PDA

View Full Version : End of the world bug?

Dauvin
05-06-2004, 00:06
So I've beaten MTW once with the byz on easy, took a little break of a month, and then started playing again. I'm playing the byzantines again, on normal difficulty, started in the early period.

So I just got a minor victor option of 60%, and kept going, only have to conquer middle europe (only germans, italians, pope, sicilians, and a rebel or two left). I have 150% + loyalty in just about all provinces, alot of them are at 200% with just a small garrison of 100-200 troops. I've got a preist in every province, so a majority are 'my' religion.

The year is 1210. Im wiping out the last of the english, they have scotland left and thats about it. I do end turn, and nothing serious happens, I end a few sieges of castles, and an english crusade tries to attack and falls back (for like the 20th time). Everything seems ok except.... EVERY SINGLE PROVINCE IS AT 0% loyalty. This is pretty much regardless of ANYTHING, lowering taxes, troop size (if i have about 2k troops, it *might get 50%).

I don't know what in the world to do, or what I DID, to get this. I've also tried attacking everyone with all the armies I have to try to win it, still makes all my provinces go to no loyalty.

Any ideas, cause I'm like 20 years or less from beating this, and I have no clue how to stop this.

Mouzafphaerre
05-06-2004, 00:20
-
Welcome to the ORG http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

It's not a bug but the curse of the game so to speak. One last challange or obstackle before you claim your victory.

I suppose you are one blitzkrieg type of player. You maintained loyalty high with large garrison sizes and dreadful governors, but didn't focus much in completing the happiness structures or converting the population, aye?

Well, whether that or not, you've hit one of the most famous or infamous hidden features of our dear game.

Happy rebellion busting

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif
_

Dauvin
05-06-2004, 00:36
Hi, and thanks for the welcome

(I just recently 'discovered' this game, and I love it and can't WAIT till Rome)

Well, actually, I'm kinda the opposite. I tried to pick govenors with higher acumen, and most of them have steward and great builder (or other stuff adding to happiness).

I build taverns and inns and churches and that kinda stuff (which I think you are talking about). I think I converted the people, like I said, I had a priest in every province.

Also, I tried to limit my conquest to one group/nation at a time, unless they attacked me first.

So what can be done about happiness?

SwordsMaster
05-06-2004, 00:57
Beat the rebels one at a time,it will usually take some time for them to crush your garrisons, specially if the garrisons are small... and execute all of them.Then repeat the process until satisfied.And if you can get a king that boosts happiness much better

Thatfeature is supposed to slow down your world conquest. Iy does, but dont give up. Alternatively, you can protect just a few key provs, and concentrate on destroying the rest of your real enemies. And bribe rebel armies http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mouzafphaerre
05-06-2004, 00:57
-
Happiness buildings are the following:

Town Watch (+10)
Town Guard (+10)
Town Militia (+10)
County Militia (+10)
Brothel (+10/level)
College of Surgeons (+40)
Church (+20)
Mosque (+20)
Monestery (+10)
Reliquary (+30)
Cathedral (+40)
Grand Mosque (+40)
Watch Towers (+10)
Border Fort (+10)

Must haves are the Watchtower, Border Fort and the Town Watch immediately. In addition to priests, keep at least one spy in each province. It will boost up the loyalty.

Still, there might be some randomness and you may not be able to avoid the end of the world incident. I personally have never experienced it but I assume I'm in the minority.

Hth

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/cheers.gif
_

katank
05-06-2004, 01:36
yes you are.

I got hit by it at least once.

However, now after I tech my island provinces or some coastal provinces to ships and filled the seas with my ships, I go for pumping out a spy every turn in that province.

agents don't cost support and spies are great.

since I mass spies, I have not experienced the end game syndrome for a while.

Doug-Thompson
05-06-2004, 02:54
Yet another reason to play Muslims.

Rebels will surrender to Jihads if the population is more than 50 percent Muslim.

katank
05-06-2004, 03:17
the problem is if your province with spare jihad markers also gets hit by the rebellions.

It stinks how sometimes even your capital rebels against you in this longest year case.

Dauvin
05-06-2004, 03:28
Thanks for the help, all. I never did get much into spies, good deal. I guess I'll have to start anew, because theres just no way with this game =/.

I counted and it was like 70 revolts, and each one was at least 1500 troops, and as high as 3500, and while I did have the mightiest military, I don't have that much (heck, the Russians alone, after counting all the armies that reappear due to the revolt, had something in the order of 25,000 troopers, waaaaaay more then I have). And most of the castles and what-have you that I've built only last 4 years top in a siege, which doesn't leave me enough time to quell the rebellions.

I didn't know that all those buildings added to happiness, thats cool. I generally did build all of the lower level ones, however.

Again, thanks for the input all

Mouzafphaerre
05-06-2004, 03:49
-
I suggest reading:

The Longest Year (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=24;t=15604)

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
_

motorhead
05-06-2004, 04:31
I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet (i read the thread quickly, apologies if someone did mention it). Getting massive revolts (not just 3 or 4) with 0% loyalty is usually a sure sign that your ruler has gotten disconnected from his empire. Did your king invade an island and the port got destroyed? Most of the time that's the root cause. Or, your ruler got isolated (say in England) and enemy fleets have blockaded your connection to the rest of your empire. Hit 'v' if you are patched up to MTW 1.1 or better, red seas are blockaded.

Usually, once you pass the 60% threshold, your provs do take a 'bloated empire' loyalty penalty, but if you've build +happiness buildings, have spies, and converted the people, it rarely causes a blip.

Oaty
05-06-2004, 04:55
WHERE IS YOUR KING. Since you are finishing off the English you may have him on the English Isles and the ports got destroyed.

This happened to me once where I accidentally isolated my king, did'nt realize I should not have captured every single man on Rhodes until it was too late.

Anyways what I did for 4 years was find a godd province that was surrounded by a lot of mine in all the areas of my territories. The rebellions would keep recurring almost 100 percent anyways. So I grouped up a lot of my troops and threw a few good troops in the castles so if they did assault it there losses would be excesively high. Then when my king was free the rebellions came to a halt and the headsoup factories went into overproduction as I quickly relieved the sieges that had survived and regained lost terriitory.

Sad part was even though I was the Egyptians I had to garrison over 2000 men in Egypt just to keep that province near 100 percent loyalty and still got a rebellion so my only option then was to launch some Jihads from Egypt to put down this huge rebellion in Egypt.

Dauvin
05-06-2004, 05:33
OOHHH
My king WAS on a island where the port got destroy

Thanks thanks thanks I'll try to fix it immediatly.