PDA

View Full Version : Unit balancing

Arakasi
10-07-2004, 05:03
Well I would post in the colliseum if I could, but here is the place that it will have to be because of the junior patron. What I'd like to comment on is the several threads in that forum that talk about balancing of units, mainly cavalry, archers and elephants.

Red Harvest has repeatedly posted that those units are overpowered. I've not noticed it, but I've been using the 0.5 killing speed mod. If you've not tried it RH you should use it. Also I did a test the other day with one unit of cataphracts which I had modified to 90 attack and 95 charge and I had it will absolutely full morale, weapon, and defence. I then charged a Spartan Hoplite who also had full morale and full weapon/defence. I charged over and over again, and some from angles and sometimes from behind and before they got set and I still got slaughtered, even though my units attack was over 70 in the pregame screen. Maybe the overpowering more has to do with the kill rate than the stats? But I've not seen cav be as overpowered as he says.

Elephants I agree are very strong, but then again I've not used them much. I have used archers quite a lot, not so much the Cretans but often the Scythians, including then nobles who have about the same missile attack. They've not done anywhere near the damage I've seen reported. Reading the threads over there it seems like I'm reading about people playing two different games. Anyways just my thoughts on the subject.

Arakasi
10-07-2004, 06:32
As per the discussion in the Spears, pikes and rank bonuses thread in the Colliseum forum, I just did a test with Cretan Archers against Armored Hoplites. I got numbers pretty much between Morindins and Red Harvests. My one unit of Cretan Archers used 70% of their ammunition and killed 42 out of 81 hoplites. This is with an unmodded game as well, since I had to reinstall windows last night and RTW today.

bmolsson
10-07-2004, 06:57
As I understand with all missile units, there is a portion of "random" in if a arrow hit or not. This would mean that "luck" do have something to do with the outcome. Just an idea....

Arakasi
10-07-2004, 07:32
I tried it a couple times over. The kills were still about the same. A cretan archer with 3/4 of his arrows would kill just over half of the armored hoplites. Damn I wish I could post in those threads to chime in with the numbers that I've gotten. Or at least get the discussion to come over here. All the serious RTW discussion goes on in that forum. Maybe I'll try my charging method with cataphracts again with the huge attacks so I can see if it is the kill rate that is changing things.

Thrudvang
10-07-2004, 07:59
Chariots are pretty overpowered I think too. They just mow over infantry like a mower on grass, it's crazy. What really sucks is when they panic, then they just mow over all your guys and you cant stop them.

tombom
10-07-2004, 09:29
Chariots are pretty overpowered I think too. They just mow over infantry like a mower on grass, it's crazy. What really sucks is when they panic, then they just mow over all your guys and you cant stop them.
The chariots don't seem to harm the enemy when amok. They just run around in their units and... nobody dies.

And bmolsson, do I know you from languish?