2 valor, which standard Longbows don't reach without combat experience (or a plus-valor V&V).

Both Welsh and standard Longbows in XL are quite a bit better than Longbows in regular MTW - 3/3/0/2/7 with 36 ammo vs. 1/3/-2/1/4 with 28 ammo. So use them accordingly - when out of ammo, attack!! Since they're fast infantry, they'll serve well chasing off routers if you're short on cavalry.

I'm getting in-game stutters with the XL mod when in battle, even with only medium amounts of troops on the field. 3000 or less. I'm running an .
The first thing to do is hit CRTL-ALT-DEL and bring up the Task Manager - see what's running in the background. Shut down anything you don't really need, the game should run smoother.

My system was almost identical (AMD64-3000/512RAM/9800Pro), except I've just recently upgraded to 1 gigabyte of RAM, but even before it ran MTW smooth at 1600 x 1200 resolution. If the first tip doesn't help, you might need to do a thorough anti-virus/anti-spyware scan. Also try switching to the Omega drivers for your 9800Pro (http://www.omegadrivers.net/), they've been quite good for me.

VikingHorde
12-25-2005, 17:19
@Beirut
The only differens is that the welsh longbows can be build by all catholic factions and they get a valor bonus in wales.

The games should run perfect with that system, because my last computer was a AMD64-3000/1024RAM/9600XT and it did not have any problems.

Weebeast
12-28-2005, 05:14
Viking Horde,

Hungary doesn't get order units (not even Order Foot Soldiers). The other crusading factions at least get one or two. I just thought you'd like to know.

Martok
12-28-2005, 19:28
Speaking of Crusades.... I finally got around to launching one as the Danes (to Saxony, as the HRE had been ex-commed). I was given some Order Foot Soldieris and Tuetonic Seargents as the core of my army. So you were right in that the Danes seem to get the German crusading units. Cool! :rtwyes:

Oh yeah, and I also noticed you've given the Portuguese the ability to Crusade as well. Can't wait to try that out!

sephirothno12000
12-29-2005, 04:54
I recently dl and installed the mod, and for the most part, it works great. There are a couple of issues though I've had with the Teutonic Order, such as not being able to produce teutonic knights (even with all the proper buildings), and also with my assassins, as I have the rookery, and is supposed to give a +3 valour, which it doesn't. I was wondering if it was just a bug, or intentional?

sephirothno12000
12-29-2005, 05:48
I forgot to mention also that the Teutonic Sergeants, and the Order Foot Soldiers has the same problem, although the Teutonic Foot Knights works just fine.

King Baldwin IV
01-02-2006, 13:40
a question pls: i just realised that the generals change their names after a few years. i mean like 'william of ypres', a general will have his name changed to another random name after some years. is there a way to keep the name the general first appeared as? thx.

VikingHorde
01-02-2006, 14:24
Sephirothno12000 has PM'ed me with the info, that the Teutonic "bug" happens when using the .badgerbunny. cheat.

a question pls: i just realised that the generals change their names after a few years. i mean like 'william of ypres', a general will have his name changed to another random name after some years. is there a way to keep the name the general first appeared as? thx.
It is not possible to keep the name of the general. The name changes when the general dies, but the new one keeps the old guy's vices/virtues and command stars.

King Baldwin IV
01-02-2006, 15:01
It is not possible to keep the name of the general. The name changes when the general dies, but the new one keeps the old guy's vices/virtues and command stars.

i see... thanks.:idea2:

Ciaran
01-03-2006, 11:28
If you want to simulate the fact that the dead general is suceeded by a really new one you can use the greengeneral command line in your desktop shortcut.

01-03-2006, 15:07
Hi VH, things are going really well in my early Volga's game and the polish are are on the back foot. So a quick question for you, the new buildings like the royal bank and hospital are they for christian factions only?

VikingHorde
01-03-2006, 16:18
Hi VH, things are going really well in my early Volga's game and the polish are are on the back foot. So a quick question for you, the new buildings like the royal bank and hospital are they for christian factions only?
Only the order factions can build banks and royal banks, but all catholic factions can build a hospital. Other religions can't build them.

01-03-2006, 18:50
Thanks VH that has helped. :2thumbsup: Can I ask why you only gave hospitals to christian factions and banks to the orders factions?

thanks.

