PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else likes the voice command confirmations?

afrit
08-26-2004, 18:44
There has been a lot of complaining about the units repeating their commands or declaring their identity.

I happen to like that. The only ones that bother me a bit are the barbarian ones referring to themselves as barbarians. The accents are OK. MTW's sounds are very hard to interprest, especially the latin ones. I wish MTW had them in English.

Anyone else feels the same?

Afrit

PS: the cathaginian "your enemies are crrrrrushed.." dude is a different story. He must go.

Sjakihata
08-26-2004, 18:47
to some extent I like it. I like the idea that you hear the unit commander giving orders, but things like "We're under attack!" reminds me too much of normal RTS.

Naturally, the voices should be in native tongues, and not english-latin like in mtw, proper latin.

Tamur
08-26-2004, 18:56
I do like the voice confirmation of commands, it really helps me know I ordered them to do what I had hoped to order them to do.

The post-battle voices are a different matter for me. My six-year old son, on the other hand, was thrilled to hear that his enemies had been crushed ~:)

Cloudkill
08-26-2004, 19:36
I just think it's cool hearing the general actually shouting the orders and the troops responding. It really adds to the realism IMO. I can't see why some people may not like them (except perhaps Barbarians calling themselves Barbarians, but then again, they may call themselves that, if that's how their general classifies them and they don't mind.

Orda Khan
08-26-2004, 23:38
I can just imagine a real commander ' shouting ' orders ~:joker: with all the noise of battle...or even simply marching, I doubt he would be heard by any other than his bodyguard.

But let's imagine all his troops can hear him ok..." SACRED BAND CAVALRY!!! " kind of gives away the ambush position to the enemy

......Orda

Lonewarrior
08-26-2004, 23:47
To a very little extend I like it.

Steppe Merc
08-27-2004, 01:00
I really hate them. Why would they be speaking English, for goodness sakes? And I don't want my general to tell me he's my general, I know that darn it!

Lord of the Isles
08-27-2004, 01:28
Org forums: we have posted your article.

[I thought you'd like that confirmation]

Spino
08-27-2004, 02:11
I don't care for them. If there must be a confirmation sound file for each unit I would sooner have them respond with a simply, "Sir!" instead of the silliness that exists right now. The worst part is that most of the voiceovers for these confirmations are terrible. The RTS games CA has obviously copied to bring RTW to the masses have superior unit confirmation voices than these. The barbarian units sound like grumpy axe wielding dwarves found in virtually every fantasy RTS and rpg game ever made... blech ~:rolleyes:

See my sig for further evidence of my displeasure...

andrewt
08-27-2004, 04:17
A simple "Sir" or "Yes" or something creative like in RTSs is fine. Stating the name of their unit just sounds retarded to me.

USMCNJ
08-27-2004, 04:34
i just use mute.

Orda Khan
08-27-2004, 23:54
I don't care for them. If there must be a confirmation sound file for each unit I would sooner have them respond with a simply, "Sir!" instead of the silliness that exists right now. The worst part is that most of the voiceovers for these confirmations are terrible. The RTS games CA has obviously copied to bring RTW to the masses have superior unit confirmation voices than these. The barbarian units sound like grumpy axe wielding dwarves found in virtually every fantasy RTS and rpg game ever made... blech ~:rolleyes:

See my sig for further evidence of my displeasure...

Yeh that's the worst of them all

......Orda

King Azzole
08-28-2004, 00:24
I enjoy them all, except for the "were under atttaccckkkk" which is just downright annoying... No Shit genius! I thought those 30000 romans were here to give us flowers? ~:dizzy:

Mr. Juice
08-28-2004, 01:23
I really, really, don't like the identification voiceovers. I also wish that the troops spoke in their native tounge. The "We're under attack!" is terrible as well. My response to this is, "no shit."

Sjakihata
08-28-2004, 01:30
the best one would be 'General!'

~:rolleyes:

Colovion
08-28-2004, 04:47
Here's a tip for any aspiring Game Developers:

1) Don't make any pointless sound bits - "Sir!" will do for all units.

2) Use the saved time from #1 to figure out the real accents for said units and use that for all of the sound bits for that faction. Simpe, concise responses are all that are needed. "Charge!" "Halt!" and so on.

3) Don't use a French guy for the commander of the armies of Carthage.

RE: Barbarian Merc troops

The only thing I can understand about this is that they are mrecenaries and the Romans would have called them Barbarians, so they're Barbarian Merc troops..... but yea I agree that it's really flaky.

Quokka
08-28-2004, 06:43
I like the fact that the unit that you choose calls out its type, ie Peoni Spearmen etc. Lets me know for sure who I am ordering about.
I don't know how many times I have tried to pick a unit in combat and had another unit intermingled get picked instead and then the flank of my shield wall collapses as the wrong unit tries to retreat...

I know the icon gets highlighted down the bottom but sometimes in the thick of it I miss that fact.

Papewaio
08-28-2004, 11:31
I enjoy them all, except for the "were under atttaccckkkk" which is just downright annoying... No Shit genius! I thought those 30000 romans were here to give us flowers? ~:dizzy:

Thats why he is a 'dumb' trooper and you get to be the genius General... what could be worse is you get to play the 1Hp sprite and having the 'Dances with Moonbeams' heir being the general.

Lucius Lucullus
08-28-2004, 17:49
Im kinda annoyed more by the "Orders completed great lord" WTF ? Is this Warcraft and one of my peons have just completed a barrack or what? ~:smoking:

Simovek
08-28-2004, 18:50
Yeah the english voices just suck. I liked the different languages in MTW. Even though they were in a different language eventually you knew what was happening when they said what.

The Orders complete is just queer. I did like how the men respond to the command when they get an order.

Steppe Merc
08-28-2004, 19:11
Is it really that hard to record "Sir" in a couple of languages? I don't need every single dialect, but come on. Romans don't speak English. Carthigianians don't speak English. Gauls don't speak English. Shall I go on? :furious3:

Colovion
08-28-2004, 19:48
No one spoke Enlglish back then (which you know) but I think I'd be able to accept the ROmans speaking English because they are the center of the game - but then again it would make it a much more appealing game to non-English-speakers if all the languages were their native tongue = no english unless you as for it.

A.Saturnus
08-28-2004, 20:18
German peasants from the year 1200 didn´t speak latin. And certainly not with English accent. So MTW is just as inaccurate. Let all of them speak English makes even more sense. I just wish they hadn´t used the silly accents and better speakers. In general confirming orders and give reports is a good thing.

BDC
08-28-2004, 20:53
German peasants from the year 1200 didn´t speak latin. And certainly not with English accent. So MTW is just as inaccurate. Let all of them speak English makes even more sense. I just wish they hadn´t used the silly accents and better speakers. In general confirming orders and give reports is a good thing.
Their leaders may have...

Probably not with an English accent though.

Colovion
08-28-2004, 21:06
Anyway, I think that I wouldn't care if they spoke English if their accents were accurate. It's a good thing to want, but if I'm going bare minimum here then I'll settle for good, accurate accents. I mean if you're going to call it a historical game at least don't make blazing inconsistencies likes this. I don't have a big problem that a certain shield isn't period specific or something that I can ignore, but when my CREESHHIAN ARSSSHERRSSS keep saluting me in such a way I don't know what to think..../

Steppe Merc
08-28-2004, 22:00
Fine. If you really want it English, then yes, it should have good accents (obviously). I can't even place my "BARRRBALIAN MERSHANERIES". Of course it's even sillier that they call themselves Barbarian Mercanaries.