PDA

View Full Version : Any way to see visible areas on campaign map?

econ21
10-02-2004, 15:45
On the campaign map, your armies and cities have a certain area around them in which they can spot enemy armies etc. Is there anyway to reveal this visible radius, so as to stop enemies sneaking into your territory unawares?
Thanks for any advice,
Simon

Sjakihata
10-02-2004, 15:50
two ways basically

1) set up a network of spies and watchtowers
2) use the cheat codes

econ21
10-02-2004, 16:02
Yes, I am using spies for this, but how do you know what your spies can see? I am wondering how far apart they should be spaced from each other.

Kraellin
10-02-2004, 16:23
you shld be able to see a difference in the shading of the campaign map. how far your units and armies can see is shown in a lighter shade than the rest of the map. if you cant, then you may need to adjust some of your video settings or even drivers for your video card, or perhaps just adjust the gamma setting on your monitor.

K.

econ21
10-02-2004, 17:23
Thanks, Kraellin - now I know what I should look for, I'll try again. I'm playing on a (pretty good) laptop and while RTW runs fine, it looks pretty ugly on the battle map (very washed out colours, fuzzy troops etc) unless you zoom in - strangely MTW and especially STW battles looked much better zoomed out. The campaign map's fine though so maybe I'll be able to see the visible areas.

Sjakihata
10-02-2004, 17:38
The dark is unexplored/unknow land, which you cannot see. It works like any other RTS games, Fog of War, shroud etc.

Spies has a much bigger line of sight than armies etc, you can get traits/retinues that can help increase the line of sight.

V'ger
10-02-2004, 23:10
Hi,

One thing to watch out for is that if you build lots of spies you'll have trouble staying out of the red. Each spy is 100 upkeep. Something I didn't know until I had built 20-30 spies and was wonderiing why my military budget had gotten so huge when I hadn't built many troops recently.

Oaty
10-03-2004, 06:35
Borderforts work best and sometimes you'll have to garrison a town militia next to it to see even further.

Something I noticed ifyou sit next to an enemies border fort you can use it.

I always zoom in look for the highest ground and place a border fort there this gives the best site radius for a border fort. Usuall up north is where border forts have problems with all the trees but if you garrison next to it, you will be able to see into the trees