VikingHorde
01-04-2006, 08:42
Thanks VH that has helped. :2thumbsup: Can I ask why you only gave hospitals to christian factions and banks to the orders factions?

thanks.
I gave the buildings mainly to spice up the game. The banks were a part of the Orders way of financing their wars vs. the muslims and made them a lot of money. The hospital was an idea from someone at the forums.

Matty
01-04-2006, 16:06
@Beirut
The only differens is that the welsh longbows can be build by all catholic factions and they get a valor bonus in wales.

So my Ventians can build longbows?! Oh you beautiful, beautiful person....

Vladimir
01-04-2006, 16:38
If my Armenians can, your people can.

:2thumbsup:

01-04-2006, 17:41
Hi VH, that all makes sense, but I think if you create an update for the current XL version you should consider giving the muslim factions the option of building hospitals. Most muslim factions were far more advanced in terms of medical and scientific knowledge then most western cultures. Having a muslim hospital would he a great idea, in my humble opinion, :bow:

Vladimir
01-04-2006, 22:14
That should be a quick edit of the spreadsheets that you're able to do yourself. Just open it in excel, the descriptions are rather self-explanatory.

VikingHorde
01-05-2006, 08:09
Hi VH, that all makes sense, but I think if you create an update for the current XL version you should consider giving the muslim factions the option of building hospitals. Most muslim factions were far more advanced in terms of medical and scientific knowledge then most western cultures. Having a muslim hospital would he a great idea, in my humble opinion, :bow:
Yes, maybe I should add the building to the other factions :book:

SaintBlackAdder
01-05-2006, 12:31
Hi all sorry if this has already been answered but anyway, can i play regular MTW-VI MP with XL installed.
Thanks for any info. :2thumbsup:

VikingHorde
01-06-2006, 22:16
Hi all sorry if this has already been answered but anyway, can i play regular MTW-VI MP with XL installed.
Thanks for any info. :2thumbsup:
I don't know, have never played MP games with MTW but properly not. You can however copy the MTW folder to another place on your harddrive and install the mod there. You will need to make a shortcut to the new folder, but that should not be a problem.

Martok
01-06-2006, 23:34
Hey VH,

We've got a junior member in the Entrance Hall who has some questions about the Cumans. I was wondering if you (or anyone else who's played the Cumans) could help this guy out. Here's the link:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=59273

01-07-2006, 19:49
Hi VH I was hoping you could help me. I what to edit the end date for my late games, so they can last that bit longer. However I can't find the end date line. I can find the start dates etc but not the end dates, can you help?

I'm new to moding of any sort so a step by step guide would be great, many thanks.

King Noob the Stupid
01-07-2006, 20:04
I've got a stupid question I'm sure it's been answered multiple times but I'm too lazy to look earlier in this thread, so:
If the game is already somewhat crashy because of a too new graphics card(must autocalc battles in campaign, otherwise I'll get a CTD, also get random CTDs after a few hours of playing), will this get worse with the mod installed?

King Noob the Stupid
01-08-2006, 02:53
Well I installed the mod now and it seemed to be crashier aferwards, but I think that's not caused by the mod... I but wonder why in the GA "conquer" goal 1-2 of the "diamonds" are red for every faction, is it meant to be like that?

VikingHorde
01-09-2006, 09:04
@Martok
Sadly I have not played the Cumans, but maybe someone who has will help him out.

You will need to add the line, because it's not there from the start. You can copy the enddate line from the Viking campaign file and paste it into the XL files. Just remember to edit the enddate or the game will end before it starts ~;) .

@King Noob the Stupid
You should try to solve the crash problem before installing the mod, because the mod makes the game a lot bigger and puts the computer under more pressure.

I think red diamonds are current completed goals, but I am not surre. I don't play GA games.

King Noob the Stupid
01-09-2006, 18:12
The GA returned to normal after saving, restarting and loading the game, so no problem there...

01-09-2006, 18:15
Thanks VH I'll try that. One more thing, will extending the end date work on my current game or only when I start a new campaign? Thanks again :2thumbsup:

VikingHorde
01-10-2006, 11:42
Thanks VH I'll try that. One more thing, will extending the end date work on my current game or only when I start a new campaign? Thanks again :2thumbsup:
It will only work on your new campaigns.

