PDA

View Full Version : Faulty unit prod file, help please :(

Myrddraal
08-05-2004, 13:51
My mod crashes at the start of the second turn. Its a common problem I know, but I have a bit more info which I hope you can use to help me. The problem is something to do with a unit prod file I was making. I know this because I made a backup before I started work on it, and when I replace the unit prod with the old one the game works again.

Any ideas?

P.S. For those interested work on the WoT mod has been stopped recently due to holidays without access to a comp, but I hope to start work again. Thats why I'm still on units. ~:)

Monkwarrior
08-06-2004, 09:10
My mod crashes at the start of the second turn....I have a bit more info which I hope you can use to help me. The problem is something to do with a unit prod file ...

Well, unit prod is probably the most difficult file to mod (together with the startpos file).
What did you change in it? Lots of data?
I recomend you to go step by step. It is time consuming but more secure.
Good luck.

Myrddraal
08-06-2004, 11:01
I should prob give u some more info just in case someone has already had a similar problem and might recognise it:

I've deleted a lot of units
I've renamed some units
I've added some units

In game the map appears, I can see peasants in the armies (Peasants are the royal at the moment, and I only have one other type of unit on the map to start with and they work fine)

I can see my recruiting options, all the units appear so do their descriptions names etc.

Could it be that when one of the units is built, the game crashes, and this unit is always built in the first turn?

In the meantime, I'll remove the units one by one to see if I can find a faulty unit.

Nomad
08-06-2004, 12:00
Hi Myrddrael,
Yes it most likely one of your new unts is causing the CTD. As MonkWarrior says there's only one way to edit, (once you've found errors) and thats go back to the begining and do it step by step. If the games loading, your unit_prod file is probably OK.
Scripting errors within the unit prod, normally prevent the game from working at all. The error is more likely to be with names, descriptions or the unit bifs in Infopics or Review panel. A good way to isolate the unit that has the problem is to open your new units in Custom battle. If/When a CTD occurs "Eureka" you've found the critter.
Happy hunting
~:wave:

Monkwarrior
08-06-2004, 12:28
I've deleted a lot of units
I've renamed some units
I've added some units

UFFFFF!!!!!
You did a lot of things at the same time.

First, DO NOT DELETE A SINGLE UNIT. It is not necessary and this will give you lots of problems. Simply delete the building necessary to train the unit and it won't be accessible in the mod. It is also important if you like to see the corpses (mainly of your enemies ~D ) in the battlefield. (this is a question long to explain)

Having this in mind, just change the stats of the units you want to use with the same name and add new units (even if they are the same as in the original game with a new name), paying attention you have all the related graphic files.

And please, SAVE THE NEW FILE WITH ANOTHER NAME and remember to include this name in the startpos file.
I hope this will help you.
~:wave:

Spartiate
08-07-2004, 16:19
This is a game were you have introduced an entirely new faction?If so you need to copy and rename some of the folders in the Textures/Units section of the MTW folder.Only the ones associated with face-shields or something of the sort.there is a New Faction guide somewhere by a talented individual named Starkhorn and he names these units at the end of it.He tells us that we need to rename some of the folders as custom folders in order for our new faction to be able to train them.

Duke John
08-08-2004, 08:01
Behold the answer to your question!

:tongue:
This is most probably caused by rebellions. There is a column in unitprod with numbers with all the different rebellions. If a rebellion occurs MTW will look into that column and makes an army with units that have that rebellion listed in their column.

After turn 1 it is likely that a few provinces will rebel if you didn't put garrisons in all of them. MTW now tries to make a rebel army.

But since you deleted loads of units you have probably also deleted the rebellion entries. So MTW cannot find entries with that rebellion and then it crashes!

To solve this you need to give your new units those rebellion units. First step is to make sure that all of them are included. Next step is to tweak the rebellions so that they have a good setup.

And make sure that you include all the rebellions! If you forget a rebellion that very rarely occurs then your game might crash at turn 43 leaving you either stumpified or you will remember this.

Good luck with it and let us know if this was the problem.

Cheers, Duke John

Myrddraal
08-12-2004, 15:38
Thx a lot everyone! The problem must have been to do with deleted units, because I copied the units I had added, pasted them at the top of my backup, and used that as the unit prod. The game worked fine, except for Pronoi Alligion sp?, It crashes at the start of any battle with them in it. But this does not matter as Pronoi Alligion is one of the units I wanted to delete. I will consider all ur points when I re-begin work on the unit prod. Thx again.

Kali
08-15-2004, 10:35
Behold the answer to your question!
:tongue:
This is most probably caused by rebellions. There is a column in unitprod with numbers with all the different rebellions. If a rebellion occurs MTW will look into that column and makes an army with units that have that rebellion listed in their column.
A good bit of info there, didn't know that.
~:cheers: