PDA

View Full Version : Senate Mission destroys me (spoilers)

nokhor
09-27-2004, 03:48
I was a roman faction with 35,000 in the bank and making about 5k profit a turn. senate asks me to blockade a port (as usual) but as a twist they threaten to have a questor look at my financial irregularities if i fail. as usual, since it doesn't directly benefit me, i disregard the senate mission. after the mission fails, questor fines me 81,000 denari. and i now have -45,000 denari in the bank with restless cities and no way to now give them bread and circuses. caught me by surprise. lol.

Thoros of Myr
09-27-2004, 04:09
OUCH! that's harsh man....

lars573
09-27-2004, 05:11
This is where a money cheat would come in handy. Before you say anything I'm just saying. ~:rolleyes:

Kraellin
09-27-2004, 06:01
lol, that's funny. i had the same mission and refused to do it, but questor turned out to be a friend of mine and i lost nothing. yes, no joke.

K.

Colovion
09-27-2004, 06:04
Ha - that's sweet, shows that it pays to have friends in teh Senate. Right now I have all but 2 of the Senate Postions under my belt. w00t

Spino
09-27-2004, 06:23
Sounds like you paid the fine of the millenium!

Anyway you should post this in the bug report thread, the amount of that fine was simply ridiculous. The game should fine you a certain percentage of your total treasury, not a stupefying sum like that!

Oaty
09-27-2004, 06:50

Anyway you should post this in the bug report thread, the amount of that fine was simply ridiculous. The game should fine you a certain percentage of your total treasury, not a stupefying sum like that!

That all depends. Theres a part in the financial statement that says income from corruption. So if he was bringing in a significant amount of money over the years from corruption the fine may be legit. You can't completely control your heirs but maybe you should assassinate that family member before the mission fails.

Thoros of Myr
09-27-2004, 07:57
Or somehow he get's lost in the wilderness with no support and Guals on all sides :)

Oaty
09-27-2004, 10:42
Or somehow he get's lost in the wilderness with no support and Guals on all sides :)

That idealology is so medieval ~:joker:

TinCow
09-27-2004, 16:47

Actually, I think that's a great sum. Plenty of Roman families were destroyed when the republic/emperor confiscated all of their property. Just because you're one of the big three doesn't mean you shouldn't be subject to the same realities as the rest of the unwashed (or sparkling clean as the case may be) masses.

Doug-Thompson
09-27-2004, 16:52
... as usual, since it doesn't directly benefit me, i disregard the senate mission.

That's the key phrase. A long history of ignoring the Senate is what made them mad.

The Senate is like a girlfriend. You have to do something she wants once in a while. Show them you care.

Blodrast
09-27-2004, 17:03
That's the key phrase. A long history of ignoring the Senate is what made them mad.

The Senate is like a girlfriend. You have to do something she wants once in a while. Show them you care.

ROFL !
are you by any chance talking from experience, Doug ? ~;)
Has anyone noticed if the thingie about you "knowing" the inspector is in any way related to your popularity in the Senate ? i.e., the higher your popularity with the Senate, the more likely it is that you'll "know" the inspector...

Oh, and what happens when the quaestor or whoever they send is an actual member of your family ? Or does that never happen ? What if you hold all positions in the Senate ? ....

Red Harvest
09-27-2004, 17:17
You can also manipulate senate mission selection...

If I'm blockading a port, I can pull out of site range of it when I have no "mission." Next turn, "Please blockade that port."

The senate often insists I attack a settlement that I had just "discovered" with an agent. I've learned not to explore until I have an expeditionary force handy.

Doug-Thompson
09-27-2004, 17:30
ROFL !
are you by any chance talking from experience, Doug ? ~;)

The experience we all share, Blodrast. ~;)

By the way, I've learned to take Senate mission's literally. The Senate ordered me to take a town in Siciliy, which was going to tie down troops I wanted in Greece (since I started as Brutii.) So I took the Carthaginian town -- and massacred the inhabitants and deleted every building I could. Got the "resistance is futile" message, which was an interesting touch. I then re-embarked my army on ships and sailed back to the real war in Greece.

Now, as my posts on the MTW forums show, I've never considered myself a particularly bloodthristy player. I didn't kill prisoners in MTW, for instance. However, I must say that the thousands of denarii gained allowed me to make big improvements in the core of my empire and allowed me to train the troops I needed to conquer better, less isolated provinces. I got my army back, got boodles of cash which gave me a big lead over other factions and satisfied the Senate mission, even though what was left of the town rebelled and went back to the Carthaginians.

Blodrast
09-27-2004, 18:24
got any interesting VnV's for your general as a consequence to that razing ?

Doug-Thompson
09-27-2004, 20:19
got any interesting VnV's for your general as a consequence to that razing ?

I expected to, but didn't.

I'm quite surprised because it was a good-sized town. As I recall, 2,200+ people were killed.