01-11-2006, 13:20
Hi VH, I noticed that you took away the throwing spears from the arab normal and heavy infantry for 2.1 why was that? I'm just interested to know what changed your mind.

Also while I can remember, have you extended the dates in which the Danish can build viking units?
In my Volga game it is 1308 (high era) and the Danes just built some vikings, I thought this could only be done in the early era?

VikingHorde
01-11-2006, 13:53
Hi VH, I noticed that you took away the throwing spears from the arab normal and heavy infantry for 2.1 why was that? I'm just interested to know what changed your mind.

Also while I can remember, have you extended the dates in which the Danish can build viking units?
In my Volga game it is 1308 (high era) and the Danes just built some vikings, I thought this could only be done in the early era?
The spears was removed because the unit is already very powerfull and throwing spears are a light units weapon. :juggle2:

The standard viking unit can be build in all era's, also in the original MTW campaign. All other viking units can't be build in high and late era.

01-12-2006, 15:08
Hi VH, I have something for you to check. I started a new game as the scots in high era on expert last night. I had added the copied end date line to the XL text for the high era changing the date from 1066 to 1814 (not sure why that date). So the game started and everting went well until I noticed that Mercia under the English had a metalsmith but no Iron resource. The units they were making had the weapon improvement. I checked in the XL high text for buildings and found that merica was set to have a metalsmith. I then checked the late XL text and it was there again, only in early is the metalsmith not present. In my Volga game the metalsmith has never been built there, so it must be fine.

So How do I remove he metalsmith building? Do I just need to remove the line from the text?

Thanks again ~:cheers:

01-14-2006, 20:42
VH I decided to just chance it and remove the line for the mercia metalsmith, as you know this removed the building when I loaded up a new scots game. Sorry I'm a bit excited as my first modding adventure went well :laugh4:
I'm in a massive battle in my Volga game with the fatmids, they had some arab infantry who threw spears!?? Did you say you had removed the throwing spears from both types of arab infantry?

Martok
01-15-2006, 10:55
I'm in a massive battle in my Volga game with the fatmids, they had some arab infantry who threw spears!?? Did you say you had removed the throwing spears from both types of arab infantry?

Yeah, I noticed that just a couple weeks ago myself, and have been meaning to ask VH about this as well. Are they still supposed to have throwing spears, or aren't they? Either way is fine; I'd just like to know for sure!

VikingHorde
01-15-2006, 19:51
Yeah, I noticed that just a couple weeks ago myself, and have been meaning to ask VH about this as well. Are they still supposed to have throwing spears, or aren't they? Either way is fine; I'd just like to know for sure!
They should not have throwing spears in the 2.1, so if you are playing the 2.0 version, then they will have throwing spears.

Martok
01-15-2006, 21:44
They should not have throwing spears in the 2.1, so if you are playing the 2.0 version, then they will have throwing spears.

I actually am playing with 2.1, hence why I was a little confused.... :help:

VikingHorde
01-16-2006, 08:24
I actually am playing with 2.1, hence why I was a little confused.... :help:
Thats odd, maybe I forgot to edit all 3 era's :dizzy2: . I will check it out later today :book:

Banquo's Ghost
01-16-2006, 13:00
This may not be the place, but I would just like to express my huge thanks to VikingHorde and those who helped develop the XL mod. I am having such fun with it - tough enough to be really interesting, especially with the Cumans.

Thank you very much for a wonderful addition to my favourite game :balloon2:

Martok
01-16-2006, 18:17
This may not be the place, but I would just like to express my huge thanks to VikingHorde and those who helped develop the XL mod. I am having such fun with it - tough enough to be really interesting, especially with the Cumans.

Thank you very much for a wonderful addition to my favourite game :balloon2:

I'll second that. No matter how many times I've said it before, I can never praise him enough for this terrific mod. Huzzah for VikingHorde! ~:cheers:

To Haruchai: Congratulations on being made a full member, by the way. :bow:

01-19-2006, 14:55
VH, following on from the thread I started in the main hall I was wondering if you had thought about moding the Border watch towers and border forts. Spies on both sides seem to be at such a disadvantage that someone suggested making BWT only buildable after reaching the Keep and BF after reaching Citadel level. I've also thought that making them more expensive and longer to build would be better, given the massive results they achieve.

