PDA

View Full Version : Trick / Bug: Retrain to Overstrength (reproduceable)

Longasc
10-06-2004, 21:13
Imagine you have some Cavalry at

44/54 and 34/54 after a battle.

Retrain. Then merge the two units after you gave the retrain command.

You will get a 74/54 Cav unit. -> +10 and + 20 for the two units you initially started retraining.

This works not always, but I often end up with such "overstrength" units

Medieval Assassin
10-06-2004, 21:45
Sounds like a good way to crash the game...

Soulflame
10-06-2004, 22:53
Heh, I'd like to add the annoying side of this bug too:

If you are besieged, and you try to retrain a few units which have lost a couple of men, then get attacked and loose a few more men.. the turn after the siege is over(assuming you survived the assault ~;p), your units have retrained, but not to full strength! They miss the amount they lost in the recent battle. While if you recall the retrain just after the siege, and click retrain again... they WILL get full strength the turn after.

Oaty
10-06-2004, 23:18
That is not a bug but losses due to attrition.

Soulflame
10-06-2004, 23:50
No that's not what I mean. Suppose an army sieges your army on turn 1. At your turn 1, you get a message you are sieged. You wait. they do nothing but build siege equipment on their turn 2. At your turn 2, you have lost 5 men from all your units (theorectical). You select to retrain them all. On their turn 3, they attack you. You loose another 5 men per unit (hypothetical). You win, so on your turn 3 you can build and such again. Note that all your units are still in your retrain queue (since you put the there at your turn 2). They do nothing on their turn 4. At your turn 4, your units have retrained, but they miss 5 men per unit: the losses you took from the siege.

Now suppose at your turn 3 (so after the siege is lifted), you remove all your units from the retrain queue. Then select them all for retraining again. Now at your turn 4 they DO have full unit stacks.

Apparantly the game remembers the state in which the units were when you pressed retrain the first time, so when you have losses afterwards, it only knows to replenish the units that it was supposed to replace the first time.

I just rethought and it may not be a bug; since it probably costs more to retrain the whole unit after the siege, so the game should not alter it after you lost the men in the siege, but a reminder or something would be helpfull... oh well...

Psyco
10-07-2004, 05:43
Oh.... thats how that happened. I have a 108 man unit of light chariots (regular size is 72) and was *very* confused (I was about to post a topic on it :) ).