PDA

View Full Version : About RTW system requarements

SlyConqueror
10-13-2004, 10:20
I want to know if I could run RTW on my PC.
Here is my configuration
CPU: Duron 650MHz
RAM: 192 SDRAM
Video: 16Mb RIVA TNT2 m64
and so on
I am asking you that becous in this forum a have read that
there is a person who with
p3 500Mhz
192 Mb Ram
and Radeon 9000 (not sure abou the last)
can run RTW
I suppose thati have to upgrade at least ny video card (to GeForce 5200 maybe) to run RTW, but will be that enough.
I know that official requarements are:
CPU: above 1 Ghz
RAM: 256 MB
VIDEO: 64 MB video card Directx9.0 compatible
and so on

Boohugh
10-13-2004, 12:10
Try the demo, if that works the full game may work. However, from the specs you gave us, it is unlikely to be very playable if it runs at all.

A video card upgrade is a must, but the rest of your system would hold back any modern video card. If you can afford it, it would be better to buy a new computer, as your motherboard probably can't take any new processors or RAM.

If you need more help, the people in the Apothecary are the ones to ask.

barvaz
10-13-2004, 14:49
RTW will refuse to install on a machine with video card that has less than 64MB of memory. I assume that similar checks are there for RAM and CPU.

- barvaz

Oaty
10-13-2004, 16:30
Well if it does run you'd more than likely have to play on small unit sizes

Turbo
10-13-2004, 16:59
R.I.P.

You are going to have nothing but problems trying to run Rome on that system.

fastspawn
10-13-2004, 17:05
i play on my Pentium-M 1.3 Ghz LAPTOp
256 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32 MB

it works fine, but i need a gamma brightening of my strategy map. I wonder how to do that.

barvaz
10-13-2004, 17:15
i play on my Pentium-M 1.3 Ghz LAPTOp
256 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32 MB

it works fine, but i need a gamma brightening of my strategy map. I wonder how to do that.

How did you manage to install it on laptop with Radeon 7500? I have the same video card on my thinkpad T40 and it refuses to install.

- barvaz

fastspawn
10-14-2004, 02:31
How did you manage to install it on laptop with Radeon 7500? I have the same video card on my thinkpad T40 and it refuses to install.

- barvaz

I don't know, i just installed it. Could it be because of other sysreq u don't fulfil? (actually i don't fulfil the Vram, being 32MB, but it can stubbornly push its way across)

Red Harvest
10-14-2004, 02:54
CA has stated that they are trying to support 32 MB cards where they can, so a given 32 MB card might work. It really has more to do with the type of card/motherboard and how it handles the memory. Collateral parts of the system could be the determinant of whether it will work or not.

The original poster's machine is so far out of spec in all three areas, that I seriously doubt it would work. And if it did work I doubt it would be pleasurable.

Medieval Assassin
10-14-2004, 02:58
I want to know if I could run RTW on my PC.
Here is my configuration
CPU: Duron 650MHz
RAM: 192 SDRAM
Video: 16Mb RIVA TNT2 m64
and so on
I am asking you that becous in this forum a have read that
there is a person who with
p3 500Mhz
192 Mb Ram
and Radeon 9000 (not sure abou the last)
can run RTW
I suppose thati have to upgrade at least ny video card (to GeForce 5200 maybe) to run RTW, but will be that enough.
I know that official requarements are:
CPU: above 1 Ghz
RAM: 256 MB
VIDEO: 64 MB video card Directx9.0 compatible
and so on

Thats me P3-500mhz 192 ram and 64mb video card, it works no lag on low setting and units large and detail med. I can have about 2700 people without lag. (except flaming arrows, bad, VERY bad...)

