PDA

View Full Version : How to attack a well defended bridge

Tozama
07-13-2004, 19:52
I bet this subject exists somewhere in these forums but when I hit search it says: You are not allowed to use this part of the board so I cannot continue an old thread on it. :surprised:
I am 80% successful attacking bridges. Some of this carried over from STW methods and practice.

Toz's rules for attacking a well defended river province:

1. Have a cutting edge army for the era.

A. If pre-1200 this means feudal sergeants not vanilla spears, this means +1 or preferably +2 or +3 armor for all troops in the attacking army, this means Royal knights or Chiv. Knights not Hobilers......you get the picture
Armor + upgrades and some armored units help a lot to absorb arrows without heavy losses.

B. Bring plenty of ranged units along. If early in early - a large supply of archers. If after 1205 and you're English its Longbows all the way If you have them - arbs are nice to use - PavArbs are best. Bring enough so you can withdraw them only to replace them with more as reinforcements as they run out of arrows/missiles.
In addition to the above points have a nice troop mix for every melee situation.
So If your attacking force is say two stacks, you bring 2-3 billmen or pikes, 4-6 swords, 4-6 high grade spears, 2-4 Hvy.Cav or Knights. 1-2 catapults are good to have as well.
C. Have at least 1.5 : 1 odds in your favor or reconsider the attack until you do unless you see your enemy has much inferior forces and/or few archers on his side.

2. Initial deployment makes or breaks the attack when facing down a strong foe at a bridge. IMO the battle is usually won or lost by what happens with my 1st 16 units on the map. It is seldom my reinforcements snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in a bridge attack.

A. If you have catapults use 1 or 2 in initial deployment and place them in range of the enemy's shoreline.

B. In your 1st 16 unit army you field bring your highest valor units:
2-3 hvy. cav of some sort
2 Billmen or pikes
2 Good qualty high armor upgrade spears
2 Good quality high armor upgrade swords
7 archers/arbs (Longbows if you have them)
Set the pre-battle arrangement using 3 line attack which puts your archers up front since the game makes you start the battle back a bit from the bridge. This way you get your missile fire up in place up front as quickly as possible.
Group your archers in one big group using the group command.

3. Starting the battle:
As soon as you hit Start Battle Click your archers to RUN to your shoreline facing the bridge/enemy and then quickly send a Billman or pike and a sword unit as well right to the edge of the bridge on your side.
The goal here is to do to them what they plan to do to you - whittle them to pieces with arrow fire while trapping them on the bridge.
Once your best sword and spear are enroute to the bridge edge move the rest of your army close but yet out of range of the enemy's arrow fire.
Line them up in an ordered column directly in parallel to the bridge mouth so as you call each unit to action to the bridge he has no turning to do - he just marches straight and quick into action.
Graphic Example:
---------- ----------- ----------
river.... bridge.... river
---------- ----------- ----------
+archer unit+ +spear unit+ +archer unit+ +archer unit+

+sword unit+
+spear unit+
+sword unit+

4. Engagement
Ok you have the sequence started. Now you must react to what your enemy does and according to his setup.

A. The enemy sits just on his shoreline edge. Your Pike unit stops at your side of the bridge edge and your arrows are showering his men with death. If your pike is taking heavy losses from his arrows but he is not sending anyone across the bridge then run your pike back just out of his arrow range and continue the missile barrage.
Usually your arrow fire on him will excite the enemy and he will charge across the bridge himself. Be ready with your pike or sword to quickly run in place to trap any invaders ON THE BRIDGE if he does this. If he charges with cav send pike 1st. If he charges with spears send swords. If he charges with swords (rare for AI to lead with swords early in battle) then send knights in 1st. Key is to send EXACTLY the countering unit to what he sends across that bridge. Golden rule in MTW is Spear/Sword/Cav = Rock/Paper/Scissors. The goal is to pin his charging unit ON the bridge. Then turn most or all your arrow fire directly onto the bridge attacker. If you have longbows this gets brutal. I watch spear units hit that bridge 100 strong, meet my Chiv. Men-at-arms at my side-edge, get a hail of arrows from 6 longbows and run 60 seconds later with less than 30 men alive.
Continue this cycle:
His spears are losing so he sends cav to meet your victorious swords. As soon as you see cav coming in your direction you send in a spear unit to meet it. He sends swords in – you send cav in. Tit for tat. All the while your archers are burning him alive on the bridge with arrows.
Watch your archer ammo and send empty archers back using withdraw command in 2-3 unit groups to bring fresh archers in to replace them. NEVER wait until all your archers are empty and send all of them back for replacements at once. You want constant arrow fire on the bridge.