Any thoughts?

Sir William Wallace
01-20-2006, 17:53
Hello everyone, I just downloaded the XL mod, and I am new to mods , this is my first one, i was wondering if someone could tell me how to install it. I have some questiosn too. 1) how do i install MTW twice?, the option isnt given to me. 2) do i install the mod with MTW or can i install it to MTW VI ( i have the 2.01 patch) 3) if i can only install it with MTW, do i need the patch installed for it too?

thanks, hopefully i can start playing it today

axel
01-20-2006, 22:22
Hi mate you cane install MTW twice first install MTW and the patch for it then install Viking with the patch for it then go to your program files and make a copy of your MTW folder and renamed it MTW XLthen you put the first mod patch from XL 2.1 then put the second mod patch 3.0 on it then go to your MTW XL folder and make a shortcut from your logo then have fun XL is a great mod they all are i have XL , BKB and fall of rome they are really great i hope this helps you mate

VikingHorde
01-20-2006, 23:04
Hi mate you cane install MTW twice first install MTW and the patch for it then install Viking with the patch for it then go to your program files and make a copy of your MTW folder and renamed it MTW XLthen you put the first mod patch from XL 2.1 then put the second mod patch 3.0 on it then go to your MTW XL folder and make a shortcut from your logo then have fun XL is a great mod they all are i have XL , BKB and fall of rome they are really great i hope this helps you mate
Erhhh, first the XL 2.0 should be installed, then the XL 2.1 patch ~;)

I don't know about changing the needs to build them. If the AI can't build anything too improve province loyalty, then it will become inactive. I tryed to change it before and with poor results.

axel
01-20-2006, 23:21
:oops: sry mate :dizzy2: :laugh4:

Sir William Wallace
01-23-2006, 20:25
Ah, thank you axel, it works great

axel
01-24-2006, 09:09
your welcome mate enjoy XL its a great mod:2thumbsup:

01-26-2006, 14:34
VH can I refer you back to my earlier post.

VikingHorde
01-27-2006, 21:43
VH can I refer you back to my earlier post.
Sorry, I don't understand. Is it about the borderforts or? (maybe I just get too little sleep ~:shock: ).

01-28-2006, 13:21
yes the border forts post, I was just wondering what you thought, thanks.

Cid
01-28-2006, 19:08
Sorry if this has been addressed already but the thread is HUGE. I'm playing Aragon/Early and keep getting save game CTD's, usually (it seems) after a Crusade. I'm patched to 2.1 btw. Anyone have/had the same problem??

Thanks

VikingHorde
01-30-2006, 10:28
I think it's a bad idea to change the border fort needs, because AI will get inactive when it can't get a higher loyalty. I tryed to change it some time ago and did not get good results.

@Cid
It sounds like a corrupted savefile, it sadly happens sometimes in MTW. Try a early'er savefile and see if it works. It could also be a corrupted game, so a reinstall could be needed (remember to save your savefiles).

Banquo's Ghost
01-31-2006, 20:17
I wonder if VH or someone who has played the Cumans before can help.

I have just discovered that Bashkorts are no longer available to build in Late (after 1305) having developed from an Early campaign. This removes one of my main units and there doesn't appear to be any kind of replacement spear unit apart from basic spearmen that have been available from the start.

I don't have knowledge of the Cuman tech tree - is there a unit of spears I can build in Late to replace my beloved bashkorts? They were getting a bit outclassed, but it seems unfair that I lose one of the very few units that make the Cumans different ~:mecry:

VikingHorde
01-31-2006, 20:57
I wonder if VH or someone who has played the Cumans before can help.

I have just discovered that Bashkorts are no longer available to build in Late (after 1305) having developed from an Early campaign. This removes one of my main units and there doesn't appear to be any kind of replacement spear unit apart from basic spearmen that have been available from the start.

I don't have knowledge of the Cuman tech tree - is there a unit of spears I can build in Late to replace my beloved bashkorts? They were getting a bit outclassed, but it seems unfair that I lose one of the very few units that make the Cumans different ~:mecry:
I have not tryed playing them, so I did not know that they get outclassed. I will correct it in the next patch. The cuman campaign you wrote is good reading by the way :bow:

Banquo's Ghost
01-31-2006, 22:08
I've found them still to be good in partnership with the Cuman warriors, though even heavily armoured they are not a toe-to-toe match with catholic units. But they are not meant to be, and their javelins can still give armoured troops a nasty shock.

