PDA

View Full Version : Unit size and pathing in the cities...

Slaists
10-06-2004, 21:21
Is it only me or is it the case that CA designed the city pathing to be usable only by the default unit size setting? I seem to have fewer pathing problems in cities (on the walls as well) if I play on the default setting (rather than large/huge).

Krusader
10-06-2004, 21:29
I've only had problems with phalanx units in cities. Cavalry goes fine, and normal infantry however occasionally run out the gates and in again when I order them to go to a location some blocks away.

Boudicca
10-07-2004, 09:22
For the war chariots of the British, city battles are devastating. They usually run in a very widespread formation, totally lose their way and get completely split up and thus out of control.

Another problem I had is in the use of siege towers, I ve got the very strong impression that these engines were only created to lead one unit after another up onto the walls. When I place serveral units within, I usually end up having them split up and coming out of the tower rather slowly and in complete disorder.

Slaists
10-07-2004, 15:19
my suspicion is even stronger that the game was designed to run at default unit size: not larger. non-scalable bridges (units larger than default have high casualties just from crossing bridges due to falling off into rivers and drowning), city streets (plazas) and walls simply cannot host larger unit sizes in any adequate formation.

also, units on larger than the default size, get twisted doing simplest turns and sometimes remain that way even into combat...

on another note, it seems they have discarded the MTW feature which had larger unit sizes have higher cost and upkeep. now, it's all fixed (dumbed down) to the default size (a unit of hastati will cost you the same on the default and very huge setting). similarly, it seems, that also the retraining cost now is fixed regardless of how many soldiers you need to recruit to fill up the unit... IMHO, the MTW system made more sense in this case.

Oaty
10-07-2004, 19:16
my suspicion is even stronger that the game was designed to run at default unit size: not larger. non-scalable bridges (units larger than default have high casualties just from crossing bridges due to falling off into rivers and drowning), city streets (plazas) and walls simply cannot host larger unit sizes in any adequate formation.

also, units on larger than the default size, get twisted doing simplest turns and sometimes remain that way even into combat...

on another note, it seems they have discarded the MTW feature which had larger unit sizes have higher cost and upkeep. now, it's all fixed (dumbed down) to the default size (a unit of hastati will cost you the same on the default and very huge setting). similarly, it seems, that also the retraining cost now is fixed regardless of how many soldiers you need to recruit to fill up the unit... IMHO, the MTW system made more sense in this case.

I'm against you there. To me I think it was excellent to have huge units the same price as small ones. This way I only have to wait 1 year for that unit instead of pumping out units every other year. Plus this way probably keeps the game more balanced for the poor A.I.