At some point about 80% of the time after mauling his men badly he will send in the general – jedi unit to try to tip the balance on the bridge. As soon as I see that big square flag marching down to the bridge I hit “select all” and double click attack all my units on his general.
By the time he hits the bridge my whole army is descending on it as well and all my arrow fire is targeting him. If his general is royal knights (usually is) he’s lucky to arrive with over 12 men as he begins melee since my longbows blasted him every step on his way. Your goal now becomes kill/capture the general with the final goal of this causing a mass route of the enemy army. It seldom fails if you followed all the requirements for your army in this guide.

B. The enemy sits up on a hill looking down onto the bridge but out of range of your archers on your shoreline. A stalemate which you cannot ignore since you lose as attacker in a stalemate.
He will sit back out of range and try to wait you out. He sends volleys of catapult fire into your lines as they sit near the shoreline. If you move across the bridge his arrows hit you enmass just as you touch foot on his side of the bridge.
Ok this is probably the toughest scenario. But it is still winnable.
You have 2 primary choices here. Its best to try solution #1 1st. Then if that fails use solution #2

Solution #1:
Take your highest armor upgraded spear(+3 if you have one) with high valor and set to NOT hold formation and loose formation and not hold position(Not hold formation so he can turn and run without regrouping into lines first = quicker reaction times when changing direction, Loose formation so he is hit less by arrows than if in close formation). Run him full speed across the bridge and directly at the weakest - yet closest unit in his line. For example a forward unprotected archer unit on his far right. Often this charge will bring a reaction of him sending melee troops to meet your spear. But do not engage. Turn your spear around asap and run him back across the bridge. 70% of the time the foe will give chase all the way across the bridge. Once he has men in battle the rest of his army usually comes down for the fight. Now you proceed with plan A above in this guide.
Now you may be thinking to yourself “why send a spear across to run him back when you can send cavalry across and run them back faster?”
Well I find 100 spears seem to have enough men alive after being hit by arrows doing this bait tactic so the enemy sees them as worth chasing. Yet they are fast enough that only cavalry can usually catch them in a chase. I find sending cav across sometimes they hit my 20 man royal knights down to about 8 men by the time I run him back and the Ai seems to think 8 men aren’t worth giving up their ground to go chase. And since spears aren't elite I have less risk of my army routing since a non-elite unit is the one losing or routing. If Royal Cav begins to route you lose the exemption of ignores routers who aren't elite that some units have.
I’ve had a few occasions that cav. Handled the bait job just fine. But against a high star general on expert I usually just lose knights and no one chases me. Also send a spear because it negates (mostly) him simply sending 20-40 knights down quickly enough to snag and kill your bait since knights are fast but do not fare so well vs. Spears. This makes him commit swords usually or UM or something anyway.

Solution #2:
This has a lower probability for success but still does win most times.
If you tried solution #1 and no one will chase you to the bridge you sit in stalemate and now with one wounded bait unit running back across the bridge or worse – dead because he got snagged by something faster. Withdraw your bait unit if he’s badly hurt and withdraw 50-75% of your archers in trade for every cavalry unit you have in reserve. When you run out of cav to bring up bring up swords next. Do not advance until all reinforcements have arrived so you attack in full 16 unit force.
Mass your army on your side with cavalry first then a mix of the rest of the melee men and your remaining archers just leave in place on the shoreline as cover fire just in case for now.
Your first goal now is to get as many men on their shore as possible before he attacks you. Run your cavalry over first but do not charge him. Instead run them to one side or the other – wherever there’s room to run so they’re out of arrow range and away from his spears. If his army chases your mass horses GREAT He broke his lines for you as your foot-troops come across March your footmen (spears and swords) across and try to form a good battle line before advancing. Meaning do NOT send in units at the enemy lines one at a time like meat into a meat grinder. Try hard to mass as big a line of men as you can before he attacks you or you attack him. Do this just on his side of the bridge so iF HE DOES attack you mid-way through this process your archers can make some kills and relieve some of the pressure.
From here its play it by ear ground attack tactics. Try to kill his general – always good for a route most days. Do the same things you normally do in battle that win for you.
The only thing different is the bridge and you either USE IT to your advantage in example A, or you negate it being his advantage by crossing enmass in example B.

