PDA

View Full Version : how do you lay an ambush

albo g
10-07-2004, 15:54
I heard that can attack an enemy by suprise so they cant retreatand dont evenknow im there.
can you do that and if yes how

Noong
10-07-2004, 16:18
To ambush move an army to some woodland on the campaign map. The soldier will crouch down and say something like "Ready to ambush". Then you just wait for an enemy army to move nearby him. Good chance that your ambush will be successful and you'll be fighting.

I have done it once and I thought it was a cool new feature. You get to set up your units all around the enemy as their units are marching in a single column. You can place your units really close to the enemy too, well within archer range. The ambushed army must go in with a penalty to morale too I think because it didn't take much to rout them.

The Hun
10-07-2004, 16:42
Once you do this are you obliged to carry out the ambush?

albo g
10-07-2004, 17:50
thats cool Thx for ur help

Noong
10-07-2004, 18:17
Once you do this are you obliged to carry out the ambush?

I can't remember if there was a withdraw option at the pre-fight window. I assume there was because you are the attacker.

bigredlemon
10-08-2004, 02:24
I remeber when i attacked through the forrest (never came out to the open area,) they didn't even see me until I had charged them. THey were literally just standing there oblivious to what was happening.

albo g
10-08-2004, 11:03
I put a army on a forest and it said ready to ambush, after 2 terms it said that my forces are being attacked by the gauls i could not retreat so i choose to fight the battle myself. I only had 2 units 1 skirmish and the general, the skirmishers were hiding in the woods but the genral could not hide so i left him out in the field. the gauls were marching and they did not notic my general even though he was in the open and clear to see. they were marching towards my skirmishers that were hiding i started to move my general only a bit and then they noticed him and attacked.

if this was an ambush why cant i hide my general and how dumb do the gauls hav to be not to notice an enemy thats standing only a few metres away.

Zatoichi
10-08-2004, 12:35
If the enemy attacked you, it means that your ambush must have failed I guess - otherwise you'd have been able to set up with the enemy arranged in a column (unless I'm totally misunderstanding you!)

I had a similar thing happen to me - my army was set for an ambush, but the Carthaginian army attacked me - it said my attempt at an ambush failed, so I just had to do a regular attack instead... I guess my commander forget to tell everyone to walk on tip-toes...

albo g
10-08-2004, 17:59
Well it did not say anything about that my ambush failed it just said that i was being attacked like when they normally attack you.
A failed ambush happened to once too it said that my ambuish failed and the enemy has enough time to prepare for the battle.

When you ambush a army do you have a right click to attack the nearby enemy like normal or does the scroll come itself and tell you that you can ambush

Zatoichi
10-08-2004, 20:45
Oh OK - I think that if an enemy has a spy or a general with good eyesight nearby or whatever, they can discover your army before you even get to ambush - so there's 3 possible outcomes:
1: the enemy army comes along already knowing you're there and attacks you.
2: the enemy army comes along, you try to ambush it, and fail, so you then get to attack it as a normal attack.
3: the enemy comes along and your army succeeds it's ambush - you get to attack them in their 'unready' column formation,

All the above happens without you clicking anything - all you do is go into the 'ready to ambush' pose if you end your movement in the appropriate terrain - all the above is worked out automatically when an enemy army moves into your 'sphere of influence'.

At least - that's how I think it works! If anyone has any extra info, feel free to chip in. (I mean, what do I know, I've only had the game a week! Ah, sleep, such a fond memory...)

albo g
10-08-2004, 21:31
Thx for the help everyone.
I keep on trying and see what come out ~:)