PDA

View Full Version : AI Bug: Troops under Archery Fire at the Gates

Cennyan
10-06-2004, 23:55
I saw this happen the other night so of course I took advantage of it...ended up happening a couple more times after the first, but I tried to exploit it as little as possible...

The originally strategy was to fill the outside of the city with archers and toss a battering ram at the door. When you get the door down 20% or so, the cities troops (depending on how many are there) will rush towards the gate to stop the oncoming attack. My original strat was to weaken the gate to 90% while pelting any troops that would run up, then when I had an opening free from enemy troops, I would knock down the last 10% of the gate and move my Hoplites in (They move so slowly, a direct assault would have had many more casualities). What ended up happening next blew me away.

I got the gate down to about 70% and the enemy general came riding up towards the gate with his cavalry. I assumed that he'd turn tail as soon as he got hit with some flaming arrows. At 90% I moved my ram back and away from the gate, the enemy general literally just stood there right in front of the gates waiting for the rush while 5 troops of archers pelted him down to nothing. He didn't even try to move or make a break for it untill he was down to himself and 1 other horseman in his troop, of course by this time, it's too late to run.

It happened two more times over the next day or so, and I haven't really tried it since I got cavalry. I was playing the Greeks and this happened vs the Macedonian's and again while fighting the scippii.

Quietus
10-07-2004, 01:15
I do this myself. However, I use just one archer and the AI automatically leaves when you start hitting them. The only problem is when you actually start to enter. The unit speed suddenly becomes MTW-ish. My cavalry is admiring the Barbarian gardens and smelling flowers while the AI runs at full throttle. ~:eek:

chemchok
10-07-2004, 01:24
I find that the best way to make an entrance is to unleash some wardogs first. They'll usually tie up the enemy infantry inside the walls enough so that your troops can reassemble on the other side and then start fighting.

bigredlemon
10-07-2004, 07:25
Seems like you can't rush in the gates... they could only brisk walk at best, or regular march at normal.