PDA

View Full Version : GAUL UNITS

PSYCHO
06-17-2004, 22:53
WHAT SORT OF GALLIC UNITS DO YOU WANT IN RTW ?

Currently CA have included units like the Gallic Spearmen, the Gallic Skirmisher, the Gallic Swordsmen, Gallic Chosen Swordsmen etc etc in RTW.
The following are examples of the type of units that CA could incorporate from history. If there was no additional delay to RTW's release or if these units could be modded in, would you like to see them?

Read the following Unit suggestions and post your opinion.

It would be good to hear what you all think on this issue..so don’t be shy, have a voice

SUGGESTED UNITS FOR THE GAUL FACTION

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIGHT INFANTRY

Senone Slingers: (Light Infantry)
Above Average Valour, Easily Fatigued, Dubious Morale under heavy casualties
(Long plated hair, Gallic moustache, torque, naked chest, trousers in ‘faction colours’, shoes, Sling, Pellet pouch slung over shoulder, Short Celtic Sword, Very small buckler usually slung over back).
These adept skirmishers can hurl lead slugs at high speed over good distances. They are particularly good at attacking lightly armed troops. They can fight with sword if forced, but they prove to be ineffective in hand-to-hand warfare.
(Can be raised anywhere in Transalpine Gaul)

Aquitanian Archers: (Light Infantry)
Average Valour, Easily Fatigued, Low Morale
(Shorter darker hair, Gallic moustache, torque, long sleave shirt to thigh over trousers in ‘faction colours’ and tied around waste with belt, shoes, bow, quiver of arrows hung off left hip, short Celtic sword, No Shield). These troops come from the smaller, more passive tribes of Southern Gaul. Good at showering the enemy with archery fire, they will soon run if engaged in hand to hand fighting.
(Can be raised in Southern Transalpine Gaul)

Bodvoritus (‘Running Wrath’): (Light Infantry)
Extremely Impetuous, Extremely Undisciplined, Good Morale, Very Good Stamina, Good Attack
(Long flowing hair, naked tattooed torso, Gallic moustache, torque, armlets, chequered trousers in ‘faction colours’, shoes, arm guards, dirk and medium length (Halstatt) sword).
The ‘Bodvoritus’ tend to come from the Brannovice (‘frenzied ones’) tribe. The Brannovice were a client to the Aedui and were renown for their berserk behaviour in battle. They would drink a ‘magical’ potion before entering battle which gave them ‘special’ courage, stamina and protection from the pain of wounds. Once worked up into a frenzy, they would often fight in a similar fashion as the Picts some centuries later. Working in pairs, one would throw themselves on the enemy’s weapon whilst the other struck the encumbered down.
(Can be raised from central Transalpine Gaul)

MEDIUM INFANTRY

Southern Warband: (Medium Infantry)
Impetuous, Above Average Valour, Easily Fatigued.
(Shorter hair to nape of neck and spiked up with lime, Gallic moustache, torque, bangle around each wrist, naked chest, cloak fastened at right shoulder by broach, tartan trousers in ‘faction colours’, shoes, spears, long Celtic sword, rounded rectangular shield with Celtic swirl design)
The Southern Gallic Warband are cheap and quick to raise. Along with the Northern Warband they provide the bulk of the Gallic force. They throw their spears before charging home with sword and have a good initial assault.
(Can be raised anywhere in Cisalpine Gaul and Celtiberia)

Northern Warband: (Medium Infantry)
Impetuous, Above Average Valour, Easily Fatigued.
(Long hair platted, Gallic moustache, torque, naked chest, armlets, bangle around each wrist, trousers in ‘faction colours’, shoes, spears, long Celtic sword, oval shield)
The Northern Gallic Warband are cheap and quick to raise. Along with the Southern Warband they provide the bulk of the Gallic force. They can work in close or open formation and are trained to form shield walls if necessary. They can throw or thrust with their spears before charging home with sword. Sapping Ability

Veneti Bagaudam(‘Guerrilla Fighters’): (Medium Infantry)
Disciplined, Average Valour, Dubious Morale
(Bronze helmet with thin horns, short dark hair, Gallic moustache, torque, short sleave shirt in ‘faction colours’ with chequered borders to thigh over trousers and tied around waste with belt, short boots, spear, Celtic sword, strange squarish shield with wavy sides).
The Veneti (‘Clansmen’) were a maritime tribe that traded and raided the oceans centuries before the first Vikings. They were adept guerrilla fighters who excelled in using the terrain to their advantage / sneaking up on their enemies. They also excel at ambushes, night and amphibious operations.
(Can be raised from Veneti Territory)

