PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question(?)

08-01-2004, 06:08
Alright, don't know if this the board for this question, and if it isn't sorry. Well anyway, I'm having some technical problems with the installation part of the game(which I bought today btw, Huzzah for me http://212.238.194.39/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif), when I press the 'Instal Medieval - Total War) button...nothing happens, no small message that appears that I need to instal something or that my PC isn't compatible....So anyway, can you guys tell me what that means?

Thanks in advance.

08-01-2004, 06:15
Btw, I can go up to the point where they ask me to install Medieval Total War before proceeding with the Viking Invasion installation. So again, any help really really appreciated.

Degtyarev14.5
08-01-2004, 07:38
Sounds like your autoplay function is not quite with it... No worries, just go to My Computer => whichever drive has the CD in it (probably D:\ ) and select Setup.exe. Let us know if that does the trick.

Good luck

A.

crazyviking03
08-04-2004, 06:13
I had the exact same problem!!! I banged my head against the computer for days, and then I decided to say the shit with it and I manualy copied all files from cd into my MTW folder. Only problem then being that the patch doesnt recognize the installation....

EatYerGreens
08-14-2004, 23:39
I had the exact same problem!!! I banged my head against the computer for days, and then I decided to say the shit with it and I manualy copied all files from cd into my MTW folder. Only problem then being that the patch doesnt recognize the installation....

Well, you were lucky that this wasn't one of those CDs where some or all of the contents are self-extracting compressed files.

The patch won't recognize the installation because, in your case, it's not an installation - it's a bunch of copied files. ~:rolleyes: It runs okay but the various changes to the Windows Registry which installer software does for you have not been made. Evidently the patch looks in the registry to see whether you installed MTW in the default folder path or put it in a custom location. Sounds like the patch is not even giving you the opportunity to browse to it?

It may also be looking in the Registry for an entry which relates to the MTW jewel-case serial number, just to verify it's a legit install (which I assume it is).

The reverse situation also holds true. Sometimes someone will report a chronic s/w problem and tell everyone that they've uninstalled and reinstalled umpteen times. Eventually it emerges that they did a proper install each time but their idea of an uninstall is to just delete folders and files. Of course, this leaves entries behind in the Registry so things are going wrong due to near-duplicate entries going into the Registry at each successive install.

In short, if a program has an install routine, always use the corresponding uninstaller, if one is provided, or else use Add/Remove programs to take it off.

Installed add-ons need to be uninstalled before the main program (ie everything comes off in reverse order to the way they went in) on every occasion where you want to uninstall/reinstall the main program for some reason. Patches generally aren't reversible, you just run them again (assuming you didn't erase the download once you'd used it).

Incidentally, if any folder structure is left behind by either uninstall method, it's probably because there are game-saves in there. Gives you a chance to back them up before hand-deleting the parent folder. Games written since XP tend to store saves under the Documents and Settings path, so these will survive the uninstall/resinstall routine.

USMCNJ
08-14-2004, 23:46
i remember when MTW first hit the shelfs a lot of people had a problem with installation. The reason was that they had dvd/cd players. All you have to do is copy all the files from the first cd only to somewhere on you pc. then click on the setup file that is now on your pc. everything installes normally, and then it will ask you for the second cd.

Papewaio
08-15-2004, 02:02
Hi EYG-san,

Your posts are verbose, nice and informative!

Can I take a guess that you work with computers or some type of career that requires well done documentation.

Regards,
Pape

Spartiate
08-15-2004, 13:37
I had this problem for a while after installing windows xp.After much shouting i eventually re-installed xp and MTW installed perfectly once more.