PDA

View Full Version : How long do "wonder" effects last?

RedKnight
10-12-2004, 15:24
Hi folks,

I believe I've seen in some messages, that the effects of Wonders (like Status of Zeus and Lighthouse of Rhodes) only last a fixed number of turns. Is this true for all Wonders? Or am I confused? Or...?

Thanks! ~:cheers:

Basileus
10-12-2004, 15:27
I dont think they only last a few turns, the colussus has been working for quite a while now in my campaign.

foop
10-12-2004, 15:32
As I understand it, the effects are supposed to be permanent.

However, people have been reporting a bug where the effects tail off in the years after you capture a wonder. I've also seen people saying that the effects of the wonder return if you lose and recapture that city or (oddly) capture another city with a wonder in it.

See, for example, bugs 48 and 78 in the "Patch requests" thread on the .com forums.

Dorkus
10-12-2004, 15:55
only zeus is bugged, afaik. it's supposed to grant permanent 20% order bonus but instead does nothing.

All the wonders grant a temporary 20% wonder bonus that fades away in 4 rounds.

I'm sure artemis, pyramids, and mausoleum are working all right (ie permanently). And casually, I've noticed trade inc drop off significantly after losing rhodes -- 20 turns after taking it. (Let it rebel to test it; though a perfect test would have you losing it mid-round)

RedKnight
10-12-2004, 16:20
Perhaps that's where my confusion comes from, Dorkus - when you say they have a temporary 20% bonus for 4 turns, this is on top of their regularly advertised bonus, right? (they still keep their stated bonus after the 2 years)

Dorkus
10-12-2004, 16:27
Perhaps that's where my confusion comes from, Dorkus - when you say they have a temporary 20% bonus for 4 turns, this is on top of their regularly advertised bonus, right? (they still keep their stated bonus after the 2 years)

Yes, sorry for the confusion. should have made it more clear.

20% wonder order bonus is an undocumented bonus that all wonders grant. This fades away, but the documented bonus is permanent. (So artemis will always give you a discount on religious buildings)

King Azzole
10-12-2004, 20:04
I dont think Zues is bugged. I play as the greeks and took egyptian citys, and after conquering them were able to leave a 1-2 unit garrison with a 6000 population and maintain loyalty above 90%. Without Zues im sure it wouldnt have been that way.

andrewt
10-12-2004, 20:28
If you've taken the Pyramids then it's no surprise that Egypt is easier to maintain control over.

Zeus' permanent bonus is bugged. There's no permanent bonus, only the temporary one all wonders get.

King Azzole
10-12-2004, 22:45
I dont understand how all my citys remain loyal with minimal garrison regardless of culture then. Who confirmed this and when? I see the opposite. Zues works fine for me unless all factions somehow like the greeks to rule over them.

chemchok
10-12-2004, 23:31
I dont understand how all my citys remain loyal with minimal garrison regardless of culture then. Who confirmed this and when? I see the opposite. Zues works fine for me unless all factions somehow like the greeks to rule over them.
Well, go check your city detail screen, it should show up under public order.

King Azzole
10-12-2004, 23:55
Regardless if it shows up or not, which I will check now, I have never had citys so loyal to me as when I played the greeks and had Zues. Perhaps its behind the scenes? Not EVERYTHING has to show up as a stat you know...

andrewt
10-13-2004, 01:05
I checked the stats. There's no permanent change in public order after you get the Statue of Zeus. If you mean you let your public order slide to 70% or below and see less rebellions, then I can't really refute that.

King Azzole
10-13-2004, 02:15
No I mean simply my citys stay higher, 80-100% loyalty with 1-2 units garrisoned in forgeign citys of 6000+ people. If I did that with any other faction without Zeus they would rebel without 5+ units garrisoned. And I mean within 2-3 turns of capping they are all peacful. Ill post a pic one sec.

OK. Here you notice in Sidon I have no governer, its an Egyptian culture, and it only has 2 units garrisoned. I had that city only a few turns as I dashed through the Egyptian lands. In fact I took all those city circled in about 10-12 turns. Notice all the green smileys. With other factions when I conquer other cultures they are ALOT more disloyal than these guys.

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/6631/Zues.jpg

Dorkus
10-13-2004, 02:25
zeus is definitely bugged.

holding egypt is a piece of cake with the pyramids. they build a bunch of law temples too, to help things out.

chemchok
10-13-2004, 02:58
Azzole, you need to take a pic of the settlement details screen, that's where you can actually make sense out of all the public order bonuses and penalties for the specific city.

Medieval Assassin
10-13-2004, 03:03
No I mean simply my citys stay higher, 80-100% loyalty with 1-2 units garrisoned in forgeign citys of 6000+ people. If I did that with any other faction without Zeus they would rebel without 5+ units garrisoned. And I mean within 2-3 turns of capping they are all peacful. Ill post a pic one sec.

OK. Here you notice in Sidon I have no governer, its an Egyptian culture, and it only has 2 units garrisoned. I had that city only a few turns as I dashed through the Egyptian lands. In fact I took all those city circled in about 10-12 turns. Notice all the green smileys. With other factions when I conquer other cultures they are ALOT more disloyal than these guys.

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/6631/Zues.jpg
There are still 484 men in that city, with low tax, so that should have it around 80-90% regardless, there is a big garrison there and low taxes.

King Azzole
10-13-2004, 19:11
Big garrison? For a city that has 10000 people? I guess im gonna have to post a pic of my Julii campaign that requires 6-8 units to maintain citys alot closer to my capitol and of the SAME culture unlike these.

Medieval Assassin
10-13-2004, 20:06
Or you could get a picture of the settlement details that sums everything up...

Dorkus
10-13-2004, 20:32
need to show the settlement deatils screen. bet these cities have high level law temples.

high level law temple + pyrmaids = order with virtually no garrison.

King Azzole
10-14-2004, 00:37
I dont have the pyramids. IT doesnt say Zues in the details of course, but it might be under entertainment etc.. hmmm. What about trade boost from Rhodes? Does that show up on settlement? Or Pyramid boost? If not the wonders might only work behind the scenes. Either way has CA commented on this?

Zetto
10-14-2004, 02:33
Zeus does show up in details screen but then dissappears... and cities level lose loads of happiness, too

Dorkus
10-14-2004, 03:41
Zeus does show up in details screen but then dissappears... and cities level lose loads of happiness, too

zeus does not show up. All wonders grant the same bonus that disappears. Zeus does nothing more. Whether it is intended to maintain the normal bonus or bump up the normal bonus another (permanent) 20% is anyone's guess.

USMCNJ
10-14-2004, 04:05
Off topic
Azzole
how did you get to regulate tax without a governor?

chemchok
10-14-2004, 04:49
Off topic
Azzole
how did you get to regulate tax without a governor?
Hit Esc, go to game options, and select "manage all settlements." You can also set it when you start a new campaign.

andrewt
10-14-2004, 06:53
The Pyramid doesn't give any "boost". If you have the Pyramids, every Egyptian city you have will have 0% culture penalty. It's usually 50% for newly conquered provinces of other cultures.

Zetto
10-14-2004, 21:25
zeus does not show up. All wonders grant the same bonus that disappears. Zeus does nothing more. Whether it is intended to maintain the normal bonus or bump up the normal bonus another (permanent) 20% is anyone's guess.
k, specifically, I get wonder bonus but it dissapears, happy now? :duel:

RedKnight
10-15-2004, 00:48
Andrewt - or anybody else - any idea how fast that culture penalty goes away? It seems like it might be by 5% per turn, IF I've replace local temples with my own, but I'm not sure.
~:confused: