PDA

View Full Version : what do you think should be the next TW?

Duke Dick
04-08-2004, 20:17
In my opinion, the total war games should never be made in a modern era or futuristic era, so it must be historical. i see that the napoleonic ages, or the colonisation of the america's should be next, something like this would be really good, what do you think? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-gossip.gif

Tricky Lady
04-08-2004, 22:38
A TW series covering 1453 - 1789 would be very nice IMHO.

But, hey, Rome TW is coming up, so (fantasy units or not) I'm happy to play this first... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-yes.gif Don't really need another TW (yet).

JAG
04-08-2004, 22:47
Napoleonic : Total War - soudns good to me.

Apocalyp$e
04-08-2004, 23:07
Well, I for one would like to see a total war that isn't tied down to historical stuff, I would like to see a fantasy/magic total war, a modern version of Master of Magic would absolutly rock...
If however it does have to concern something historical, I think an Inca/mayan/aztec thing would be cool, they had some pretty crazy empires fighting each other back then- and everything wouldn't be so written in stone like the history of europe is-except the fact of the spanish coming and killing& enslaving everyone.
I would NOT like to see a New World game about the colonization over here in north america cause frankly it is boring to me. Plus it seems kinda to modern for my tastes...
The one north american/modern that I could see doing well in the sales market is an american Civil war total war game. I personally wouldn't be interested in it but I know a lot of americans would love it.... those southerners would just die for a chance to win their slaves back....

Duke Dick
04-08-2004, 23:49
lol apocalyp$e, i like that civil war idea, how about an english civil war game. if you play as charles, you can enlist the help of the french(cuz your wife is french anyway) and defeat cromwell. a game that changes history would be good. To be honest, id love to see the official TW take on lotr.

Don Corleone
04-09-2004, 00:08
I'd like to see 2200BC to 850BC. I think it would be cool as hell to see the Sumerians duke it out with the Hittites and the Egyptians. Maybe even add ancient China as a 'fringe' player. Not much going on in Europe at that point so the map could start at the middle East.

Does anyone know what membership level you have to be to change your photo away from this silly turkish guy?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Duke Dick
04-09-2004, 00:11
i think that as you make more posts your pic changes, and i suppose once you get to a certain level, you can choose your own.

Don Corleone
04-09-2004, 00:13
Never mind, sometimes it actually helps to read the instructions, no matter how much it makes my Y chromosone hurt. For the record, anyone else wanting to know, the junior patron/senior patron/member/senior member is one classification, based on how well you're paying off the moderators, erh, how well the moderators seem to feel you're fitting in. The top rank 'mercenary', 'man at arms' 'duke' etc. comes from # of posts. At 500, you get to choose a custom avatar. Looks like I got some spammin to do http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-juggle.gif Just kiddin.

Duke Dick
04-09-2004, 00:15
count urself lucky, im still a junior patron. its probably cuz of what i did when i first joined about 6 mths ago, i got banned, but that was when i hadnt even sampled the pleasures of tw. my mate, who is a member on this board wanted me to come on for a laff, but i got what i deserved.

SwordsMaster
04-09-2004, 00:34
Yeah, Musketeers:Total War...I can see it...
French royal musketeers,spanish conquistadores,russian oprischnics, ucranian cossacks,american aztecs, mayas,....

great.....

from 1450 to 1920

Leodegar
04-09-2004, 00:34
Quote[/b] (Tricky Lady @ April 08 2004,16:38)]A TW series covering 1453 - 1789 would be very nice IMHO.
i agree with that, would be cool...
napoleonic tw sounds great, too.

although artillery would get more and more important, and i don´t like it at all in mtw.

Poison Arrow
04-09-2004, 04:42
A Fantasy Title most definitely.

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....t=16749 (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=16749)

A thread I started discussing this very thing, read if you would like a more full understanding of what I think could be possible.

Beyond that a American Civil War title I think may be well received.