Dubis Dusios (‘Black Demons’): (Elite Medium Infantry)
Impetuous, Very High Valour, Good Stamina, Very High Morale, Good Attack
(Bronze bowl helmets adorned with purple crest, short dark hair, shaggy black (goatskin like) shoulder-less tunic to above knee bound by thick Iberian belt, arm guards, greaves made of the same black material wound around shins and carves, excellent quality iron short two edged swords, dirk, Celtic oval shield in ‘faction colours’).
The ‘Dubi Dusios’ are Elite Celtiberian warriors from Spain. They are chosen from among the ranks for their skill, fitness and bravery in battle. Though rough and ready, these Celtiberians are fierce ferocious fighters that can hold their own against almost any opposition.
(Can be raised from Celtiberian ‘Gaul’)

Bodubatae (‘Raven Warriors’): (Elite Medium Infantry)
Excellent Discipline, Good Valour, Good Stamina, High Morale,
(Bronze Raven helmet, long hair, Gallic moustache, golden torque, golden armlets, bronze armbands, naked chest, red tartan trousers to ankles, cloak in 'faction colours’ fastened with large golden broach on right shoulder, short boots, long thrusting spear, long Celtic sword, Oval Shield).
The Aedui ‘Bodubatae'are a Royal Body Guard, an elite infantry unit made up from the best warriors of the Aedui confederacy. They invoke the Female War Goddess Morrigan (Who was believed to take the form of a Raven to steal away men’s souls, hence the helmet). Their role, similar to the Roman Praetorian Guard, is to serve the highest office in the land, the Gallic High King. Well trained, drilled and disciplined they are expensive and difficult to raise but make up for their small numbers by their impact in battle. They can form a testudo, shield wall or a phalanx with their long spears.
(Can be raised from Aedui Territory)
http://www.hobby-online.com/g1204.jpg

HEAVY INFANTRY

Arverni Arjos (‘Nobles’): (Heavy Infantry)
Good Discipline, Low Valour, Easily Fatigued, Good Morale
(Iron ‘Gallic’ helmet, long hair, Gallic moustache, torque, wrist guards, shirt of mail over long sleeve tunic gathered by belt at waist, tartan cloak in ‘faction colours’ gathered on right shoulder with broach, trousers, short boots, long thrusting spears, long Celtic sword, oval shield).
The Arverni (‘Superior Ones’) are a large powerful tribe who have become extremely wealthy through trade with the Mediterraean. As such, they have a large body of nobility who are afforded the time and wealth to prepare well for battle.
The Arverni Arjos sport the finest equipment available and train daily in its use. They can form a testudo or shield wall quickly and prove to be sturdy force in any line of battle.
(Can be raised from Arverni Territory)
http://www.slitherine.co.uk/Legion/Images/CeltNob_WarriorCeltWar.jpg

Carnute Cingetos (‘Warriors): (Elite Heavy Infantry)
High Valour, High Morale, Good attack, Cause Fear against other Gallic units, Large Additional Valour and Morale Bonus against non-Celtic factions.
(Iron helmet with forward facing horns, long hair, Gallic moustache, torque, arm guards, chain mail shirt over long sleeve tunic gathered at waist by belt, stripped trousers in ‘faction colours’, Royal Blue cloak fastened on breast, short ankle boots, Long Celtic Sword, Round Shield).
These ‘Cincetos’ are Elite fighters who hail from the land of the Carnutes, the heart of the Druidic religion in Gaul. As Druids, they invoke the Gallic god Cernunnos (‘The Horned One’ hence the helmets) to give them courage in battle. Trained in the Druidic schools and Carnute military colleges, they are extremely expensive to raise but are fanatical volunteers that will fight to the death, especially against non-Celtic factions. [These units become slightly cheaper if at war with non-Celtic invaders.]
(Can be raised from Carnute Territory)

CAVALRY

Leuce Epos(‘Light Horse’): (Medium Cavalry)
Disciplined, Good Valour, Good Morale
(Iron bowl Helmet with tri swirl cheek guards, long hair, Gallic moustache, torque, armlets, bangle around each wrist, long sleave tunic in ‘faction colours’ over trousers and tied at waist by belt, shoes, round shield with cheque pattern, throwing spears, long Celtic Sword).
The Gallic ‘Leuce Epos’ constitute the bulk of Gallic cavalry. The term ‘Leuce’ was applied more due to their swiftness of foot than their equipment. Able to either throw or thrust with spears before engaging with sword, they form an effective mobile force.
(Can raise from any Celtic Area)

