PDA

View Full Version : Britons Chariots, how do i beat em?

TN[ KrAzY!
10-06-2004, 01:52
i was wondering if anyone can help me, im playing as the julii and ive been at war with the britons for about 10 years now, the war is going well for me but every battle that i encounter their bloody chariots i suffer alot more than usual casualties, i cant seem to stop em, the only thing ive come up with is driving them off with my Cavalry, this is annoying cos it means my cav miss out on most of the battle and the chariots live to trouble me again! any suggestions?

chemchok
10-06-2004, 01:59
Triari will decimate them, skirmishers will do a good amount of damage too. The trick is getting either unit to be able to engage light chariots without them running away.

AngryGerbil
10-06-2004, 02:37
They are annoying, no doubt.

I too played Julii and warred against the British. What I did was either bring enough light cavalry to chase them around all day and tie them up, or try to pin them with Auxilia (easier said than done) and flank 'em with...well, whatever you got!

Another option is to bring a good number of archers. Let the chariots fire on your troops, suck up the losses, but fire back with massive amounts of arrows from your archers. You will have to accept some losses, but if you have the archer supremacy, you will eventually take them out. This is also easier said than done, unfortunately.

Another option is to ignore them and smash the rest of the British army, then give chase to the remaining chariots with whatever you want.

Haven't tried dogs on them yet though....maybe that'd do it? Dunno.

Indylavi
10-06-2004, 05:47
I found the onager to be a great anti-chariot weapon. Same for elephants. Set a couple of them on fire and they usually run. As others have said just use any spearmen you have to pin them down. Then rush them with anything. Their attack is great but they have almost no defense at all and once they are stopped they drop like files

Orvis Tertia
10-06-2004, 07:13
I've found dogs work great against missile chariots. They really get sent into disarray by a pack of dogs.

For the heavy chariots, I faced them before I could build spearmen, and it was tough. You need to get them pinned down, but you will take many casualties. Someone suggested that you put your troops into loose formation to absorb the charge without major casualties, but I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like a good idea, though.

Reg
10-06-2004, 20:46
I sent my cavalry after them a few times to mixed results. Sometimes the cavalry succeeded in tearing them apart, however, on the latest occasion my cav got beat up while a few chariots survived.

Loose formation is fine as long as there aren't other units around to take advantage. Archers do a good job on them - especially if you catch them in the rear. Skirmishers should in theory beat them up if only they could ever catch 'em.

TN[ KrAzY!
10-06-2004, 23:19
ok guys thanks, i`ll try some of these out, however the trarii option is out as im past that technology level, i can only train legionary and preatorian cohorts.