PDA

View Full Version : Re-naming Units

matfender
04-14-2004, 15:50
How do you re-name a pre-existing unit? Is the process different if you have a mod like medmod or bkb?

Accounting Troll
04-14-2004, 20:01
It's actually pretty easy. Go into the Loc/Eng file and open up the names.txt file. If you scroll down you will see two columns of text containing the names of all the units in the game. They should look like the following example:

[HighlandClansmen_Singular] {Highland Clansman}

Amend the one on the right to whatever you want, eg {Scottish Clansman}. Note that the second name is singular. Don't touch the one on the left - it's linked to a lot of other files.

Now scroll down again a little further and you will see two very similar columns of text:

[HighlandClansmen_Plural] {Highland Clansmen}

Again, change the second one to eg {Scottish Clansmen}, also leave the first name as it is. Note that this time the second same is plural.

Now when you start a new game your Highland Clansmen will now be called Scottish Clansmen.

The unit description is also very easy to amend. Go into the Descriptions.txt file, also in the Loc/Eng directory, scroll down to the description for Highland Clansmen, and edit the description but not the label.

Don't forget to back up both files before you start.

matfender
04-14-2004, 23:05
thanks -

what prompted my questions was the threads discussing proper names for Byzantine units and stuff like that. I see what CA was trying to do when making up the names, but I like a touch more historical realism

Basil II
04-24-2004, 08:34
greetings

maybe you can help me. i'm using the medmod right now and i wanted to rename the kataphraktoi to klibanophoroi...do i change it from the original mtw list or do i add it to the mm renamed units section?

pax

Spartacus
04-24-2004, 09:12
this might sound stupid but how do you open the files of m:tw to change names, i'm new to computers

Spartacus
04-24-2004, 09:25
sorry i found it, do i put to be changed names on the left or right exmaple i put on the right

{iberian spearmen} correct or wrong

i changed nubian spearmen to that name

Spartacus
04-24-2004, 10:30
i read your guide it didn't work i also have the napolenic mod, i changed both nubian spearmen to iberian spearmen as you stated it and it didn't work http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Mouzafphaerre
04-24-2004, 16:23
-
It must work. Don't change [stuff] but only {stuff}. I accidentally renamed Armenian Heavy Cavalry to Hayastann Heavy Cavalry in the process of renaming Armenia to Hayastan. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-yes.gif
_

Accounting Troll
04-24-2004, 17:15
Basil, you should be able to change the name of kataphraktoi in Names.txt in the same way as with the vanilla M:TW. I don't have medmod installed on my system at the moment, so I can't check that one out, but I'm pretty sure that all WesW did to the kataphraktoi was to change their statistics to make them less powerful.

Spartacus, the one you change is the one on the right with the squiggly brackets, like you thought. You said that it doesn't work - did you load the game to see that nothing had changed, or did you get an error message with lots of exclamation marks?

There are a couple of things that could have gone wrong:

1. Either you didn't save the names.txt file after you edited it, or you saved it under a different name or in a different place.

2. You made a typing mistake when you did the editing. You wouldn't believe how picky computers can be about a bracket or fullstop in the wrong place (weren't they meant to make our lives easier?).

3. You only edited one label. There are two lables, a singular and plural. The game needs both here in case a unit gets ground down to a single man.

Open up the names.txt file and make sure that you did everything right.

If you get really stuck, I can rename Nubian Spearmen to Iberian Spearmen for you, but I'll need to know whether you have M:TW or M:TW Viking Invasion, and your e-mail address. Use the private message function of this board if you don't want your e-mail address to become public knowledge.

Incidentally, some mods, like the Napoleon mod that you mentioned having change a lot of files in the game, so a standard game might not work very well. The way round this is to install M:TW again, but in a different directory.

Sir Zack de Caldicot
04-24-2004, 17:42
I would suggest pessing Ctrl + F to open up a find box, and then type up the unit name. Change all the files that contain it to make sure, maybe you missed an important file?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif
Sir Zack

Spartacus
04-25-2004, 09:39
i saved the names.txt in my doucements and changed the name to changing names http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif or http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-oops.gif

matfender
05-08-2004, 01:50
If I was to re-name Swabian Swordsmen, what should they be called? I know of a two-handed German sword called the Zhweihander (sp?), and I vaguely remember a thread on this topic, but can't seem to find it.

katank
05-08-2004, 02:15
zweihander is the right name.

I suggest you make a copy that's available in late called flamberge swordsmen and make them available around switzerland.

possibly boost their stats a bit.

matfender
05-08-2004, 15:59
Good idea - thanks for the info