Perhaps revisit Asia include the entire mainland and Japan, stretch to the middle east. I'd love to command Samurai again in full 3d.

Sooner or later though I think they are going to have to consider a fantasy title. They have many eras and regions they can exploit, but sooner or later they are going to run out of truly worthy recreation periods. They will have to CREATE a setting and what better one to do that with than fantasy.

To balance their asking the player base to accept a non historical recreation, they will be offering such interesting new aspects to the game through magic and creature units. Plus by that time their engine may have improved and the addition of the magical effects on the battle field I think would win over a great many ardent historical generals. But, maybe not, it's everyone's bag.

Poison Arrow
04-09-2004, 05:04
Just did a little readin on Napolean. Yeah, that would be cool as well. To bad the American Revolutionary War is before his period (not by much) and lasted for so little time (in TW terms). However, the Americans could be added into NTW, but the Atlantic would pose such a disadvantage to the American faction I don't know how you would balance playing them. Plus as far as a recreation goes (CA's shtick) including them would not be acurate.

Apocalyp$e
04-09-2004, 05:13
Actually, I forgot to mention this, but didn't they make or are going to make a lord of the rings toal war? or was that another gaming company?

discovery1
04-09-2004, 06:03
EA games is making battle for Middle Earth, which is a little like the TW series, although only 500 men will be seen at once.

I think a China:Total War would work quick well. The Warrings States period won't be after I'm done http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

oblivious maximus
04-09-2004, 06:18
I cant say this enough. There just isnt a better place to go next than ancient China. Anyone who has studied about that era knows it. There is so much to cover. Then think of
the Xiong Nu.

jimmy
04-09-2004, 09:22
north american indians. tribal or indian wars.custers last stand http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif .

HicRic
04-09-2004, 10:40
I think Middle Earth: Total War would be great. ;) Conquer the Shire Take Mount Doom Destroy those nasssty elveessss

*cough* Err, yes. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

PseRamesses
04-09-2004, 10:43
1. Middle east/ Egypt, 3100-332 BC with add-on Alexanders quest. Unify Egypt, control mighty Babylon, rise of the Hittites etc.
2. Americas, 1492-1818 AD with add-on Cortez vs Incas. Play all colonization powers or the native indian tribes to repell the settlers.

Regarding the Napoleonic era I think CA will have a hard time making us astonished since NTW had done a great job with that era already.
China is a nother good idea but personally I think it´s going back to STW and I´ve played Emperor a lot so I´m a bit fed up with that corner of the world.

Lord Of Storms
04-09-2004, 13:43
Quote[/b] (JAG @ April 08 2004,16:47)]Napoleonic : Total War - soudns good to me.
We thought so to , try it out and see for yourselfThe Lordz site for NTW Mod Napoleonic Total War (http://www.thelordz.co.uk) ...LOS

Vlad Tzepes
04-09-2004, 16:37
Quote[/b] ]. Middle east/ Egypt, 3100-332 BC with add-on Alexanders quest. Unify Egypt, control mighty Babylon, rise of the Hittites etc.

I say definitely Alexander the Great - extraordinary times, great military tactics improvements.

I am quite puzzled that this idea (Alexander the Great TW) shows up so rarely in this dialogs. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/mecry.gif

Duke Dick
04-09-2004, 17:59
you're right about alexander, hardly anyone brings him up. he was a great leader, just like genghis khan, who in my opinion, should have another game of his own. Conquerins all of china, and encompassing japan as well, that would be quite good.

VikingHorde
04-09-2004, 18:33
I like to see the napoleonic age or maybe some early greek era. The colonization era could allso be fun.

Lacker
04-10-2004, 01:42
I've been giving this a LOT of thought and being a big American History buff I initially thought an TW game based on the American Civil War would be great but to be honest, I think it's too small scale. I mean most of the other games take place over at least a century whereas the Civil War lasted 4 years. Not to mention the fact that MASSIVE forces seldom fully engaged. Most battles were little out of the way skirmishes and most casualties were from disease.