I’ll try to clean this up and replace my sad graphic text with a real screenshot later in an edit.

Blodrast
07-13-2004, 20:01
nice post ;)
btw, a few suggestions:

1. instead of using spears for drawing missile fire, use halbs. They are rather cheap and take missile fire much better. They won't break the enemy lines, but then neither will the spears. If they have really high armour, then you may actually wait till some of the enemy missile troops run out of ammo - even at the expense of one or two units of halbs...

2. ok, not sure exactly if this is valid in all bridge scenarios, but as far as I can recall, it was always true in my cases. Most of the time, there are 2 (two) bridges in the scenario.
If you're facing a tough enemy well entrenched on his hill or whatever, and his archers are peppering you with missiles, just send some of your force around the other bridge, and flank/rear him - preferably his missile troops.
At the same time, of course, while keeping most of his missile troops skirmishing away from your cav (or killing them), the bulk of your troops can charge over the bridge. There will be little or no missile fire.

Depending on quality of his troops and yours, you may decide to send some suicidal cheap cav with the only purpose of triggering the enemy missile units to skirmish away from you, while your troops charge over the bridge, or some more decent cav to actually kill them, and be able to survive until your troops arrive over the bridge.

Horse Archers for drawing foot missile troops are also very good, since they are cheap, fast, and expendable.

katank
07-13-2004, 20:18
on the contrary, I find it best to field mostly missiles in the first wave and cut them down to size by pure fire power with a few melee units in case they try to charge across.

sending cav around the second bridge is always useful.

BTW, IIRC ichi suggested a pack of three arrangement in which 1 spear, 1 sword, and 1 jav marches in unison onto the bridge and you have staying power, killing power, and jav to whittle down their strong units that are engaged.

Tozama
07-13-2004, 20:28
I did specify well defended bridge since we all know if your enemy only has peasants 2 archers and a little other rabble you can usually charge straight at him with cavalry etc. and win with little planning or effort.

katank
07-13-2004, 20:29
AI almost never defends the second bridge.

outduel them with missiles can still work regardless.

ah_dut
07-13-2004, 21:21
Quote[/b] (katank @ July 13 2004,14:29)]outduel them with missiles can still work regardless.
my favoured tactics in most cases http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Medieval Assassin
07-13-2004, 21:38
I like to use halbs, or something to draw them out onto the bridge, and if your luckey, you can get an organ shot off, http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif To the enemy, Lather, Rinse , Repeat as needed.

Tozama
07-14-2004, 14:48
Quote[/b] (Medieval Assassin @ July 13 2004,16:38)]I like to use halbs, or something to draw them out onto the bridge, and if your luckey, you can get an organ shot off, ~:wave: To the enemy, Lather, Rinse , Repeat as needed.
I have used Halbs sometimes at the bridge as a lead unit on my side mainly for their armor but to run them as bait they seem so slow they cannot outrun anything that chases them.

Blodrast
07-14-2004, 17:21
Quote[/b] (katank @ July 13 2004,15:29)]outduel them with missiles can still work regardless.
yeah, but it bores me to death...
i hate missile duels https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ceasarno.gif

Gregoshi
07-14-2004, 17:40
When I order multiple units across the bridge, I give them different destinations on the far side: one to advance left, one to advance up the center and one to advance right. The idea is to give your men as big of a bridgehead on the far side as possible. The more room your men have, the more room there is for maneuver to take advantage of opportunities that arise during the melee.

Nice post Toz. You gave me some good food for thought on bridge battles.

Kommodus
07-14-2004, 18:11
Curiously, many of my bridge battles seem to be under conditions that particularly favor the defenders. Specifically, there's usually only one bridge, and it's often so long that archers standing on one bank don't have the range to hit enemies on the other bank. Units need to actually be on the bridge in order for archers to be able to hit them.

