PDA

View Full Version : Moving on the strategy map?

USMCNJ
09-02-2004, 05:01
(q1)Has anyone heard how exactly is this going to work?
my main concern is => (q2)if an army moves through it's neigbors land is that automatic war?
for example.
Lets say i'm playing as faction A.
I'm at war with faction B.
Factions C is bigger and stronger then me.
Factions C declares war on faction D, and wants a quick victory.
Factions C decides that moving through my land would be the quickest way to reach its target.
Faction C doesn't have any ambasedors to ask for my permision.

(q3)does that mean that faction C cannot move?

lets say that it can.
Faction C enters my land.
I know that i will lose if i fight faction B and C.
(q4) can i just let them pass? (give them a warning or something)

Jango Fett
09-02-2004, 08:46
dont worry usually the ai that CA create have the dumbest armies im expecting to see some full velites armies with 1 ballista, so you will be able to kill them...unless faction C has tons more men than u then your going to lose ~:shock:

Stuie
09-02-2004, 13:27
I thought one of the new diplomacy options was a "right of passage" or somesuch.

Ah, from the FAQ (http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessage?topicID=2341.topic):

Q. Can you make your own treaties?

A. You will be able to negotiate specific treaties and other agreements with other powers. This lets factions agree military treaties, trade agreements, trade cities and territory, demand tributes, pay blackmail money, swap information and so forth. Deals don't have to be symmetrical, so you can trade cash for military access. You can also intimidate lesser factions into joining you as protectorates too... maybe it's better sometimes to live on your knees than die horribly!

So I imagine military access must be negotiated prior to entering another's territory.

Sjakihata
09-02-2004, 13:37
q1: By movement points. I imagine a system similar to Heroes of Might and Magic 3, each army has a number of points, and they can travel about.

q2: I think so, yeah.

q3: Yes, untill a letter of passage of been negotiated, or faction C wants Total War.

q4: I don't think so, I think they will need a letter of passage, if you can just give it to them I dont know.

1dread1lahll
09-02-2004, 15:22
Check-out a game called "Spartan", it will be like that, you only war on someone if you attack an army or city...you dont need to buy the game you can test the games demo...from slitherine.

Bob the Insane
09-02-2004, 15:37
Check-out a game called "Spartan", it will be like that, you only war on someone if you attack an army or city...you dont need to buy the game you can test the games demo...from slitherine.

But if that is correct what is the "letter of passage" thing for???

Tamur
09-02-2004, 16:04
The letter of passage is the sign of a treaty with right of passage worked into it. There are lots of different negotiations you can make now (thank heavens, been waiting for a good diplomacy engine in TW since Shogun).

You can basically barter for Right of Passage by offering to attack someone's enemies, or pay them, or make a trade agreement, etc. Then you can move your armies into their territory without provoking a battle. However, if you have no right of passage, I believe that if you move an army into a "cell" that's occupied by another faction, then there will be a battle... no option to say "just passing through!" on a case-by-case basis.

Colovion
09-02-2004, 16:31
Tamur if you're right about that cell thing (I assume you are) then there may be annoyances of you needing to cross a river and the only way to get across is through a ford that an ally is guarding, says you can pass through his lands, but the army won't budge! Well that may be the case, hopefully not.

Tamur
09-02-2004, 17:23
Mmm, it's only speculation but I'm guessing this won't be a problem -- right of passage should allow free access to territories held, whether or not they've got fords/bridges/passes blocked to enemy movement.

Just my guess though.

SpencerH
09-03-2004, 12:21
It'll be interesting to see whether the army composition and experience modifies their speed of movement on the strategic map (which they should).

TexRoadkill
09-03-2004, 23:07
It'll be interesting to see whether the army composition and experience modifies their speed of movement on the strategic map (which they should).

I'd like to see some options like the original Art of War had (anyone remember that game? Probably the first RTS game). In that game you could choose your marching speed on the strategic map and it would be reflected in their fatigue and morale during the battle. That way you could push your guys to quickly flank or guard a chokepoint but they're going to be tired if they have to fight.

Tamur
09-03-2004, 23:34
I remember the Ancient Art of War, a funny little C64 game with a sequel "Ancient Art of War At Sea". I remember it being the best game I'd ever played up to that point, quite laughable now I'm sure ~D

Maedhros
09-04-2004, 22:08
There is a screenshot somewhere that shows marching forces, there was a partially depleted green bar beside the unit moving. I assume that was your guage to show how far you can go.

It'll be nice to build all cavalry fast raiding parties, to wreack havoc and othewise distract the enemy from their real objective.

Steppe Merc
09-04-2004, 22:12
It would be realy interesting that if say I'm the Parthians, and the Romans invade, I could let them take over all my provinces and move my armies (with my king) into friendly Armenia. My kings not dead, so I wouldn't lose would I? Then I could easily take back my lands once the army was dispersed.

Maedhros
09-04-2004, 22:23
Good thought, but how do you pay your troops?

Also, "where" is your treasury.

Do you keep it if you have men under your command, or?

Steppe Merc
09-04-2004, 22:31
Hmm, good point. But the Parthians, along with most semi-nomads were famous for just packing up and leaving in the face of the enemy, then hitting them when the enemy weas exasted. Mabye the kings baggage train could carry enough gold untill you can hit the romans?