PDA

View Full Version : Family Traits & Lysenko-ism

dhague
10-20-2004, 08:25
The "\data\export_descr_character_traits.txt" file appears to be quite mod-able. I added unique new triggers to it to cause the father's good traits to be inherited. Based on a 4-generation test (not complete to victory but had Rome and about 30 settlements), it looks like it worked fine. The list of new "unique" trait triggers that worked are:

;------------------------------------------
Trigger dads_kindruler
WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition FatherTrait KindRuler >= 1

Affects KindRuler 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_just

Condition FatherTrait Just >= 1

Affects Just 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_upgright

Condition FatherTrait Upright >= 1

Affects Upright 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_fertile

Condition FatherTrait Fertile >= 1

Affects Fertile 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_energetic

Condition FatherTrait Energetic >= 1

Affects Energetic 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_intelligent

Condition FatherTrait Intelligent >= 1

Affects Intelligent 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_logisticalskill

Condition FatherTrait LogisticalSkill >= 1

Affects LogisticalSkill 2 Chance 100
Trigger dads_naturalphilosophyskill

Condition FatherTrait NaturalPhilosophySkill >= 1

Affects NaturalPhilosophySkill 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_goodcommander

Condition FatherTrait GoodCommander >= 1

Affects GoodCommander 2 Chance 100
Trigger dads_goodadministrator

Condition FatherTrait GoodAdministrator >= 1

Affects GoodAdministrator 2 Chance 100

Trigger dads_goodbuilder

Condition FatherTrait GoodBuilder >= 1

Affects GoodBuilder 2 Chance 100

The other step needed besides the "new trigger" is an optional adjustment of the "NoGoingBackLevel" in the basic trait definition. I suspect that the basic trait categories are hard-coded and not expandable. There may be some absolute limit to the number of triggers. Otherwise, the traits file looks like another playground for mod-ers. Feel free to add your own comments and results. IMHO, the original programmers went overboard in giving flakey sons to good-trait fathers.

Warning: There was one game glitch in the test but I believe that it was not related to my trait mods. With the Greek_cities down to one settlement (Syracuse), they launched a go-for-broke attack on Croton with the heir and another family member and were repulsed into the "toe of the boot". I used ships to blockade their location. Then the greek_cities faction leader died. This left the new faction leader and heir blockaded in my territory. Just to see what would happen, I used a diplomat to bribe the leader-less settlement even though I had no nearby army to occupy (a revolt next turn would be OK if it wiped out the faction in the meantime). The city accepted the bribe and totally hung the game without leaving the "bribe scroll". This hang-up was hard-repeatable from the save-game.

PS: Lysenko was the russian biologist under Stalin (circa 1930) who claimed that acquired traits could be inherited.

dhague
10-30-2004, 06:52
Further Conclusions on Modifying Traits & Triggers (If anyone is interested):

Correct to the best of my knowledge but not "certified".

Think of a trait as an up/down counter. The Trigger definition specifies the test time and test conditions to determine if one or more up/down counts are applied to the counter. The trait definition contains the thresholds that covert the "counter value" into the "current" trait level. In the "conditions" part of the Trigger definition (following the usage shown in the rest of the traits file), I have successfully added as many as five conditions to a new trigger or modified old trigger. Pay particular attention to the potential uses of the "conditions" example below(shown as "anded" to illustrate usage):

Trigger bad_marriage

WhenToTest CharacterMarries

Condition FatherTrait Cuckold >= 1 ;test for at/above level
And Feck >= 2 ;and test for at/above level
And Upright

dhague
10-30-2004, 23:56
Trying again to get whole message to display:

Further Conclusions on Modifying Traits & Triggers (If anyone is interested):

Correct to the best of my knowledge but not "certified".

Think of a trait as an up/down counter. The Trigger definition specifies the test time and test conditions to determine if one or more up/down counts are applied to the counter. The trait definition contains the thresholds that covert the "counter value" into the "current" trait level. In the "conditions" part of the Trigger definition (following the usage shown in the rest of the traits file), I have successfully added as many as five conditions to a new trigger or modified old trigger. Pay particular attention to the potential uses of the "conditions" example below(shown as "anded" to illustrate usage):

Trigger bad_marriage

WhenToTest CharacterMarries

Condition FatherTrait Cuckold >= 1 ;test for at/above level
And Feck >= 2 ;and test for at/above level
And Upright