PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly A few modding tips

JeromeGrasdyke
10-04-2004, 12:11
I've only just discovered this forum and have to say, I'm impressed at how much headway people are making already. So, here are a few quick-and-basic tips for making mods for Rome, which should tide you over until we can get a more comprehensive guide done:

1) before you start altering the game's loading scripts, which are all the plain ASCII text files starting with "descr_" or "export_descr_" in the game's main 'data' directory, make a backup .... it saves a lot of time later ~:) Note that the game won't run properly in multiplayer with a modified set of scripts - people who have modded Medieval will be familiar with this behaviour. There is a strategy in the works to deal with this, but it's not quite ready for prime-time.

2) when you're altering the scripts, run the game via a shortcut with "-show_err" on the command line when you are testing ... this will enable the game to display errors when you quit the program, so that if you've made an error in a script you can locate it easily; most of the game's script loading code is fairly heavily error-checked.

3) most of the loading scripts have comments at the top of the file which explain something about the format - it's worth reading as much of these as you can, since they will give you some insight into how everything fits together.

4) many entries in the loading scripts make use of 'tags' which refer to entries in other loading scripts; for example, the export_descr_units file, under the "soldier" line, gives a tag for an entry in the descr_model_battle.txt file (which in its turn has a line named "skeleton" which gives one or two tags referring to entries in the descr_skeleton.txt file). This is how the game links data together, to present a unit of men with all their stats, which use a certain model and texture set, which is then animated using a particular hierarchical skeleton and set of animations.

Hopefully that should help some in the great modding quest. If somebody wants to organise a poll on the five most-frequently asked 'modding questions' in the same mold as the one that was recently on the main forum, I'll try and supply a few answers.

Jambo
10-04-2004, 13:07
Cool, thanks for the tips. I really appreciate the fact this game is so moddable. I've just been modding the weather - something I wanted to do so much with MTW - and as a result I have now increased the amount of fog one gets during the blizzard, rain_storm and heavy_fog weather patterns.

You seem, I was always so impressed with the seriously scary fog levels one could get in STW and wanted to replicate this is RTW.

JeromeGrasdyke
10-04-2004, 15:35
You seem, I was always so impressed with the seriously scary fog levels one could get in STW and wanted to replicate this is RTW.

You won't be able to get exactly the same effects, because the fog in Shogun was done in software (together with many other parts of the display). The new RTW engine does the fogging through DirectX, and so it's a bit more limited. As soon as we can afford to do everything in shaders, it'll change again.

Bwian
10-04-2004, 19:11
May I be the first to bid a hearty welcome to the guy whose name appears top of th eprogramming credits for RTW :)

Damn fine game, and equally nice to see a developer contributing on a forum. This is actually, in my experience, a VERY rare thing. Bought the whole lot .... STW, MTW, and had RTW on the day it came out in the UK....

anyway...fawning praise over with ;) ( you DO deserve it though ) and down to some serious modding questions :)

1) With a tool already out to allow us to poke around in the files, it looks like the unit data stuff and the textures are straight-forward enough..but what about the 3D files ? Is there going to be a way to mod them?
2) Can new units be added to increase the number of unit choices available, or ar ethere limits as there were with the MTW ones?
3) Is the campaign map a full 3D object or a 2D image of one?

Thanks in advance...and now back to subduing those pesky Gauks :charge:

Jambo
10-04-2004, 19:15
Hey Jerome,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's obvious the STW weather effects are still superior. Nevertheless, by increasing the values though I have managed to get a little more fog on the battlefield and on a more common occurrence.

One of the other things which i'm interested in modding is the population required to upgrade settlement levels (e.g. 2000, 6000, 12000 and 24000). Some people think the Marian Reforms take place too early and that population grows too fast exponentially, which in turn can mean that triari are only available for a short period. My intention is to make the amount of population required to jump a level a little bit higher to go toe in toe with the increasing population:

e.g. 2000, 6000, 14000, 30000.

Can you help at all with that one? I've looked all over the data folder, but alas can't find anything...

Cheers

Jamie

Red Harvest
10-04-2004, 19:56
I also miss the STW fog aesthetics. But it sure was tough to fight in it! Seems like I was always facing tons of cav and cav archers when I got fog. Sound was very important when fighting in the fog...

Marshal Murat
10-04-2004, 22:28
I would personally enjoy a tool for the "new unit" creation. I just want to create some awsome Night Raider Cavalry, and scare the freak out of the enemy. :dizzy2: ~:eek:

hoggy
10-05-2004, 11:37
Hi Jerome, Could you give us an idea of what kind of modding support CA are planning? Really just an outline ie. are they going to release a modding guide or will there be a set of tools available too?

I'm interested in creating a Japanese/fantasy mod but it would require model editing ability (rather than simple texture adjusting). It would be good to know in advance if there is going to be model extraction or editing tools so we can plan or discard certain ideas. Hope you can help, many thanks - hoggy

:bow:

Duke John
10-05-2004, 11:59
Thank you very much for the offer, JeromeGrasdyke :bow:

Everybody, if you have a modding question then post them here. Once we have enough reasonable questions I will make a poll so that we can decide whitch 5 question are send to Jerome.

My questions:
Will we be able to make our own campaign maps, ie only England or even Middle Earth?
Will we be able to import our own models, not just textures?
For me those are the most important since if we're not able to do those things alot of mod ideas can be thrown into the wastebasket.

Cheers,
Duke John

Sid_Quibley
10-05-2004, 13:01
My main question is can we mod individual unit speeds and if so how.

Myrddraal
10-05-2004, 14:51
I second DJ's questions. We know we can edit skins and unit stats, but can we change the campmap and 3D models. What about the buildings in battle? Can we edit those as a 3D model?

Duke John
10-05-2004, 18:28
To keep things clear, please post your modding questions in this thread. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37359)

Jagger
10-05-2004, 19:03
I was wondering how to mod the cavalry turn/wheel factor. To me, it seems cavalry can turn on a time and reverse/change direction. Infantry seems to rotate formation in a reasonable manner. I just not happy with cavalry formation turns.

Is there anyway to mod the turn rate of cavalry?

Aymar de Bois Mauri
10-06-2004, 17:33
First of all, a great salutation to JeromeGrasdyke for offering us his feedback. :bow:

Thank you very much for the offer, JeromeGrasdyke :bow:

Everybody, if you have a modding question then post them here. Once we have enough reasonable questions I will make a poll so that we can decide whitch 5 question are send to Jerome.

My questions:
Will we be able to make our own campaign maps, ie only England or even Middle Earth?
Will we be able to import our own models, not just textures?
For me those are the most important since if we're not able to do those things alot of mod ideas can be thrown into the wastebasket.

Cheers,
Duke John
Couldn't have said it better. For us at the EB (Europa Barbarorum) thread, those are the two of the most important questions to be asked. In addiction to those:

Can unit stats be edited one by one, regarding walking, running, charging speed, defense, attack, bonuses against cav, etc? I don't mean by category (light cav, heavy cav, etc...), but by unit.

Can new unit animations be imported into RTW? If no, is there any way to change existing ones?

Can events (like Marian Reforms) be modded or altered in any way?

Thank you.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
10-06-2004, 17:37
To keep things clear, please post your modding questions in this thread. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37359)
Sorry, DJ. I didn't saw your message before posting. :no: