PDA

View Full Version : forts: how they are used, and what they are for?

JR-
10-04-2004, 12:56
in my Julii campaign i have come across a rather bizarre little fort in central Spain, and having just read this post: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=36871
it is apparently possible to deploy a fort in Greece?

what are these forts?
how do you obtain them?
can you put them anywhere on the map?
do you find them useful?

cheers

PeegeeTips

Bob the Insane
10-04-2004, 13:06
Forts can only be built by general units or armies containing a general..

When that army is on a normal map square and you have selected it you should see the recruit and build options are available (like when you select a city)..

The recruit is for mercenaries (love this functionality) and the build is for forts and watch towers... Building a fort costs 500d and effectively blocks that square for enemy troops, they are forced to fight to get past you..

Finally they are temporary and will disappear from the map if left unmanned...

In theory anyway, I have not seen the AI biuild a fort or attack one of mine in the SP game so far...

JR-
10-04-2004, 13:41
thankyou, i can certainly see a use for them.

Sjakihata
10-04-2004, 13:45
It is only family members that can build forts / watchtowers.

The_Emperor
10-04-2004, 13:55
Use them for blocking key chokepoints on the map, that way the enemy have a real job to pass.

Sadly I didn't build any myself during my Julii campaign because I couldn't be bothered and wound up fighting the Gauls at my Walls too many times.

Anyways in my Greek campaign I am expecting an assault on one. ~D

Ja'chyra
10-04-2004, 14:47
As has been said only armies with generals can build forts and historically Roman armies used to build one at the end of each days march that didn't end in a permanently fortified location.

I use them in the game to block mountain passes and usually only lightly man them. I have never seen the AI attack one but someone else in another thread has, you can also take over enemy forts if they leave them empty.

Leet Eriksson
10-04-2004, 14:57
When in battle while attacking a fort or defending one, they look exactly like a village defended by a wooden palisade, except the fort is square, has tents, towers that don't attack and a fort center. Cavalry + Fort and Screening Force and you have a very powerful defensive point.

crazyviking03
10-04-2004, 15:02
I am using forts extensively in my Selucid campaign. I have totaly fortified my northern borders, blocking all passes out of Parthia, Armenia, and Pontus. (i am allied with pontus, but just in case!) After securing Susa from the Parthians, I have effectively closed all borders and can now focus all my military might on crushing those damn Egyptians!