Brihentin(‘Elite Cavalry’): (Heavy Cavalry)
Disciplined, Good Valour, Easily fatigued, Good Morale, Excellent Attack
(Iron ‘Gallic’ helmet with faction-coloured plume, long hair, Gallic moustache, torque, arm guards, chain mail shirt over long sleeve tunic gathered at waist by belt, trousers in ‘faction colours’, cloak fastened on right shoulder by broach, short ankle boots, medium spear / lance, long Celtic Sword, Round shield).
The ‘Brihentin’ are chosen from among the tribe’s nobility for their prowess in battle. These troops are well armed and experienced in battle. They are trained to couch their lance before closing with their long swords. Extremely expensive to raise, they prove invaluable to any astute War-chief.

MERCENARIES

Gaesatae(‘Spearmen’): (Elite Light / Mercenary Infantry)
Impetuous, High valour, Easily fatigued, Good Morale, Very Good Attack, Long spear throwing range.
(Iron Helmet with boar crest and black horse hair trail, long hair, Gallic moustache, Long Hexagonal Shield, throwing spears, Long Celtic Sword, large golden torque, armlets, bracelets and anklets, Large well built and naked but for a small flap in ‘faction colours’ at front and back of groin (for the kiddies)).
These are a group of elite warriors that have left their tribal allegiances to sell their services to the highest bidder. They believe their nakedness allows their fighting mogo to flow.
(Can be hired at great cost from anywhere that has a Gallic tavern)

Ordocorii(‘Hammer Troops’): (Elite Medium / Mercenary Infantry)
Disciplined, Good Valour, Good Stamina, Average Morale
(Short Horned (Thames styled) helmet, Long dark flowing hair, Woaded face and arms, Gallic moustache, Golden torque, Heavy Wrist guards, Sleeveless shirt and vest of chain mail over trousers, belt at waist, Tartan cloak, shoes, heavy war hammer, round shield)
The Ordocorii come from the Ordovices (‘Those that fight with hammers’), a Briton tribe situated on the Western coast of the Isle (Wales). They lack central government and tend to seek fortune where-ever they may find it, willingly crossing the channel to offer their services to their Gallic cousins.
They invoke the Celtic god Sucellus (‘Hammer god’) prior battle and tend to possess an acute hatred of Rome.
(Can be hired at great cost from any Gallic coastal province that has a Tavern)

Mori Gaesum(‘Sea of Spears’): (Elite Heavy / Mercenary Infantry)
Excellent Discipline, Good Valour, Very Good Morale
(Tall spiked iron helmets, long dark hair, Gallic moustache, torque, arm guards, red tunic with chequered borders gathered with belt over trousers, cloak same colour as trousers, shoes, Pikes, long Celtic sword, large rectangular shield with rounded edges)
The ‘Mori Gaesum’ are mercenaries raised from among the Helvetii (Swiss). These Helvetians were very well organised into units with good leadership and discipline. Of all the Gauls, they were the most experienced and effective in the employment of the Phalanx. Much like other Gallic tribes that use close formation tactics, they will drop their spears once the enemy formation is broken and charge home with the sword.
(Can be hired at great cost from a Tavern in Helvetii territory)
http://www.r-kproductions.com/products/P54133.jpg

Teutones: (Elite Light / Mercenary Cavalry)
Disciplined, Excellent Valour, Good Stamina, Excellent Morale
(Hair dyed red and in pony tail, full beard, naked chest, short cloak, trousers, shoes, throwing spears, small square shield)
The Teutones are German Mercenaries willing to cross the Rhine and sell their blood for gold and glory. Equipped with sturdy Gallic mounts, they are fast and ferocious and can often outfight more heavier armed opponents.
(Can be hire at great cost by emissary to German territory)

Blodrast
06-17-2004, 23:00
nice work, psycho.
btw, are you aware of the RTW...formal request thread ?
If you're interested, I presume they might use this kind of information you're supplying here, it's one of the very things they were looking for, if I'm not mistaken.

