PDA

View Full Version : SFX in Rome Totalwar

KyodaiSteeleye
08-03-2004, 18:43
Hi,

I'm not going to start whinging about the new game, and it looks great (i got my existing PC in order to play Shogun - i'm going to replace it specifically in order to be able to play RTW).

However - looking at the videos on the activision rome site, I was thinking that the developers may have gone a bit gung-ho on the old SFX - nearly every clip seems to have bodies flying all over the place - eg: when a charge hits, there's men being launched 10ft into the air, when a stone hits the ground, there's guys being chucked everywhere. Also the whole thing about commanders rearing their horses seemingly everytime they order an attack -

ok, i've got nothing against the developers trying to make it exciting, but my feeling after viewing the vids was that they were piling it on a bit thick - its all a bit hollywood? What do others think?

Ludens
08-03-2004, 19:20
Yes, I've been wondering about this as wel. Especially the rearing horses: wouldn't that commander slide out of his sadle onto his backside?

Aymar de Bois Mauri
08-03-2004, 20:16
That was expected from promotional videos. However, I agree that they are a long way from a minimum realistic feeling. But what to be expected after things like the New Kingdom Egyptian faction? ~:rolleyes:

Blodrast
08-03-2004, 20:52
What I found a bit odd was another thing: the catapults.
As you probably saw in that german video a while ago, the boulders/rocks thrown from a catapult affect a very large number of men; in the video, like 20-30 are thrown all around.
However, for balancing reasons, I assume, not all die. (those catapults did seem a bit too devastating, I mean, how big were those boulders ? And surely they would not bounce on earth, there was no concrete to bounce on...).
So what I found odd was that a big mass of people were thrown around at an impact, only to get up afterwards and go back to fighting. I mean, come on, if I've been thrown in the air (not to mention actually HIT by a freaking rock), I doubt that I would get back up. Ever.

Granted, it would be much less spectacular if only 2-3 people were killed, and I do mean killed, as in they do not get up and continue fighting, but certainly more realistic.

crazyviking03
08-04-2004, 06:02
I really hope the whole general rearing back on his horse bit is just a random action that has been scripted into the previews, because it really bugs me. I am not sure why, it just looks so forced and foolish, I mean, the dude goes back so far it makes me hurt just watching it.

Oaty
08-04-2004, 07:23
How hard would it be to bend forward as the horse rears back. I'm talking about a general in full armour as the armour reduces flexibility. Acoording to other posts, when a man in full armour fell over he needed help getting back up due to weight and and reduced flexibility.

CBR
08-04-2004, 12:33
Acoording to other posts, when a man in full armour fell over he needed help getting back up due to weight and and reduced flexibility.

No armours were so heavy to cause problems like that. That would give extreme fatigue problems as well as making it nearly impossible to do any serious fighting. And fatigue was bad enough with the ones they used.

Some tournament armor were very heavy but was for maximum safety as well as being used on horse only. Armor meant for real battles had to be lighter.

CBR

The_Emperor
08-04-2004, 13:01
In TC Episodes we saw the Generals giving orders, but they didn't rear up all the time... I am only guessing that this will only happen at certain times (such as the General's unit charging, or ordering a volley)

Yoritomo
08-05-2004, 13:16
I must admit, if this was to happen evertime you ordered a unit, it would look rediculous, not to mention the poor horse would be knackered.

As with the flying in mid air and getting back up to fight is a little unrealistic. Maybe they lay on the ground unconcious or drag themselves away crawling on the ground, now thats realistic!!!

nightcrawlerblue
08-05-2004, 14:44
Hi,

I'm not going to start whinging about the new game, and it looks great (i got my existing PC in order to play Shogun - i'm going to replace it specifically in order to be able to play RTW).

However - looking at the videos on the activision rome site, I was thinking that the developers may have gone a bit gung-ho on the old SFX - nearly every clip seems to have bodies flying all over the place - eg: when a charge hits, there's men being launched 10ft into the air, when a stone hits the ground, there's guys being chucked everywhere. Also the whole thing about commanders rearing their horses seemingly everytime they order an attack -

ok, i've got nothing against the developers trying to make it exciting, but my feeling after viewing the vids was that they were piling it on a bit thick - its all a bit hollywood? What do others think?

Shhhhhhh! I'm all for realism but IMHO the more flying bodies the better! ~:rolleyes:

Iashiii
08-05-2004, 17:08
The only thing which worries me are the explosion and fire effects. To me, they always look really 2D, and crappy. Also, I like the idea of my general rearing up on his horse - makes him seem more realistic, and perhaps more heroic. As for the flying bodies, the people are probably just jumping out of the way of the catapult stone. It makes sense to me, anyway.

crazyviking03
08-05-2004, 19:05
Ah, men lying unconcious on the battlefield, reminds me of my long days of old playing Close Combat III. "Get up damn you, there is a Tiger Tank coming and you are my only bazooka! What? A mortar hit you? Do you want some cheese with that wine!?"

:director: :surrender: