PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Archers 2m far from you

Nowake
07-20-2004, 14:15
This thread comes in a way as consequence to the volley or direct shot (https://forums.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=19;t=20221;st=0) thread.

There are many situations when your thin line of archers is broken in one place by a compact enemy infantry unit. The unit will then go on melee or you'll have to retreat it to use it properly.

But this should be more simple. Introduce another formation, only for missile units, like the wedge formation or close formation. You can call it "break the line" or something along that line. Basicly, the whole unit would spread like in loose formation, the individual archers attacked would respond through melee, and the rest would continue to pepper with arrows the unit you want (including the one that just attacked you)

State your mind ..

Omegamann
07-20-2004, 16:11
I disagree,
a unit of archers that has been attacked in meele will not simply spread out, ignoring their fellows being slaughtered while shooting at a distant unit far away.
They would also not shoot rigth into the meele as chance are good that they would hit their own guys.
I think its reasonable to presume that they would either rush in to help their fellows, if they see a chance of winning, or they would withdraw a bit, leaving the guys engaged to their fate and getting as much space as possible between them and the attackers while they are occupied in meele.

Aelwyn
07-20-2004, 17:55
I agree with Omegamann. If archers are being engaged, they weren't properly protected, and thus they should get some sort of penalty (not being able to fire properly).

longjohn2
07-20-2004, 18:01
The way TW games have always worked, is that if only a few archers are engaged, the rest will carry on shooting. If a significant number of them are engaged, then the unit goes into general melee