Quite naturally, then, I simply won't launch an attack over a river if the bridge is well-defended. Since it's easy to find out if you'll have a bridge battle before you attack, I simply circumvent the rivers. Sometimes, I'll launch an attack over a river with overwhelming force, hoping the enemy retreats without offering battle.

In the few offensive bridge battles I fight, then, I always have a significant numerical and qualitative edge. I bring a lot of bowmen, but I don't count on them being able to reach the enemy on the opposite bank; rather, I'll use them to shoot at enemies I lure onto the bridge. I often use light cavalry as bait, since they are usually cheap and expendable, and move quickly enough to not be in range of enemy archers for too long. They may become briefly engaged before withdrawing, but this only increases the probability that the enemy will give chase, even though I'll lose a few horsemen in the process. If they are routed, the enemy is even more likely to pursue.

My latest bridge battle was against the French, in which the French king and his RK were accompanied by only a half-strength unit of CMAA. My Almohad prince lured the CMAA onto the bridge, where they were cut down by my AUM. Unfortunately, the enemy king charged the bridge while my AUM was finishing off the CMAA. Unable to pull them back in time, I had to let my AUM fight as well as they could. Of course, the RK quickly routed them, then pursued them to my side of the bridge, where they were met by a wall of my Muwahid foot. Surprisingly, the RK easily powered through my spear wall, but not before other units of Muwahid foot had moved behind them and surrounded them. Only the French king and 3 CMAA survived.

Blodrast
07-14-2004, 18:19
so, again, I ask: does anyone know when exactly there are two bridges and when there's only one in a bridge battle ?
Is it when it would be a bridge battle if fought from either province (as opposed to one-way bridge battles) ? Is it random ?

katank
07-14-2004, 19:26
nope, not random.

some places like between khazar and chernigov, it's always 1 bridge as is somewhere to valencia.

you'd have to check.

bridges aren't that long, usually one bank is within bowshot of the other.

bring along catapults and other siege

the enemy usually have no reply to that.

also muwahids have bad defense and should be used as a sword units with anticav bonus instead of something to eat cav charges with.

use nubians to hold the enemy cav in deep formation and order muwahid to flank or rear attack in 2 ranks.

Spartiate
07-14-2004, 20:55
A nice little tactic that carried over from STW to MTW is to get 2 very light units of cavalry and charge them across the bridge,sending one unit right and one left.This pulls the dumb AI in every direction to chase two non-threatening units instead of watching the one thing it should be.......THE BRIDGE.Simply march your heavy infantry across now under cover of bow-fire and possibly with a heavy cav screen to buy them time if they still need it to reach the far bank and it's all over for the AI.

Okay,it's a cheap and unsporting tactic but the AI falls for it 4 out of 5 times except on expert.Even then it's worth a shot. https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

katank
07-14-2004, 21:07
I think I did that a few times by accident and found the battle easy. so that's why. nice tip

a lot of MTW code is apparently recycled from shoggy so little surprise there.

also, many analogies can be drawn between units such as nodachi=ghazi, warrior monk=varangian etc.

lancer63
07-14-2004, 22:19
Well I've found that in Kiev in some battles there are 2 bridges and in others just 1. Once I even quick saved the prebattle that clearly showed 2 bridges but the next day there was only one. Valencia is other field you're most likely to have a brid ge battle. I've had quite a few battles in those places and they're seldom the same terrain (which I like). Most of the time I find one bridge only and very rarely 3.
And yes, I´ve found that some bridges are longer than others because my archers can't reach the other shore and even my arbs have trouble there.

Man I love this game. You're never 100% sure what's gonna happen next. https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-2thumbsup.gif

The_Emperor
07-14-2004, 23:15
The way you effectively attack a single bridge is simple... Make THEM attack you

But how do you do this Emp? I hear you cry, simple bring along a couple of Catapults and place them as far forward as possible at your end of the bridge.

Now once the battle begins the AI will see your artillery foolishly exposed like this and will charge across while you launch a few rocks at them... Rush your men into position to protect the artillery and provide archer support

The enemy will probably stop midway along the bridge thinking they cannot make it across, but they also will have difficulty going backwards because of the men behind them

I have a replay from my recent English Campaign which was on Expert Difficulty which I will post.

