PDA

View Full Version : trees and stuff

ICantSpellDawg
10-15-2004, 02:00
trees in the middle east and africa really bug me

i mean, cmon - since when does lower mesopotamia have as many temperate trees as tuscany? and the same type of tree?

anyone know how to fix the absurd textures?

Nerouin
10-15-2004, 02:16
Oh, great- another person bitching and moaning about some obscure detail of the game, acting as if this one little thing ruins the game.

Excuse me, but that just pisses me off- obviously you enjoy the game, so criticize it constructively, or don't criticize it at all.

How would you feel if someone crapped all over something it took you 4 years to make, because of one little thing.. compared to all the great things?

discovery1
10-15-2004, 02:39
I thought that most of the desertifacation that has occured in North Africa happen mostly after the game takes place. As for the land between the rivers, I have not noticed trees there.

ChaosLord
10-15-2004, 02:50
Geez, don't overreact so much Nerouin, he just doesn't like part of the game and wants to find out how to change it. Yes, he said "absurd", but thats hardly a bad word. For some people how things look in-game is important as gameplay.

But anyway..you should probably be asking this in the modding forum TuffStuffMcGruff as I believe some people have already reskinned things.

Colovion
10-15-2004, 03:20
trees in the middle east and africa really bug me

i mean, cmon - since when does lower mesopotamia have as many temperate trees as tuscany? and the same type of tree?

anyone know how to fix the absurd textures?

Do you realize that Mesopotamia was once a rich and lush area? the starting point of many civilizations because of that very reason: it was incredibly fertile. Lebanon was (and still is to some degree) once famous for their vast forests of Cedars. The reason why the Assyrians, Persians, Babylonians, Hittites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, Chaldeans, Philistinians and a vast array of other cultures found the Middle East a good place to settle in was because it was once great to do so. Egypt holds claim to the first State organized Gov't. The reason? Because there were so many people. Why? Because the Nile Vally was so incredibly fertile that it could sustain that amount of people.

Now adays, 2000+ years after the game is based in, most of these areas have been deforested, over-farmed or generally overrun by housing developements. Hopefully this gave you some insight. ~:)

ICantSpellDawg
10-15-2004, 04:31
ive learned that southeastern anatolia and lebanon had cedars, but that mesopotamia has had few if any trees since history has been recorded - houses wernt built with trees but rather mud brick and reeds until trade brought lumber in

many believe that the earliest expansions of mesopotamian peoples up north was caused by their drive to get silver, food stuffs and cedars among other things that the south had little of

i realize that the land between the two rivers is fertile - but so is the american midwest - and there arnt that many trees on the plains

fertile doesnt mean that giant oak and cedar trees grow everywhere
even on the campmap there are palms or thin desert-grown trees

i was just saying - yeesh
mods, please move this to the modification forum

go seige a numantian city and tell me if the large temperate trees dont feel a bit out of place

i love the game and play it non-stop - that first responder is a wierdo
absurd does describe the trees all over the battle map, however

Nerouin
10-15-2004, 04:37
Great, I'm glad you finally said that.

I'm sick of all the negativity.