CIVIL WAR: TOTAL DYSENTARY just doesn't really ring does it? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-no.gif

A

Bigwig
04-10-2004, 03:12
A Game of Thrones: Total War

Based off the fantasy series by George RR Martin :D

Realistically though, I think Napoleonic: TW would be the best choice. We've already seen that it can be done, as in the excellent NTW mod. Of course, the game would be useless without good naval combat... hint hint.

Haethurn
04-10-2004, 05:12
Quote[/b] (Don Corleone @ April 08 2004,18:08)]I'd like to see 2200BC to 850BC. I think it would be cool as hell to see the Sumerians duke it out with the Hittites and the Egyptians. Maybe even add ancient China as a 'fringe' player. Not much going on in Europe at that point so the map could start at the middle East.

Does anyone know what membership level you have to be to change your photo away from this silly turkish guy?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif
I agree with this. Mesopotamia: Total War is the way to go, if you ask me. I shudder at the thought of Lord of the Rings: Total War (come on, you know that would suck) or Mesoamerica: Total War (interesting idea, but the unit variety would be somewhat lacking). Napoleon: Total War might work, but I'd still prefer Mesopotamia: Total War. Just think, you could have Gilgamesh as your king That would be so great

The American Civil War would be pretty boring as a Total War game. The American Revolutionary War is only slightly better, but still boring.

I'm telling you, after Rome: Total War, the next game should be Mesopotamia: Total War. It's just logical.

Gregoshi
04-10-2004, 16:09
Quote[/b] (Duke Dick @ April 08 2004,18:15)]count urself lucky, im still a junior patron. its probably cuz of what i did when i first joined about 6 mths ago, i got banned, but that was when i hadnt even sampled the pleasures of tw. my mate, who is a member on this board wanted me to come on for a laff, but i got what i deserved.
Second time is a charm. You're doing very good this time Duke. Keep it up. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/pat.gif

Duke Dick
04-10-2004, 16:44
Quote[/b] (Bigwig @ April 09 2004,21:12)]A Game of Thrones: Total War

Based off the fantasy series by George RR Martin :D

Realistically though, I think Napoleonic: TW would be the best choice. We've already seen that it can be done, as in the excellent NTW mod. Of course, the game would be useless without good naval combat... hint hint.
i must admit, a game of thrones would be good, the world is massive and has a lot of potential for different factions, units and you could even use the wolves(cant remember there names) in battle. I havent read these books in a while, but i might go back and have another look now.

Kaiser of Arabia
04-10-2004, 17:10
The Hundreds Year War: Total War
1300-1450
Months instead of seasons
Whole map of Europe
New Heroes
More Provences (maybe more like the provences on the VI map, alot of small ones. Makes stratagy more important.)
Easier ways to get butcher vice.
No Retreats and mass slaughters
Jean D'arc getting burned alive
MUWHAHAH

Yushal
04-10-2004, 19:50
I dont really care what it focuses on, because the gameplay in the series remains what it is no matter what, as far as I can see.

What I would like is:

1.Better control of units. Return the drag-formation which was a feature of Shogun, but only partially in Medieval.

Hotkeys for individual/group unit turns. Replace the numpad camera controls with unit turn controls. Or option them.

2. Less clutter. Get rid of strategic agent objects. Make a seperate box like the province buildings box but for all the agents, or at the very least make them stackable.On the subject of agents, make it so assassins/etc wont chase targets out of the country if I dont wish them to, drives me nuts.

3. Better menus. Why must I sort through 65 listings of priests in order to find my emissary or spy. Why must I use mathematics to discover if my ruler has a son or only a brother. Why are princesses redundantly listed. How can I figure out which provinces have built what without manually inspecting every one:: I cannot. Why cant I sort provinces by what unit they build or how much farm income or whether they have steel or if they can build agents, etc.

