PDA

View Full Version : Coping with chariots

Orvis Tertia
09-30-2004, 16:16
Last night I started fighting against the Britons in earnest and I had my first experiences against enemy chariots. Wow, they are friggin' steamrollers! They charge right through my front line of Hastati and then mow down the Velites behind them.

The heavy war chariots are the biggest problem. Without spearmen (can't build them yet), I've had a hard time trying to contain them, and I've seen my worst near-losses to date when the enemy has one or two units of these things. Has anyone found a good tactic for dealing with these? I've so far had to turn my broken lines of Hastati backward to attack the chariots that punched through them and also engaged my general's heavy cavalry while trying to get my Velites to stand and shower javelins into the enemy chariots. I take a LOT of casualties but have been able to get the job done.

Against the light missile chariots, I discovered that dogs do a surprisingly good job of sending them into disarray. I figured they would run over my dogs with ease, but surprisingly the dogs take few casualties.

ZIM!!
09-30-2004, 17:19
Last night I started fighting against the Britons in earnest and I had my first experiences against enemy chariots. Wow, they are friggin' steamrollers! They charge right through my front line of Hastati and then mow down the Velites behind them.

The heavy war chariots are the biggest problem. Without spearmen (can't build them yet), I've had a hard time trying to contain them, and I've seen my worst near-losses to date when the enemy has one or two units of these things. Has anyone found a good tactic for dealing with these? I've so far had to turn my broken lines of Hastati backward to attack the chariots that punched through them and also engaged my general's heavy cavalry while trying to get my Velites to stand and shower javelins into the enemy chariots. I take a LOT of casualties but have been able to get the job done.

Against the light missile chariots, I discovered that dogs do a surprisingly good job of sending them into disarray. I figured they would run over my dogs with ease, but surprisingly the dogs take few casualties.

Ihave taken out chariots pretty easily with archers

if you see chariots coming for your line try to get the soldiers in loose formation before they hit

fey
09-30-2004, 18:38
Try the standard anti-barbarian tactic: bring plenty of cavalry (equites) and charge from flanks.

Oh, and if the chariots go right through your hastati, you are not ranking them deep enough. Through a two-deep line, sure. Through a five-deep formation, hell no!

Orvis Tertia
09-30-2004, 18:39
Ooh, the loose formation idea is good. Seems like I even saw something similar to that done on one of the Decisive Battles episodes. ~:cheers: