PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Crusades

YAKOBU
04-28-2004, 11:25
Hi everyone

I'm sat at work wondering whether you can avoid a crusade taking all your high value troops rather than fighting them. E.g. If you have a bottleneck full of high value troops and you know a crusade is going to pass through. Can you move them out of the way (by sea etc) and replace them with low value troops until the crusade has passed. Has anyone used this or a similar tactic?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Sun Tzui
04-28-2004, 11:39
Quote[/b] ]Can you move them out of the way (by sea etc) and replace them with low value troops until the crusade has passed. Has anyone used this or a similar tactic?

Thats precisely the tactic i use

Just get those valuable troops of your out of the way, and send some low value units to guard the province. anyway i think this is the only way you can avoid losing troops to a crusade...

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif

Oaty
04-28-2004, 11:48
I go an extra step i donate all my outdated units to there crusade, it sops them from camping and I never was under a great threat so I didnt even bother moving my high quality troops out as the A.I needs the extra edge they can get

Lord Dazed & Confused
04-28-2004, 13:12
Thats usually the best way but some times I capture the province the crusade is heading for to stop it from passing through my lands or sometimes I'll check to see what age the pope is and if he's near poping his cloggs I refuse to let the crusade pass they are quite easy to defeat they don't have many full units and are mainly made up of peasants ~:D

WorkNeglecter
04-28-2004, 13:27
Quote[/b] (YAKOBU @ April 28 2004,12:25)]Hi everyone

I'm sat at work wondering whether you can avoid a crusade taking all your high value troops rather than fighting them. E.g. If you have a bottleneck full of high value troops and you know a crusade is going to pass through. Can you move them out of the way (by sea etc) and replace them with low value troops until the crusade has passed. Has anyone used this or a similar tactic?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-book2.gif

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
one thing that DOESN'T work: putting your units in the retraining queue. They get sucked right out of the queue
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-furious3.gif

lancer63
04-28-2004, 16:30
Here's something I like to use from time to time. If I'm a catholic faction and have a pretty good idea on which of my provinces a crusade will land, what I do is to send all my priests away to lower zeal, hire some elite mercs. with 0 piety to act as temporary commanders or use my own gnerals with the same qualities.
Devout, fervent and God fearing generals are kept out of the way or given no other units to command.
Once as the Hungarians a big, fat, german crusade landed in Austria, it was mine already, and despite my misgivings I granted itafree passage. When I could check on the troops to asses the damage taken, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the only depleted unit was a garrisoned basic spear whose general must have had messianic delusions cause he sent more than 40 men to the crusade.
When I checked each of my two stacks there, I noticed their commanders had 0 piety and one even had a 'secret atheist' v&v which to me means now 'crusade shielded'. That crusade couldn't squeeze out much from my men and even lost a bit of what they brought in.
If my province is a coastal one and a crusade tries to use it as a jump off place because I have a line of ships going to their objective, I break that line, making the crusade to either look for another route and go pester someone else or (even better) the crusade gets stranded on the other side and left to its ow devices.
I learned that when I grew tired to watch up to 3 franco-anglo-german crusades arrive in my italian Milan, make a mess, sack my army and after they were gone, one of those three regular armies would pay a visit and kick me in the cabooze. No more for me. Them pesky crusades aint getting zit from this fellow christian if I can help it. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-glasses2.gif

Doug-Thompson
04-28-2004, 19:54
Quote[/b] (oaty @ April 28 2004,05:48)]I go an extra step i donate all my outdated units to there crusade, it sops them from camping and I never was under a great threat so I didnt even bother moving my high quality troops out as the A.I needs the extra edge they can get

Sounds like a good way to dump disloyal commanders, too.

On the rare occasions when I'm playing a Catholic faction, I'll have to try that. Better than just disbanding the units..

============

One thing that really helps get rid of Crusades is to set up a water route to the Holy Land. When I play Hungarians, I seize Venice and keep fleets in the eastern Med just for this purpose.

Oaty
04-29-2004, 05:17
Something I recently noticed and I don't know wich one killed this option either the 2.01 patch or the current Wesmod 3.14 I believe will no longer allow you to donate troops to other factions crusades. I would think this would be from the patch but I have read nothing on it in the readme file saying this is what they corrected. The only reason I think the patch would have done this is due to the fact that somone accidenatlly bumps one of there stacks into the crusade and dont have it recently saved and in turn this would make them lose many years or completely screw them over. I guess I will ask wes about this in the alchemist lab to see if he diasabled this option.

On top of getting rid old units sometimes I donate topend units if I'm in a good position. You know I want at least some the credit for ridding of those infidels. Plus even with the generous donation its like giving a homeless person a dollar, well its something but it still won't take the stupid A.I.'s butt anywhere

katank
04-29-2004, 14:18
Ahhh, so true. even with my generous donations, AI crusades rarely succeed and rather spend their days rotting away in a distant province due to being chicken hearted.

lancer63
04-29-2004, 17:39
Quote[/b] (oaty @ April 28 2004,23:17)]Something I recently noticed and I don't know wich one killed this option either the 2.01 patch or the current Wesmod 3.14 I believe will no longer allow you to donate troops to other factions crusades. I would think this would be from the patch but I have read nothing on it in the readme file saying this is what they corrected. The only reason I think the patch would have done this is due to the fact that somone accidenatlly bumps one of there stacks into the crusade and dont have it recently saved and in turn this would make them lose many years or completely screw them over. I guess I will ask wes about this in the alchemist lab to see if he diasabled this option.

On top of getting rid old units sometimes I donate topend units if I'm in a good position. You know I want at least some the credit for ridding of those infidels. Plus even with the generous donation its like giving a homeless person a dollar, well its something but it still won't take the stupid A.I.'s butt anywhere
It was VI. You may only donate troops to your own crusades/jihads now. Which is kind of lame, like when they took away the ability to bring your own units up to strenght using mercs. in exchage for the ability to upgrade RKs. I liked the royal's thing but the merc. stuff was good too.

Red Peasant
04-30-2004, 00:45
Did notice one campaign as the English when my provinces all had very low or zero 'Zeal'. Don't know how this came about and didn't seem to have any detrimental effect. Anyway, my armies were impervious to crusades....laughed in their faces, and farted in their general direction. Silly religious fanatics Go away