PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the slain Spanish King

GottMitUns
07-22-2004, 05:13
The year is 1212, the glorious Holy Roman Empire stretches across the whole of Europe. On its southwesternmost border the Spanish have been massing troops for years. Finally they attack. From the (cough) masterfully established German defenses, the Spanish are thrown back and their King is slain. Shouts of huzzah roar across the battle field from the victorious german side.

The enemy is routed completely and just after the lists of the dead and valorious are being read the whole universe flashes black then suddenly there is nothing but a confused idiot in the 21fst century staring at his desktop blankly.

Why does it do this? Twice the spanish attack, twice they are repulsed and their king slain, but just when I hit ok and the game should go back to the campaign map, the whole thing crashes right back to my desktop with the mtw exe. totaly down. I am playing an unpatched version. Does the patch help this?

Also, if I start a battle with a seige weapon and exchange it for a different unit type, the other units place as if the seige unit was still there. In other words, a line of archers will have a big gap in them where the seige unit used to be.

I am having alot of fun with this game and really want to finish it. Can anyone help with the bug?

Sorry if the problem is a repost, I tried searching for other simaler posts but apparently I am not allowed to search because I am a junior Patron.

Thanks in advance

Maeda Toshiie
07-22-2004, 05:37
1. Welcome to the forums. (not exactly pimpage but you could have searched the forums at .com)

2. As for the CTD, not exactly uncommon. Patching the game *may* help to prevent it. However, patching the game means that there would be considerable changes (due to certain bugs and things brought in line with the manual being fixed).

3. Also, patch your directx and video card drivers to the latest.

4. As for the siege machine thing, if you are the defender, you can freely redeploy your units in whatever position and shape you want. As the attacker it is not possible. However, after switching out the siege equipment, you can choose the army formation to a suitable one.

GottMitUns
07-22-2004, 22:06
Thanks for the info and welcome. I did download the patch, and it did seem to fix the problem, but honestly it did change the game. Instead of spain attacking me, nearly everyone else does. What I meant with the seige units is that the unit seems to have a placeholder, something that tells the program it is there. This stays even when the unit itself is swapped out. When I put my cursor over it it even says trebuchet or whatever the name of the seige unit was.

BTW is there some kind of automatic feature in the other countries that tells them to attack you when you reach a certain amount of money or territory? It seems like for no reason at all I am being hit with arbitrary suicide invasions and attacks on my fleet.

clovenhoof
07-22-2004, 22:12
btw gottmittuns is me, I made the other name because I thought this one was lost. I just started playing MTW again after a long break.

Ludens
07-24-2004, 16:39
Quote[/b] (GottMitUns @ July 22 2004,23:06)]BTW is there some kind of automatic feature in the other countries that tells them to attack you when you reach a certain amount of money or territory? It seems like for no reason at all I am being hit with arbitrary suicide invasions and attacks on my fleet.
Yes, there is. The trigger point is if you conquer 60% of the map. Also, there will be a sudden increase in the accumulation rate of vices.

Quote[/b] ]Thanks for the info and welcome. I did download the patch, and it did seem to fix the problem, but honestly it did change the game. Instead of spain attacking me, nearly everyone else does. What I meant with the seige units is that the unit seems to have a placeholder, something that tells the program it is there. This stays even when the unit itself is swapped out. When I put my cursor over it it even says trebuchet or whatever the name of the seige unit was.
I have no idea what causes this.

As for the search function: it has been disabled for everyone. The forum is having technical troubles, and the search function was to blame. Hopefully, they will be resolved as soon as the forum is moved.