PDA

View Full Version : Tips or bugs? Mercenary travel and recruit queue

afrit
10-07-2004, 02:04
I'm sure these have been noted before, but I'd like to know if you think of them as features or bugs.

Mercenary travel: I found that I could sometimes send reinforcements to a garrison or army even if my general cannot reach them in one turn. Just move the general as far along as possible. Then buy some mercs. They start at full movement points. Then send them over to the destination.

If you hire them at the beginnig of the general's travel, they won't go that far.

Although this is a tip, I think more of it as a bug. The mercs should start with the same percentage of movement as the general's when he hired them.

Recruitment queue and population: every unit you add to the queue decreases the population IMMEDIATELY, not when it is really trained. I use this to temporarily control newly acquired cities by filling all the queue with peasants. This drops the population enough for loyalty to get out of the red zone until reinforecemnts arrive. Then I cancel the peasants from the queue and retrieve the money.

I tend to think of this as a feature: you are distracting people by promising to hire them into your army, and therefore you remove them from the restive population (kind of like the US paying Iraqi fighters to enroll in the new army, although they may never fight!).

Afrit

Red Harvest
10-07-2004, 03:05
Yes, I've noticed the effect. I agree to some extent, but we are not forced to keep armies grouped, so that is why it is done that way (I assume.) I often send supporting infantry back to the town after a battle, so that I can make a 2nd strike with cav, and still get everyone home in time for dinner.

afrit
10-07-2004, 10:37
Another tip/bug: if you want to check on the progress of another faction and which settlements they captured, just approach them with a diplomat and demand "give region". They'll gladly let you know which ones they hold! Then cancel the request.

I think they should only offer those you have "explored" before or can currently see. Otherwise you are essentially getting map info for free (we all have the paper copy map from the game box!).

Afrit

Dead Moroz
10-07-2004, 11:45
I think they should only offer those you have "explored" before or can currently see.
Totally agreed. ~;)