EDIT**** You _Need_ a better video card, at least a 64, and 128's are quite popluler now, mines a 64, I dunno, the game runs well on my computer, I didnt expect it to run well at all.

boot
10-14-2004, 11:08
No it wont run mate,i tried ti install on my sons CP its a 933.p3 radion 64mb 256 RAM sound blaster.....i could get it to run but it looked terrible,so what i do now is let my son play on my p43.06 1gigRAM Radion9700pro and yes with this pc it runs fantastic....the sad thing is theres a old saying that my older brother usaed to say to me You got to PAY TO PLAY....im in hock now but i wayed up the proes+cons..and i love this game...and Doom3 and Half life and Joint Ops....on and on i could go....lol

Boot :charge:

SlyConqueror
10-14-2004, 13:02
Thank you all for replays. I knew what the result should be but there was a little hope left about running RTW on my old PC. NOT ANY MORE :(
It seem sthat i have to upgrade and better buy a new PC as I was thinking but it will take at least half year to get the money :((
Until then I will only listen to RTW, and play the good old MTW

Thanks again

SlyConqueror
10-14-2004, 13:04
I suppose that if i buy a better video card like GeForce 5200 128 bit 64/128Mb i wil still have problem with running RTW in this PC. The fps ratio will be bad nad the quality poor. am i right?

boot
10-14-2004, 19:48
yeah dont spend anymore money on your old pc mate it will be a waste, keep your Money towards a newer one...realy i know how you feel but dont chuck good money away.....i often look in the papers and see good second hand pc which will run RTW at a decent price.....good luck.

Boot ~:cheers:

Medieval Assassin
10-14-2004, 20:13
It.runs.very.well.on.my.pc.

castle
10-14-2004, 23:08
if your monitors ok just get a new base unit

Red Harvest
10-15-2004, 02:11
SlyConqueror,

That machine is obviously pretty dated, what motherboard chipset does it use? Does it have an AGP slot? My guess is that it will be an old KT133 based system (KT133A would be good!) Assuming it has an AGP slot, and is KT133 based or similar, then you could probably find an older 100/200 FSB Athlon that would work with it. You could upgrade memory, and you could put in a new vid card. Obviously, this all costs money, and you are putting it into an obsolete system. However, if it is your only option at least you could do it in stages (Christmas is around the corner...) You would probably end up with a machine with about two years of life in it before it becomes utterly obsolete again. This assumes nothing big fails, like the motherboard, or PSU, or hard drive.

If it is based on the KT133 and there is a motherboard BIOS to support it:
1. CPU wise you could try up to a 1.4 GHz Athlon with the 14x100 multiplier (it will be listed as 200 FSB.) On Pricewatch these are expensive @ ~$130, but you can get a 1.3 or 1.2 for around $60. So I would steer that direction. This would be huge step up in performance for you.
2. Memory wise you probably have a single 128 and a single 64 MB stick of PC100 (or PC133) SDRAM. If it is a KT133 motherboard, it will only be able to run 100/200 FSB, so the PC133 works but provides no additional benefit. You could probably get by with pulling the 64 MB stick and adding a single 256 MB stick (technically below spec, but not too bad.) However, a full 512 MB probably wouldn't cost much more so I would lean that way.

If instead, it is KT133A based and you can find an appropriate BIOS from the manufacturer, the board would probably support an Athlon XP 2100+ and 133/266 FSB operation. (You would REALLY notice the performance improvement from that CPU.) This would let you add/replace with 512 MB of PC133 SDRAM. My wife's machine is equipped like that and is still quite useful (although it is not used much for gaming anymore and I haven't tested RTW with it.) It is still plenty fast for all but high end gaming. Going from 100 to 133 FSB is noticeable even at the same CPU speed.

For vid card selection, check the Apothecary, there are threads on this about once every two weeks. ATi 9600 series are probably the lowest I would consider installing as a new card, I can't remember where the best break point is on the lowest end NV card to consider (one that actually supports DX9 like the 9600 without software emulating.)

Now there are some gotcha's about a very old system...the power supply (PSU) might not be able to hack it, meaning you have to keep that in mind as a potential budgetary item. Also, case cooling could be a problem for a system that has never had a hot processor and decent vid card combination.

dlundie
10-16-2004, 01:33
I have a KT 133A board running a Athlon 1700xp on 512 PC 133 and a fx5200. It runs the game quite well at medium settings with all the eye candy enabled. The board can be updated and later cpu's installed via a bios update. However it doesnt support the full FSB of the newer cpu's