Check out the thread here: A formal proposal (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=19;t=19214)

RisingSun
06-17-2004, 23:49
Man, these units are AWESOME. Great work.

scooter_the_shooter
06-18-2004, 00:56
phyco you must help us with the formal proposal thing i am part of it i was just going link crazy for a while but now i am actually putting info from a book of mine. and my other knowledge. PLZ HELP i tried coming up with units they are ok but not near as good as yours help us please http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif

Aymar de Bois Mauri
06-18-2004, 01:55
Beautifull work as always, PSYCHO http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

BTW, accept their request. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-help.gif I have. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

Hurin_Rules
06-18-2004, 02:36
Absolutely outstanding work.

See CA, you can have cool AND historically accurate units at the same time

P.S. One quibble: why would the Brihentin couch their lances? Without stirrups or a saddle with a high cantel, you'd just fly over your horse's ass as soon as you made contact.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
06-18-2004, 02:43
Quote[/b] (Hurin_Rules @ June 17 2004,20:36)]P.S. One quibble: why would the Brihentin couch their lances? Without stirrups or a saddle with a high cantel, you'd just fly over your horse's ass as soon as you made contact.
I don't know if they couched their lances or not, but the Gauls had a "four-horned" saddle that allowed lance charges to have quite an impact on the battlefield.

andrewt
06-18-2004, 02:59
I like these. I'm also wondering why, with CA's emphasis on cool units, have the units for the other factions be so bland and generic.

The Wizard
06-18-2004, 13:03
Elaborate ...?

~Wiz

Nowake
06-18-2004, 13:42
Geez Psycho, we saw this 2-3 times by now m8 http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif Anyway, they are definitely a must; I work for some time now at a dacian unit tree, after your model. I may post them in a couple of days.

ah_dut
06-18-2004, 17:47
good stuff psycho

RisingSun
06-18-2004, 18:42
These should certainly be included in the official accuracy mod. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

shingenmitch2
06-18-2004, 22:31
Boooo History... Boooo Where is my "barbarian" unit?

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-jester.gif

Nice work psycho. These are the kinds of detailed, interesting units that would give RTW some real depth.

BTW, where did you find such specific details on celtic soldier types/tribal types? Is a certain amount of this speculative or invented? I'm just curious.

andrewt
06-18-2004, 22:33
Wiz, if I'm the one you're asking to elaborate:

What I mean is that the Egyptians were made historically inaccurate and the reason we're given is so they will be cooler in the eyes of mainstream gamers and for variety. If CA wanted variety, then why do the units of all the barbarian factions all look almost the same? If they wanted cool, why do they have such generic names like Gallic swordsmen, Gallic spearmen, etc.? The barbarians look too undistinguished from one another.

If mainstream gamers can memorize what a zergling, hydralisk, ultralisk, mutalisk, etc. are, then I'm sure they can easily learn a few names that are unrecognizable at first.

Steppe Merc
06-18-2004, 22:37
Voted same way as I did at the .com, Psycho. Hell yea http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif
P.S. Pyscho, please do help them with the 'official' mod. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/barrel.gif

PSYCHO
06-19-2004, 07:32
Ta all

Quote[/b] ]"P.S. One quibble: why would the Brihentin couch their lances? Without stirrups or a saddle with a high cantel, you'd just fly over your horse's ass as soon as you made contact" - Hurin_Rules

I know I wouldn’t have thought it possible either. (I was always led to believe such tactics were only ever employed at a much later date due to the adoption of special equipment etc.)
The first I heard of such a notion was a passing comment on the possibility made in one of Goldsworthy’s books. When I read something similar in another book by Powell I started to think. Powell’s work predated Goldsworthy by decades and the thing that got his attention was some archeological finds. Heavy narrow-headed Gallic spears that appeared to have been carried by cavalry. Too heavy to throw or use over arm, Powell deduced that they were most likely couched.
Not convinced I did a little research of my own. My family are into horses, my baby sister competing nationally in equestrian events. Through their contacts I managed to get into contact with a guy that does Medieval jousting (Not many here in Oz). Anyway, to cut a long story short he used his contacts around the world to further discussion. How did these Gauls fight? How did they wield these spears? And could they charge with their spears couched given their equipment, training etc? After much deliberation, basically these guys thought that it was more than likely that the Gauls did couch these spears. Though this would be done in a limited capacity as seen in Napoleonic lancers, ie couching only to striking side / no cross the horses neck jousting. The Gallic saddle, as pointed out by Aymar de Bois Mauri, evidently would have provided enough support. Stirrups, they claim are more of assistance in stationary / slow moving combat (particularly with infantry)..in which case couching is pointless. I’d hasiaguess, the Gauls carried their long swords for just such an aforementioned situation.

