PDA

View Full Version : The Realism Mod 1.0. Well worth it.

Morindin
10-11-2004, 02:18
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11231&st=0

Check it out, its really very good. Fixes a lot of the unbalances, adds new units, removes lots of units, etc etc, AI much harder now.

All the info is in the thread.

ShadesPanther
10-11-2004, 13:43
It is the good but the only thing I dislike is the attack rate. It just doesnt look right

ShadesWolf
10-11-2004, 21:23
I have installe dth mod and will let you know when I have tried it, prob in about a month ~;)

Boudicca
10-12-2004, 08:28
I´ve been testing the realsim mod yesterday for about 10 h...and it all worked out fine on my PC.

- In TW - Center it was critizied that unit movement was not synchronous any more, meaning that due to reducing the movemet rate the legs of the units seemed to move rather differently then the upper body. That is well recognizable in the game, sometimes unit movement looks somewhat funny, but that in fact didn´t disturb me

- Cavallary is now significantly weaker. Although a front attack with my Roman Cavalary into a Hoplite formation still succeeded, the cavalary losses around doubled from the unmodded version.

- Killing units has become slower, allowing a General more time to take turns in battle. The problem, which occured to me due to that, is that the battle timer suddenly only offers a short time for an entire battle, as it takes longer to break formations now.

- The AI is a lot harder than in the unmodded version. I really had my share of losing in fighting the Ptolemaions playing the Brutii (now playable instead of egypt, but using the same units).

I didn´t recognize any bugs and could well use the mod with my old savegames, only that the set of units available had been altered in the way the mod announced...

So, have a lot of fun with it...

Akka
10-12-2004, 10:21
How could they upgrade the AI ?
I'm interested in getting an upgraded AI, but for now not the rest. Have they improved the AI itself, or is it just bonuses to units and money ?

Chris701
10-12-2004, 18:38
Ditto Akka. IMO the AI isn't very challenging, and playing on hard or very hard only increases the strength of the enemy units. Its not like the computer is stupid, but it just never kicks my ass when its a fair fight, which is what usually happens when I play online.

Are you sure that it actually improves the AI, or is it doing something else? I for one would also like to see an improved AI mod.

David
10-12-2004, 22:45
Does anyone know how to change/remove the time limit in this mod? Tilin doesnt work.

Morindin
10-13-2004, 01:04
Ditto Akka. IMO the AI isn't very challenging, and playing on hard or very hard only increases the strength of the enemy units. Its not like the computer is stupid, but it just never kicks my ass when its a fair fight, which is what usually happens when I play online.

Are you sure that it actually improves the AI, or is it doing something else? I for one would also like to see an improved AI mod.

.Spartin on the TWcenter forums has tweaked the AI in the strat_template.txt file (I think) to seperate the "chaff from the wheat" settings and given all the AI factions better strategies.

Also they have played around with some of the starting conditions to give certian factions a better chance (such as carthage).

The battle still AI sucks, but the strategic AI is much better. They also bribe your cities a lot now too.

BobTheTerrible
10-13-2004, 02:26
Wait a minute... Morindin, you're saying that the game's battle AI is open code? If so, why isnt everyone modding it!? I'd like to try my shot at making AI... although it would comsume endless hours of my life...

oblivious maximus
10-13-2004, 02:31
Does anyone know how to change/remove the time limit in this mod? Tilin doesnt work.

works like a charm for me, sure you are using it right? what exactly are you doing?

khelvan
10-13-2004, 05:20
The game's battle AI is NOT open code. Spartan has not actually changed the AI itself. Each faction has two AI attributes assigned to it. Such as "sailor ghengis." Each attribute adds certain hard-coded characteristics to the AI behavior. Spartan has merely toyed with having factions use various AI attributes until he has found the ones that work best, and which don't really work.

So far, there is no way to actually tweak the AI itself.

David
10-13-2004, 09:37
works like a charm for me, sure you are using it right? what exactly are you doing?

Just drag the save in the window and then time limit off, but i'll give it another try.

Encaitar
10-13-2004, 09:52
It's the Strategic AI settings that have been altered in this mod, not Battle AI.