4. Province controls. Why cant I tell a province to continue to build the same unit over and over ad infinitum. Why cant I issue an build this in every province command. Why cant I easilly decide if building xx% farm improvement is worthwhile in xxx province without sorting thru trade/mining income mathematics. Why cant I prioritize units over improvements (improvements are always built first or in what order is it decided:: why cant I decide.

Im not asking for governor AI. This is a tactical game inside of a strategic framework, but nobody bothered to paint it.

I like the game but it could really be one hell of a lot better with some minimal effort. Maybe some of this stuff is in VI, I dont know. The above are some of the things that make me quit playing after so many turns. I have never actually finished a game, simply because I dislike being inundated with the grunt-work of moving stuff around, and simply looking for a needle in a haystack. But above all what I would really like to see is added depth to the strategic model, even if all the above is left to rot...

Duke Dick
04-10-2004, 20:05
Quote[/b] (Yushal @ April 10 2004,13:50)]I dont really care what it focuses on, because the gameplay in the series remains what it is no matter what, as far as I can see.

What I would like is:

1.Better control of units. Return the drag-formation which was a feature of Shogun, but only partially in Medieval.

Hotkeys for individual/group unit turns. Replace the numpad camera controls with unit turn controls. Or option them.

2. Less clutter. Get rid of strategic agent objects. Make a seperate box like the province buildings box but for all the agents, or at the very least make them stackable.On the subject of agents, make it so assassins/etc wont chase targets out of the country if I dont wish them to, drives me nuts.

3. Better menus. Why must I sort through 65 listings of priests in order to find my emissary or spy. Why must I use mathematics to discover if my ruler has a son or only a brother. Why are princesses redundantly listed. How can I figure out which provinces have built what without manually inspecting every one:: I cannot. Why cant I sort provinces by what unit they build or how much farm income or whether they have steel or if they can build agents, etc.

4. Province controls. Why cant I tell a province to continue to build the same unit over and over ad infinitum. Why cant I issue an build this in every province command. Why cant I easilly decide if building xx% farm improvement is worthwhile in xxx province without sorting thru trade/mining income mathematics. Why cant I prioritize units over improvements (improvements are always built first or in what order is it decided:: why cant I decide.

Im not asking for governor AI. This is a tactical game inside of a strategic framework, but nobody bothered to paint it.

I like the game but it could really be one hell of a lot better with some minimal effort. Maybe some of this stuff is in VI, I dont know. The above are some of the things that make me quit playing after so many turns. I have never actually finished a game, simply because I dislike being inundated with the grunt-work of moving stuff around, and simply looking for a needle in a haystack. But above all what I would really like to see is added depth to the strategic model, even if all the above is left to rot...
i agree with the points that you are making, i'd like to have a screen which tells you all your building requests in one go, instead of having to go round to each territory and clicking on it. this would make it less time consuming.

I'd also like it if the TW games already came with the software needed to mod it, thus the develpoers are making it more user friendly, many developers like seeing mods made, so why not make it possible straight away?

Bigwig
04-10-2004, 22:29
Quote[/b] (Duke Dick @ April 10 2004,10:44)]i must admit, a game of thrones would be good, the world is massive and has a lot of potential for different factions, units and you could even use the wolves(cant remember there names) in battle. I havent read these books in a while, but i might go back and have another look now.

Yeah, I think it would the easiest thing to make GoT into a TW style game. GoT alreadyhas heirs, princesses, provinces, assassins, bribery, naval battles, plenty of unique units and factions, etc. There's already even a risk-style boardgame out for GoT, and we all know how much the TW games resemble risk. It's almost as if the series was meant to be a TW game.

