PDA

View Full Version : Stroll beside the river turns deadly...

Jacque Schtrapp
10-21-2004, 23:59
As the Seleucid Empire I am busily facing down Egyptian (along with everybody else) incursions into my territory. Recently I managed to pull a quick one on the Pharoah and take both Sidon and Jerusalem in the same turn. Shortly thereafter he sent an army to attack Jerusalem. Rather than face another in a long line of endless sieges, I sallied forth to attack the Egyptian host approaching from east of the city. The enemy stack was standing smack in the middle of the river on the strat map when I attacked. Upon reaching the river map where we were to do battle I drew my forces into formation and headed towards where the hordes of Egyptian chariots awaited. Approximately halfway to the enemy lines I noticed two units were suddenly missing from my formation. Fearing a surpirse attack I immediately backtracked and began a desperate search for my wayward men. I found them. Face down at the bottom of a pool of water. Two entire phalanx pikemen units. Dead. ~:eek:

:furious3: :furious3: :furious3:

I won't bother translating the bubble comment for you although "pathfinding issues" does figure prominently.

In the meantime, I am immediately introducing a bill into congress that will require all phalanx units to be provided with water wings and swimming lessons... or at the very least grief coucillors for their families. Who knew?

:help: :help: :help:

Servius
10-22-2004, 00:09
Greeks with bright orange swimmies on their arms would be perfect. Yes, they would lose a lot of the intimidation factor, but at least use could let them run around the pool.

Red Harvest
10-22-2004, 01:07
You needed to put them in guard mode. Actually, when they get near water, the little orange "guard mode" shield changes into an orange life saving ring. This is known as "life guard mode." They can handle water obstacles in this mode. ~D

Bridge battles are a farce so I try to avoid them. One side always seems to end up running into the drink. If you try to advance a phalanx across a bridge, the over aggressive AI will charge every unit it has into it, and into the drink.

sapi
10-22-2004, 10:34
New strategies galore!
Push em in!