PDA

View Full Version : Romans not aggressive

Samurai Waki
10-03-2004, 21:14
I've been playing as the Brutii for awhile(60-70 years in game) I have conquered a pretty large area, but the other two Roman Factions haven't gained hardly anything! what gives...I'm playing on medium difficulty, and the Julii haven't even pushed the Gauls out of Northern Italy. The Scipii seemed to have taken Sicily and then they all but stopped. I want more aggressive Romans!!!

The Tuffen
10-03-2004, 21:19
don't know why thats happening to you. On my Julii game the scipii had most of north africa and most of the islands in the med. The brutii had taken a lot of greece and some other western cities.

chemchok
10-03-2004, 21:28
When I played on medium diff. as the Jullii the Bruttii stalled out with three extra provinces taken from Greece. The Scippii managed to take ALL of Africa, pushing the Egyptians into the East. I think the beginning of the game is critical as far as the success of the other factions go. After ~40 turns factions are either on the offense or defense, and seem to stay that way...

Indylavi
10-03-2004, 23:45
I've had the same happen to me. I played as the Brutii and the other Romans barely did anything. The Julii actually managed to lose one of their starting Provinces to the Gauls. The next game I played I couldn't keep up with the other two Roman factions. I think it's random.

Soulflame
10-04-2004, 01:00
Maybe a bit random, but there are a few things that influence it.

I do a Scipii campaign on hard/hard. Now the Julii have taken alot of territory from the Gauls (just a tad less then all I've conquered in North Africa and Spain), but the Brutii had an Alliance with the Macedons for a VERY long time, it was broken a few turns ago and finally they are expanding a bit, but the Brutii had 4 regions for a loooong time.
I already had the Marius reforms too, at 236 BC, so the other Romans can build the new units as well and are probably stronger for it.

If you control much of the senate and are popular with it, chances are high that the Senate will agree with you on the policy of most factions. As in: if you ally with the Macedonians, the Senate may change it's policy to 'be friendly to the Macedonians", which could force the Brutii to stop attacking it. At least I think this applies.

So it is random to some extent.

ZIM!!
10-04-2004, 15:16
theyve done ok in my game Scippii have Sicily and are in a pitched battle for north africa they keep losing and gaining ground Brutii have taken all of greece the Balkans the western Black sea area and declared war with Briton that holds most of
Northern Europe and the bad thing is that they sucked me into thier war with the Britons I cannot afford a war with them I want the rich greek city states in anatolia I have most of my forces either in Anatolia or fighting those pesky Iberian Rebels

Arakasi
10-05-2004, 08:12
It seems to be pretty random. Some in the colliseum forum have been posting that the Romans are too powerful. Some have also been saying that the Romans are too weak. As from what I've seen I'm really not sure, since two out of my three games has had me way in the east where I had no idea what was happening in Rome. Just started a game as Carthage and killed the Scipii leader and took their city in Rome on the 3rd or 4th turn. But in my game as the Julii the Scipii and Carthage were fighting over the city to the south of Carthage. And the Brutii were doing okay but not great. They had taken some land in Greece and the Illyrian coast, but not very much.

Ulstan
10-05-2004, 15:20
How well the scipii do depends a lot on whether or not that super diplomat the greeks have down there manages to bribe one of their heirs or not. I've seen it happen a couple times.