As I move into the Late era, I have to be much more mobile to stand up to the western forces, which is as it should be. I would be happy to be able to continue building bashkorts after 1305 and live with their inferiority and have to adapt - that's the fun of the Cumans to me! But losing bashkorts in Late with nothing at all to replace, is going to be very tough.

I like the way you have restricted factions to just their own troop types regardless of territory conquered (in most cases) it provides a real challenge for me. The Cumans have a very limited roster, and the bashkort is the only way I can keep heavily armoured cavalry from ripping up my Cuman warriors if they get past my SHC screens. Normal spears have suspect morale and are not as mobile or flexible.

Thanks for the kind words on my Cuman campaign. If I can give you any feedback you might want for future patches, I will be only too glad to help if I can!

Geezer57
02-01-2006, 01:52
Have you tried building Cuman Heavy Cavalry or Cuman Warriors yet? According to the "MTW_XL_LATE_UNIT_PROD11.TXT" file in my XL mod installation (using Gnome Editor), both those troop types are restricted to EARLY and HIGH periods, just like the Bashkorts.

It should be a simple matter to fix, just by changing column 20 from "EARLY, HIGH" to "ALL_PERIODS". It must be an oversight, because no one would deliberately restrict a faction's mainstay units like that.

P.S. I too have greatly enjoyed your campaign chronicle - keep up the good work!

Banquo's Ghost
02-01-2006, 14:43
Have you tried building Cuman Heavy Cavalry or Cuman Warriors yet? According to the "MTW_XL_LATE_UNIT_PROD11.TXT" file in my XL mod installation (using Gnome Editor), both those troop types are restricted to EARLY and HIGH periods, just like the Bashkorts.

It should be a simple matter to fix, just by changing column 20 from "EARLY, HIGH" to "ALL_PERIODS". It must be an oversight, because no one would deliberately restrict a faction's mainstay units like that.

P.S. I too have greatly enjoyed your campaign chronicle - keep up the good work!

Oddly, both CHC and CW are available and I'm now into 1345. I tried changing as you suggested but it doesn't work - perhaps it will only affect new campaigns?

The bashkort becomes unavailable in 1321 exactly. I checked my save games and in 1320 one can build them, 1321 nothing. (I always thought Late began in 1305 for some reason ~:confused: )

The GA Homelands points (ie the little diamonds that go red or blank) are missing too. Perhaps as the original MTW doesn't have the Cumans lasting into Late, there are some references missing (I know nothing about modding :shrug: so I am likely to be fishing in the dark here! )

02-01-2006, 14:58
Hi all,
in my Volga's campaign my Bashkorts have also stopped being produced after 1321 however I thought like the slav units it was a case that they had been outclassed. I'm hoping that an invasion of wales will give me Welsh longbows, hope so.

VH, are you working on a new patch at the moment, or are you just making notes for a later date?

VikingHorde
02-03-2006, 09:39
Hi all,
in my Volga's campaign my Bashkorts have also stopped being produced after 1321 however I thought like the slav units it was a case that they had been outclassed. I'm hoping that an invasion of wales will give me Welsh longbows, hope so.

VH, are you working on a new patch at the moment, or are you just making notes for a later date?
I am currently making notes for a new patch, but I have not made any big work yet. Im still getting info from the .org and .com, but much of it is still under debate. I will add more unit pics in the patch, so new graphics stuff will be added ~:)

aw89
02-05-2006, 20:15
Just a quick question, are norman knights better than chivalric knights? Normans have higher attack but lower defence, oh, and when I'm asking questions; Is the combat algorithm released? (where?)

Geezer57
02-06-2006, 00:14
Just a quick question, are norman knights better than chivalric knights? Normans have higher attack but lower defence

Norman Knights = Chg 8/Atk 5/Def 3/Arm 4/Mor 9
Chivalric Knights = Chg 8/Atk 4/Def 5/Arm 6/Mor 8

Looks to me like Normans would be a bit better, due to their higher attack, if used intelligently (i.e., flanking or rear attacks). Chivalrics would hold up better in a heads-up slugfest, due to their better defense and armor. Normans without armor upgrades could even be used in the desert without too much penalty, but Chivalrics would cook.

