PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun wedding

Kekkonen
10-21-2004, 07:56
Gen. Appius Brutus, 34, married Flavinia, 12. One turn later they had a baby girl.

Way to go, Appius. :dizzy2:

metatron
10-21-2004, 08:09
O_o

Oaty
10-21-2004, 08:55
The baby was born prematurely at 6 months and was lucky to live and what's wrong with your family going after 12 year olds like that. ~:confused:

andrewt
10-21-2004, 09:01
Some people prefer to "rehearse" before the wedding. ~;)

Oaty
10-21-2004, 09:06

Rehearse the wedding sure ......... rehearsing the honeymoon????????

Akka
10-21-2004, 09:10
I'm not sure it was that uncommon at the time to marry at such a young age.

metatron
10-21-2004, 09:29
Marry no, bear children yes.

Colovion
10-21-2004, 09:30
only recently in human history has the stated isntance become "wrong"

Kekkonen
10-21-2004, 10:14

One turn before the wedding Appius was 34 but Flavinia apparently 11. And this guy doesn't even have the 'debauched' trait. ~:confused:

Bob the Insane
10-21-2004, 13:47
only recently in human history has the stated isntance become "wrong"

Dude, it has always been wrong, it has just taken us a while to work it out... ~D

Prodigal
10-21-2004, 13:57
Its still gotta be better than the ancient tradition of marrying your sister though

Kekkonen
10-21-2004, 14:12
How widespread was that outside the Egyptian royal family?

andrewt
10-21-2004, 18:17
Its still gotta be better than the ancient tradition of marrying your sister though

They still do that in the South (U.S.). ~D

NimitsTexan
10-21-2004, 23:19
Dude, it has always been wrong, it has just taken us a while to work it out... ~D

Nothing wrong with two mature people marrying regardless of their age. I have known some 14 or 16 year old girls that were much more ready for marriage than some of the 20 somethings that run around out their. Most people who oppose early marriage do so because they feel that people should "experiance life" for some presdetermined period of time, as if multiple pre-marital "encounters" were better that a matrimonial monogamus relationship.

Granted, 12 would be pushing the limit . . .

Bob the Insane
10-22-2004, 09:14
I have known some 14 or 16 year old girls that were much more ready for marriage

:jawdrop:

Colovion
10-22-2004, 10:11
I don't see what's shocking about that....

sapi
10-22-2004, 10:33
Some people prefer to "rehearse" before the wedding.

Some people 'rehearse' and then HAVE to have the wedding ;)

Bob the Insane
10-22-2004, 10:58
I don't see what's shocking about that....

I guess it is just me getting old... At 31 anyone below the age of 20 is beginning to look like a kid... I remember feeling all grown up at university, 13 years later I look at University students and think "children"... (not in a derogatory way I add quickly, we were all children once, it's just an age and experience thing)...

People might feel all mature and grown up at eighteen but the truth is they are not hugely mature and experienced they simply less immature than those around them...

Jesus, this is getting deep and I am sounding like a grumpy old man... ~:eek:

Ptah
10-22-2004, 11:39
My faction's 18 year old girl brought home a 80 year old boyfriend.

"By Jupiter, please, don't tell me its the money!

Lechev
10-22-2004, 11:48
Ever heard of "sugar daddy" ? ~;) ~D

Lord of the Isles
10-22-2004, 12:04
When I first glanced at the thread title I was confused. I didn't remember Shogun allowing you to marry off your generals?

Now that I'm up to speed ... remember what short lives people had in those days. At birth a Roman citizen had a life expectancy of about 25, and no doubt other cultures had a lower figure. Even if they survived their dangerous first year, that only went up to around 35. So at age 12, you were a lot further into your life than most of us lucky people are.

Bob the Insane
10-22-2004, 12:15
At birth a Roman citizen had a life expectancy of about 25, and no doubt other cultures had a lower figure.

This whole average life expectancy is always misrepresented... It's not that people in the ancient world did not live to a ripe old age, they did... It is firstly that the infant mortality rate was hiddious... Something like only 2 in 10 (working from memory here so give us a break.. ~D ) survived the first year... This hugely affects the average life expectancy... Also death was an every day thing... Get an infected cut? You stood a good chance of dying.. Get a serious work injury? Either die now or starve later...

No wonder these people had no quams about gladatorial combat and the mass slaughter of enemies... Death was all around, all the time...

People did not just drop dead at 30... If you survived you first year you had a chance of getting to 70 or 80... You would just have to be extremely lucky is all....

But having said this, the fact that death was all around and the lack of good career prospects for women in the ancient world ment girls would be considered women as soon a biology said so...

Oaty
10-22-2004, 19:07
All the way back to the Egyptian empire pharoahs lived a long healthy life. Its thefact of having money for the best food and health. Heck just go back to the 30's when social security came about, 60 or somewhere around there was the average lifespan and during that time most people worked up until thier death. So social security was to get the old people out of work to let the young ones have a chance. Heck not like most of them would be getting a check for more than 2 years.

I'm sure there are some kings from those days who would not even want to go back to there kingdom if you gave em an apartment, a shower, hot water ans electricity. Even if they had to work a job of the peasants

Zild
10-29-2004, 07:37
Sorry for getting off-topic (by getting back ON-topic!) but is this pretty common in RTW?

My first ever RTW wedding was an 18-year old to a 12 year old (not as bad as some I've seen, but hardly decent!). One turn later, his brother (then also 18) went and married himself a 12 year old too!

Worse still, I'm pretty sure they were both out in the field pretty much non-stop. Where the hell did they find these 12-year olds? Surely they didn't take them with them at the start of the trip, as they would have been several years younger!

I guess those girls out in the country must be more mature than their city-dwelling counterparts ;)

Colovion
10-29-2004, 09:34
Sorry for getting off-topic (by getting back ON-topic!) but is this pretty common in RTW?

My first ever RTW wedding was an 18-year old to a 12 year old (not as bad as some I've seen, but hardly decent!). One turn later, his brother (then also 18) went and married himself a 12 year old too!

Worse still, I'm pretty sure they were both out in the field pretty much non-stop. Where the hell did they find these 12-year olds? Surely they didn't take them with them at the start of the trip, as they would have been several years younger!

I guess those girls out in the country must be more mature than their city-dwelling counterparts ;)

History. Read.