But trust me give it a try, it has worked for me a few times now.

Seven.the.Hun
07-15-2004, 03:24
yes, indeed, happened to me before too, ordering attackers across the bridge in different directions makes them more mobile or simply confuses AI, and making them attack you has worked more easily with the artillery thing close up, shooting at them https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

katar
07-15-2004, 03:49
Quote[/b] ]The_Emperor wrote:
bring along a couple of Catapults and place them as far forward as possible at your end of the bridge.

i prefer to to set six catapults up along the bank, and start blowing the crap out of the defenders from the very start, especially nice when you take out their general.

while they are pounding away at the enemy, bring your archers into position ASAP and get them firing into the fray as well.

soon the enemy will back off out of catapult/arrow range, giving you the chance to bring some cav, infantry and unused archers to the far side of the bridge.

once you have formed a defencive foothold on their side of the bridge withdraw the archers and catapult crews that have run out of missiles and replace them with more inf and cav.

form them all up on the far side of the bridge and start slaughtering the enemy as you wish (assuming that the enemy hasn`t already started to withdraw at this point). https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

katank
07-15-2004, 04:09
I usually work with they type of technique that katar does.

gaijinalways
07-15-2004, 05:52
Hmm, I may need to try using cats more. I tend not to use artillery much as I notice the AI doesn't use it that effectively. Also, until the cats get more valor, they tend to be useless.

As to using pav albs, I would say know. Retreating them for reinforcements takes ages, usually they don't make it off before the battle finishes

As to halbs, as mentioned earlier, they're too slow to run away and also too slow to manage to harass the missile types (if the AI has better ones).

Mith_
07-15-2004, 06:05
prefer to to set six catapults up along the bank, and start blowing the crap out of the defenders from the very start, especially nice when you take out their general.

while they are pounding away at the enemy, bring your archers into position ASAP and get them firing into the fray as well.

soon the enemy will back off out of catapult/arrow range, giving you the chance to bring some cav, infantry and unused archers to the far side of the bridge.

once you have formed a defencive foothold on their side of the bridge withdraw the archers and catapult crews that have run out of missiles and replace them with more inf and cav.

form them all up on the far side of the bridge and start slaughtering the enemy as you wish (assuming that the enemy hasn`t already started to withdraw at this point).

I did almost the exact same thing in my last campaign, even with exactly six catapults. I was attacking the Almohads holed up in Valencia. However, I thought it was a rather lame tactic to use against the AI because it did not move its units out of the way. Its army simply stood there taking massive casualties from my catapults. By the time they ran out of ammo and I withdrew them, the Khalifah was dead, the enemy army was whittled down to nearly nothing and I sent only some Turcoman Horse and Armenian Heavy Cav to mop up (I think the enemy army was not sitting right on top of the bridge but was a little behind it, still in range of my catapults but giving my cavlary room and time to flank after they crossed instead of getting mauled). Catapults are in general awesome on bridge battles, attack or defense-- my valored-up squad of cats have taken down the Almohad Khalifah, the Khan of the Golden Horde, and two successive Hungarian kings in my current campaign.

Neubs
07-16-2004, 00:41
1 General
1 High Defense, High morale meat-shield
14 Catapults
14 missile reserves

Stagger the catapult fire for a rolling effect. Put the meat man in hold formation, hold position right in front of the bridge. Use the general to protect the flank if it's an issue. Fire all the rocks, bring in archers. Fire all the arrows. Bring in cavalry to chase routers.

Tozama
07-16-2004, 13:01
Quote[/b] (Neubs @ July 15 2004,19:41)]1 General
1 High Defense, High morale meat-shield
14 Catapults
14 missile reserves

Stagger the catapult fire for a rolling effect. Put the meat man in hold formation, hold position right in front of the bridge. Use the general to protect the flank if it's an issue. Fire all the rocks, bring in archers. Fire all the arrows. Bring in cavalry to chase routers.
I gotta try that. Sounds fun.

katank
07-16-2004, 17:08
whether on attack or defense, the AI tends to clump around the bridge.

aim for front of center and the bouncing rocks will take care of everything.

the catapults valor up fast too.

I've had ones shoot up 2-3 valor in a single battle.