VikingHorde
02-08-2006, 09:07
Just a quick question, are norman knights better than chivalric knights? Normans have higher attack but lower defence, oh, and when I'm asking questions; Is the combat algorithm released? (where?)
Inside the MTW folder with XL mod installed, there is a exel file with data about what is needed to build units and buildings, plus the unit stats of units. With the 2.1 patch installed, there is a folder with lots of info (also inside the MTW folder).

Samurai Waki
02-10-2006, 10:54
man, I'm having a blast playing a Hard Campaign as Portugal High Era. The Almohads are relentless, 7 years in a row they've invaded my one tiny province with stacks of at least 1,300 troops per year, and my 700 man army is getting some massive Valour, and my King is an 8 star general because I've successfully repelled them every time with taking under 300 losses per battle. I don't have time to retrain troops, so I just build new ones every turn. I've never seen the AI (especially the Almohads) this aggressive in any Vanilla Campaigns I've played. Now that the Straights of Gibraltar are sufficiently clogged with other ships, the Almohads can't send in reinforcements, and the Spanish and Aragonese are preparing to invade Cordoba and Valencia, it's only a matter of time before the mighty Almohad war machine crumbles, and they had so much opportunity to wreak utter havoc on Iberia, but thanks to my small, but elite army they won't have the chance again, and the Reconquista can rightfully claim Iberia for Catholicism:2thumbsup:

So now I'm at a crossroads, I want to rebuild my army first off, although we won some mighty victories, my Army is roughly 400 strong. There is a stack of 2200 Spanish troops eyeing either my territory, or Almohad territory, thankfully we're allied at the moment, but knowing MTW alliances last only as long as they're needed. If the Spanish think they will have an easy victory in my one tiny province, they made need to take note of the recently failed Almohad invasion and steer clear. The Almohads are weakened indefinantly, but I cannot hope to build a strong enough army at the moment to claim any new lands and not have my homeland secure. So I'm considering building up my Merchant system, getting some ships out and trading as to bring up badly needed revenue. As soon as I can get enough dough, I plan on building up my Army even further, and to top that off, declare a crusade on southern Portugal. If all goes well I might be sitting pretty for another couple of years before I have to take on Spain, which will be even tougher I imagine than the Almohads, but if I can squeeze another province into my territory I might have a fighting chance!

Awesome work VikingHorde!

soibean
02-12-2006, 16:25
hello
I downloaded the full mod plus its patch, but whenever I play any period the game CTD after I select a faction and try to play.
Any suggestions?

VikingHorde
02-13-2006, 13:24
hello
I downloaded the full mod plus its patch, but whenever I play any period the game CTD after I select a faction and try to play.
Any suggestions?
It sounds like the mod wasn't installed correct or the game has gotten corrupted. Try reinstalling MTW and the mod, it should help. Also check the mod install file to see if it's size is correct. If the download was interupted, then it will not work correctly.

soibean
02-13-2006, 22:50
I reinstalled and redownloaded, no good. Apparently when I updated my video card it blocked access to the campaign map for MTW... good times

VikingHorde
02-14-2006, 08:51
I reinstalled and redownloaded, no good. Apparently when I updated my video card it blocked access to the campaign map for MTW... good times
If you have a nVidia graphiccard, then it could be the problem. There has been CTD's in MTW with all drivers after the 61,77 version. If you can install the 61,77 version, then it will properly work perfectly.

soibean
02-14-2006, 21:33
I have the 81, 95
if you can post a link as to where I can get the older version Id appreciate it

axel
02-14-2006, 22:52
hi mate look here
http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm40 look at finding old drivers :2thumbsup:

Geezer57
02-15-2006, 00:39
NVidia has their Windows 2000 and XP driver archive here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

If you're using Windows 98 or Me:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

Both locations have the 61.77 version.

soibean
02-16-2006, 03:24
thanks alot guys

Morningstar
02-17-2006, 12:01
Hello all,

By the way top Mod VikingHorde!!!:2thumbsup:

Probably not the forum this should be posted but seems to be the one where their is a bit of life, I was wondering if anybody knows how to change the number of turns it takes to build units like in RTW so if your inclined to do so you can.