Quote[/b] ]"Geez Psycho, we saw this 2-3 times by now m8" - pr Fire

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif Yer, had a bit of spare time and gave some of the units a re-work.

RisingSun, have PM’d you. Like to help out where-ever possible.

Cheers

Mouzafphaerre
06-19-2004, 11:25
-
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
-

scooter_the_shooter
06-19-2004, 13:34
YAY http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-balloon.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-balloon.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-balloon.gif http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-balloon.gif our mod has the all knowing psycho. now we have good units instead of the crappy ones i came up with.lol http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

Aymar de Bois Mauri
06-19-2004, 17:29
Quote[/b] (andrewt @ June 18 2004,16:33)]Wiz, if I'm the one you're asking to elaborate:

What I mean is that the Egyptians were made historically inaccurate and the reason we're given is so they will be cooler in the eyes of mainstream gamers and for variety. If CA wanted variety, then why do the units of all the barbarian factions all look almost the same? If they wanted cool, why do they have such generic names like Gallic swordsmen, Gallic spearmen, etc.? The barbarians look too undistinguished from one another.

If mainstream gamers can memorize what a zergling, hydralisk, ultralisk, mutalisk, etc. are, then I'm sure they can easily learn a few names that are unrecognizable at first.
You are refering a problem in CA's logic I have been unable to solve... http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-confused.gif

Oleander Ardens
06-19-2004, 17:30
Hey Psycho

Do you know the beautiful decorated swordcover of the Hallstadtgrave 996? It shows among other things four rider carrying long lances underhand...

And a typical grave in Western Bohemia of the same timeframe 450-380 BC contains a 55cm long lancehead...

Cheers

OA

Hurin_Rules
06-19-2004, 17:46
Quote[/b] (PSYCHO @ June 19 2004,01:32)]Ta all

Quote[/b] ]"P.S. One quibble: why would the Brihentin couch their lances? Without stirrups or a saddle with a high cantel, you'd just fly over your horse's ass as soon as you made contact" - Hurin_Rules

I know I wouldn’t have thought it possible either. (I was always led to believe such tactics were only ever employed at a much later date due to the adoption of special equipment etc.)
The first I heard of such a notion was a passing comment on the possibility made in one of Goldsworthy’s books. When I read something similar in another book by Powell I started to think. Powell’s work predated Goldsworthy by decades and the thing that got his attention was some archeological finds. Heavy narrow-headed Gallic spears that appeared to have been carried by cavalry. Too heavy to throw or use over arm, Powell deduced that they were most likely couched.
Not convinced I did a little research of my own. My family are into horses, my baby sister competing nationally in equestrian events. Through their contacts I managed to get into contact with a guy that does Medieval jousting (Not many here in Oz). Anyway, to cut a long story short he used his contacts around the world to further discussion. How did these Gauls fight? How did they wield these spears? And could they charge with their spears couched given their equipment, training etc? After much deliberation, basically these guys thought that it was more than likely that the Gauls did couch these spears. Though this would be done in a limited capacity as seen in Napoleonic lancers, ie couching only to striking side / no cross the horses neck jousting. The Gallic saddle, as pointed out by Aymar de Bois Mauri, evidently would have provided enough support. Stirrups, they claim are more of assistance in stationary / slow moving combat (particularly with infantry)..in which case couching is pointless. I’d hasiaguess, the Gauls carried their long swords for just such an aforementioned situation.

Quote[/b] ]"Geez Psycho, we saw this 2-3 times by now m8" - pr Fire

http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif Yer, had a bit of spare time and gave some of the units a re-work.

RisingSun, have PM’d you. Like to help out where-ever possible.

Cheers
Fascinating Thanks for the info.

PSYCHO
06-21-2004, 05:07
Quote[/b] (Oleander Ardens @ June 19 2004,11:30)]Hey Psycho

Do you know the beautiful decorated swordcover of the Hallstadtgrave 996? It shows among other things four rider carrying long lances underhand...

And a typical grave in Western Bohemia of the same timeframe 450-380 BC contains a 55cm long lancehead...

OA
No Sounds interesting, got any pics OA?

