PDA

View Full Version : Best RTW moments! Share yours.

King Azzole
10-08-2004, 17:03
I know we all complain and get angry at the bugs, and thats ok. But lets also share some of our better moments in this awsome game.

My personal favorite was when i was assaulting an egyptian town as the greeks, I had 2 units of creeessshian aaaahchars. I set them on fire at will, and the first volley nailed the enemy general. I was lmao! Good stuff.

The_Emperor
10-08-2004, 17:10
Sieging the Greek Capital.

My Ballistae open fire on the unit of Spartan hoplites on the walls, the enemy captain who I didn't realise was in that unit, gets impaled and launched backwards off the wall!

I laughed my head off at that one! ~D

Orvis Tertia
10-08-2004, 17:30
I can't remember specifics, but I have had a few battles where I was drastically outnumbered by barbarians and I managed to pull out a victory. It was sometimes very tough, which made it gratifying.

Tamur
10-08-2004, 17:38
I just started a campaign as the Carthaginians on V. Hard. Very early (in 268) the Spanish sent down two 8-unit armies at Corduba. One I was able to block with my diplomat (at a ford) so they couldn't reach the town, but the other got through.

I had one unit of Balearic slingers, one of skirmishers, my general, and town watch. They had four units of skirmishers, two of Iberian infantry, and two of round-shield cavalry (one of whom was the general) -- and two battering rams, of course.

I inflicted light casualties as the rams advanced with the slingers, but the walls came down in short order. Hordes of Spanish poured through the gate and the hole in the wall. My skirmishers and slingers were caught against the walls near the gate and slaughtered. I retreated to the town square at double-march and prepared to die.

Their general marched behind all the infantry and skirmishers on the way to the town square, no suicidal charges unfortunately. They got to the town square and threw everything at my poor little unit of town militia. In a few seconds his general commited to the battle, and I charged my general into the melee, but to little effect. I put my head in my hands, and waited for the inevitable end of the battle.

The dead-general cutscene pops up... oh great. Wait, wait, did he just say the Spanish general is dead?! Suddenly the entire Spanish army flips out and starts running for my gate! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!! ~:cheers:

Pure luck, I tell you.

Soulflame
10-08-2004, 17:53
My best moment so far was the Battle for Corinth at the start of my Greek campaign.
I had 1 unit of Rhodian Slingers, 2 of Creeeesshhian Archers, 2 mercernary hoplites, about 5 hoplites, 2 peltasts and 4 militia Cavalry I think (could have been greek cavalry).
The bad thing was that the enemy (Macedonians) had 5 units of Light Lancers, and the general as cavalry. They had the same number of hoplites and 1 unit of archers, no peltasts.
I needed to kill that opponent cavalry, so I devised several small plans. I put my archers in front.. and when the lancers were close, moved them behind my hoplites. That unit of lancers was killed half and then fled. Next 2 enemy lancers moved past one of my flanks (the right actually), trying to turn into the back of my hoplites and peltasts that were there. I had anticipated this and wuickly wheeled my slingers around. The peltasts were send in melee to hold the lancers there. One unit of Creshian archers also launched a few volleys there. Those 2 lancer groups were routing too (although my peltasts fled too). About now the main body of the hoplites reached eachother and it was an aggrevating attrition fight, as both sides were almost equal (don't know if they had any upgrades, I had weapons bronze only). Their general and last lancer group each tried to flank a side.. unfortunately, with the peltast gone, the cavalry ran straight through to my slingers. I send in my general and hoped it worked. It did, I killed the enemy general and that group was routing. Unfortunately, from the other side, the lancers had run straight past all the exposed backs of my hoplites, right into my general. My general unit was almost wiped out by that first clash, and my general fell. I deperately send in one of my remaining militia cavalry as a shock and that broke them. When I looked around, most of the earlier routed lancers were fighting my cavalry and kept hit-and running and then routing again, only to come back again.
I figured the only way to end this was to win the hoplites war (which was still going strong). So I sent some cavalry in their back and they routed. Only to have my cavalry be hit by the once again rallied lancers. Lucky for me, they crashed through my cavalry, into my hoplites, and that was the end of those last lancers.
The Macedonians fled the field.

Tally;
800 of my 1100 men killed
1100 of their 1400 men died.

The remaining enemy army was more then happy to return to the fields after a little nudge by my diplomat. And Corinth was mine.
This was a battle in which tactics played a large role, instead of the normal: I have better/more troops and I just win.

Edit: Another nice battle was 8 units of town watches + silly general (no command) vs a gladiator rebellion of 4 mirmidillo warriors.. They just couldn't kill enough ~;p

Lemur
10-08-2004, 18:04
The glorious Carthiginian army had just conquered Alexandria, and were feeling pretty good about themselves. Then they noticed a huge force of angry Egyptians massing for a counter-attack. How to hold the city and defend, without allowing the Egyptians to lay siege? We needed to delay for as long as possible.

I put four units of Libyan Spearmen (cheap phalanx-types) some mercenary skirmishers and a good general on a bridge, and waited for the onslaught. If I could just slow them down ...

They attacked. My first bridge defense in RTW. Libyans, defend the bridge! Aaah! They're shooting arrows. Oh, okay, they're not killing us ... much. Stand your ground! Aaaah! They're sending in their spearmen. Stand firm! Hold the line!

Okay, this isn't so bad, we're hanging on, and our javelins are taking a much higher toll than their arrows, this might work ...

OMFG, the enemy prince got impatient and charged his chariots through his own men to get at us. He just knocked half his own force into the river, and got himself slaughtered when he reached my massed phalanxes. He destroyed his own infantry, and now all I have to do is send my general's cavalry to mop up their demoralized archers.

Not only have we stopped the filthy Egyptian army, we've annihilated them! And all because the poncy, powdered prince of Egypt couldn't stand the wait! Victory! Carthage shall rule the world!

Beirut
10-08-2004, 18:23
Finding out that I could still whoop the French. I mean, the Gauls. ~D

Hail Britania andst thou heavy chariots! :charge:

fastspawn
10-08-2004, 18:24
i beat down the brutii army till they were left wift 2 units of principis.

I was quite beat down too, so i used the units i didn't use at all throughtout the entire campaign (I was transporting them for migration purposes)... ROMAN PEASANTS.

8 groups sorrounded the principis thanks to some maneuvering using some horsemen, and proceeded to close ranks upon the principii. Highly gratifying seeing the pride of the brutii being slaughtered by peasant hordes. (I think being outnumbered, outflanked, dead general and all that tends to depress them a bit)

The Marcher Lord
10-08-2004, 19:34
Capturing London with the Julii. There were two huge British units in and around London making up about 2000 troops. I was 1000 with more artillery and archers and very few infantry/cavalry. I expected to be slaughtered and decided the best ploy would be to place my men on the south side of the river Thames and see if they would attack over the bridge. To my amazement this is what they did. My six archer units, 2 onagers and 2 ballistas could not believe it either and I set them all to use fire. The Brits calmly lined up in range on the other side of the bridge with three chariot units racing around trying to scare us. The Brits let up a war cry and I let fly with everything I had. The next ten minutes were amazing - the Brits were completely fried and panicking, there were whole lines of burnt celts on the battlefield, chariots exploded into the air as they were hit by flaming onager ammo. They started to rout and I only had to send a couple of units across the bridge to mop up for a heroic victory. The smoking battlefield was an awesome sight to behold and easily the most amazing thing I have seen yet.