PDA

View Full Version : How do you rally units?

Ulstan
10-13-2004, 15:27
I've had absolutely no luck rallying my men in RTW. In mtw, it was simple, select unit, click rally.

Now I only get the rally symbol on my general, and mashing it never rallies anyone, even if they are fleeing long after the enemy has been defeated.

Bob the Insane
10-13-2004, 16:08
I've had absolutely no luck rallying my men in RTW. In mtw, it was simple, select unit, click rally.

Now I only get the rally symbol on my general, and mashing it never rallies anyone, even if they are fleeing long after the enemy has been defeated.

I think this special ability of general has an definite range on the battlefield so it pays to keep your general close to the troops..

Not sure how morale differs in RTW compared to MTW but it does appear harder to get units back into action once they have broken...

Oaty
10-13-2004, 16:40
Since the topic is here how well does it work on wavering units. You know he's there yelling and cheering the troops on. These wavering troops could be in the hottest spot of the battle but if they hold and your flanks come in, but if they route then your flanking troops may have to pull double duty.

So it would be nice that a general's cheer could make troops hold out for a little longer in a tought spot.

The only downfall is the rally option can only be used once every 15 or 30 secs.

So does it temporarily raise morale for all troops that hear the call or only ones that are routing as it'd be nice if he could encourage troops for another 5-10 seconds to hold on a little longer

Red Harvest
10-13-2004, 22:00
Sometimes they rally easily, other times I can't get them to rally at all even when there are still many next to the unit and they are near my general. I have no idea what controls it, but I've not found the general's rally ability very useful. Some of the units that DO rally are the ones closer to the enemy and they get smashed before I realize they rallied instead of the bigger unit near my general. :dizzy2: They seem more inclined to rally with distance from the enemy, than by what my general does.

ToranagaSama
10-14-2004, 00:40
Ahhhh....where's the "rally" button?

I thought it had been eliminated. Units seem to rally on their own.
In the Demo I recall clicking away, but it never seemed to work.

Lord of the Isles
10-14-2004, 16:35
Ahhhh....where's the "rally" button?

I thought it had been eliminated. Units seem to rally on their own.
In the Demo I recall clicking away, but it never seemed to work.

It's the special abilty of General units, so when you want to try it click in the "special ability" button in the bottom right box (it's a brown horn icon if memory serves).

Like others, I've had limited success using it.

Tamur
10-14-2004, 16:50
I had just assumed I was using it wrong, as I've never had a fleeing unit rally via the General's rally troops ability. Apparently I'm not alone.

I even had my general gallop up behind said fleeing troops (a unit of falxmen who had been cut down to 45 men out of the full 80) and hit the rally button when the lead horse of my general got in amongst the falxmen. No effect, even though the enemy were fleeing the field at the time.

Ulstan
10-14-2004, 22:04
All right, I had my general follow a unit of fleeing hastati across 3/4 of the battlefield, hitting 'rally' all the way. Nothing happened.

Bear in mind, the enemy has already been beaten at this point and all we are doing is cutting down enemy routers.