Tricky Lady
04-10-2004, 22:50
Quote[/b] (Yushal @ April 10 2004,20:50)]3. Better menus. Why must I sort through 65 listings of priests in order to find my emissary or spy. Why must I use mathematics to discover if my ruler has a son or only a brother.
Hi Yushal
I agree with most of the issues you quoted above.
However I have a few remarks for item 3:
- Strategic agent menu: I believe that in VI you can sort your agents by type, valour, name, province they're located in. This is already a good improvement on the static menu of the regular MTW, where all agents were mixed up, which made me spend ages to find a specific assassin for instance...
- The royal line. I usually don't use maths to find out how many sons/brothers a king has, but just pen & paper. I write down the name + birth date of each heir, and I put them in a sort of a genealogical tree. This visualizes very well the family relationships of my royal family.
IMO such a feature should've been in MTW too. I'm not a developer, but I'm sure that this wouldn't have been too hard to add it to the game.
(*thinking* On the other hand, there are so many small features that could've been in the game in the first release that it would probably have taken months to really put them in the game)

Poison Arrow
04-11-2004, 00:47
Sierra Ent. owns the rights to any game version of the LOTR books. Where EA owns the rights to any game version of the movie trilogy. A serious handicap to making a fully fleshed out Middle Earth TW title IMO.

Now I am not sure who may own the rights to the book rights to the Silmarillian (SP?). A viable option to LOTR, as it spans a far greater time frame and involves much grander conflicts.

Duke Dick
04-11-2004, 09:28
Quote[/b] (Bigwig @ April 10 2004,16:29)]Yeah, I think it would the easiest thing to make GoT into a TW style game. GoT alreadyhas heirs, princesses, provinces, assassins, bribery, naval battles, plenty of unique units and factions, etc. There's already even a risk-style boardgame out for GoT, and we all know how much the TW games resemble risk. It's almost as if the series was meant to be a TW game.
i completely agree with you, i read around 100 pages of the first book last night, and im really starting to get into it again.

There are loads of prescripted heirs in the book, so you are right.

Yushal
04-11-2004, 23:42
Tricky Lady,

Thats good, I suppose I should get VI, but I am happy with the regular overall really. That one thing about the agent sorting is good they put in. How annoying it is

Little things mean alot (accompanied by Hallmark Greeting Card jingle music...)

Mouzafphaerre
04-12-2004, 01:51
-
Entire world, from the beginning of history through the industrial revolution, maybe until 1914.

All known civilities, civilizations and other cultures on the globe;

More area will become known as time passes, along with the peoples;

Traveling to Americas will be restricted to the Vikings, the Chinese and the Spanish in certain dates until 1492, then released for other possibly able ones;

Hundreds of historically recorded units plus plenty of space for well-balanced fantasia/creativity;

Spherical strategic map with hundreds of factions and thousands of establishments/provinces;

Epic land AND sea battles;

Full moddability as in open source script (like in PotC)...

Mouzafphaerre wakes up

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif
_

Sir Zack de Caldicot
04-12-2004, 02:14
Quote[/b] (Mouzafphaerre @ April 11 2004,19:51)]-
Entire world, from the beginning of history through the industrial revolution, maybe until 1914.

All known civilities, civilizations and other cultures on the globe;

More area will become known as time passes, along with the peoples;

Traveling to Americas will be restricted to the Vikings, the Chinese and the Spanish in certain dates until 1492, then released for other possibly able ones;

Hundreds of historically recorded units plus plenty of space for well-balanced fantasia/creativity;

Spherical strategic map with hundreds of factions and thousands of establishments/provinces;

Epic land AND sea battles;

Full moddability as in open source script (like in PotC)...

Mouzafphaerre wakes up

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-wall.gif
_
Now that is a dream http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Bigwig
04-12-2004, 05:20
Quote[/b] (Mouzafphaerre @ April 11 2004,19:51)]Full moddability as in open source script (like in PotC)...
Oh, that reminds me...

Sorry if I sound uninformed (I am http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif), but does anyone know what the devs' stance on modding is for Rome: TW? As a halflife mod afficionado, I love it when developers give their full support to the mod teams, by giving them access to code and all that. It makes the game so much more interesting, not to mention prolongs the game's shelf life. So is Rome: TW going to be one of these games? Because frankly, I think it's foolish nowadays not to give serious attention to your modding communities if you're a game developer. They help a lot.