Oleander Ardens
06-21-2004, 09:39
Here's a link to a german site were I found an online pic of it. It is at the bottom of page three.

http://www.theiss.de/ktv/leseproben/3806215936.pdf

Note also the huge lancehead of the celticwarrior in the pic above http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif

Psycho calls OA answers http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Mablung
06-21-2004, 10:02
Great stuff PYSCHO http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif
Damn mainstream gamers, this stuff will catch on http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

Oleander Ardens
06-21-2004, 14:49
By the way Psycho;

I will PM you in the next weeks some other celtic unitprofiles mainly from the the alpine regions - if I complete them in time http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

PSYCHO
07-07-2004, 00:40
Some minor name updates. Had to fix some of my Gallic grammar. Conjunctives, singular to plural etc.

IrishMike
07-07-2004, 01:16
(bows to PSYCHO)

Please go and work for CA and make more units of great detail like those.

PSYCHO
07-12-2004, 09:32
Thanks ColdKnight, I'd drop everything in a heart beat if they'd but have me.. but alas as things stand, I must content myself with annoying my fellow forumites. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Not sure if this is ok (mods feel free to edit), but TWC has a new vid of TC up. Bibracte, Rome vs Helvetii. Good show, though they use the old models / 'barbarian' depiction for the Helvetii. I do hope CA depict them a little closer to reality in the final version of RTW. Some nice spiked helmets and a good phalanx of disicplined gauls as per the 'Mori Gaesum' suggestion previous.

my2bob
http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/barrel.gif

The_Emperor
07-12-2004, 13:35
Great stuff Psycho.

Makes me driven to think up some non-generic names for the Britons now... I'll probably have to alter my unit sugguestions so they come from different tribes.

You don't happen to have any helpful extra info do you?

PSYCHO
07-19-2004, 02:45
Quote[/b] (The_Emperor @ July 12 2004,07:35)]Makes me driven to think up some non-generic names for the Britons now... I'll probably have to alter my unit sugguestions so they come from different tribes.

You don't happen to have any helpful extra info do you?
You've done some great work there Emperor.

As far as suggestions, do some digging. Look at archeological finds, tribal names, references etc. Look for anything unique to a tribe / geographical region that could make it stand out / interesting.

I'm not great linguistically, but I could offer a little assitence with the langauge if you want to make some native-tongue type unit names.

If you need a hand just hoy.

Cheers

ah_dut
07-19-2004, 10:16
hail psycho great work however, you're not annoying us dear psycopathic PSYCHO, it's a process of enlightenment, which i clearly need https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

PSYCHO
07-20-2004, 02:16
http://www.jrue.com/albums/userpics/11503/normal_Historical%20Accuracy.jpg

https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

PSYCHO
07-26-2004, 09:04
MORE PROSELYTIZATIONhttps://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If we have to have things like "Chosen Swordsmen" why not:

Take this Germanic looking Gaul
http://www.legiontotalwar.com/RTWUnits/TWC/Screens/TW%20Units/Gallic/chose%20swordsmen.JPG

..and make something like this
http://www.jrue.com/albums/userpics/11503/Gallic%20Chosen%20Swordsmen%20II.JPG

Take this Germanic looking Briton
http://www.legiontotalwar.com/RTWUnits/TWC/Screens/TW%20Units/Britons/Chosen%20Swordsmen.jpg

http://www.jrue.com/albums/userpics/11503/Briton%20Chosen%20Swordsmen%20II.JPG

Take this Fantasy Gallic "Druid Warrior"
http://www.legiontotalwar.com/RTWUnits/TWC/Screens/TW%20Units/Gallic/druids.JPG

http://www.jrue.com/albums/userpics/11503/Carnute%20II%7E0.JPG

You gotta admit, a bit more historical diversity would add a great deal ... if nothing more than eye candy?

Inuyasha12
07-26-2004, 10:10
Awsome units, maybe CA can squeeze some in. If not well mod it https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ah_dut
07-26-2004, 13:55
well, inu maybe u're getting our point on historical accuracy, it makes for a better game https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif

Steppe Merc
07-26-2004, 14:09
Sweet units Pyscho Keep on making some more while I'm gone

PSYCHO
07-26-2004, 14:18
Only if you promise not to leave us for too long mate.
Take care.

alman9898
07-27-2004, 15:35
Quote[/b] (ColdKnight @ July 06 2004,19:16)](bows to PSYCHO)

Please go and work for CA and make more units of great detail like those.
Seconded.