PDA

View Full Version : Promoting hastati to principes?

Lucidor
10-22-2004, 17:09
Wouldn't it be neat, if units would auto-upgrade to the next level when they have gained a certain amount of experience. That will take care of there being no new triarii until you've built the correct barracks.

It's what's implied in the unit text anyway - that veterans were moved further and further back in the OOB when they had proven themselves and pretty much what I can remember from my Latin realia lessons.

layforce_2003
10-22-2004, 17:31
I thought that they did auto-upgrade after several battles? Unless I have 'auto build units' on

Lemur
10-22-2004, 18:12
There is no way to upgrade the unit, unless you count re-training with better armor, etc. But that actual progressions from hastati to principes, well, that just didn't get coded in. Sorry. It's just one of those things.

ah_dut
10-23-2004, 11:41
They're totally differant units, think feudal knights to chivalric knights in MTW

Lucidor
10-23-2004, 14:52
They're totally differant units, think feudal knights to chivalric knights in MTW
Are they really? They are both infantry - sure, at least triarii has some other weapons, but the big difference is that the principes and triarii have experience. At least if you want it historically.

*Ringo*
10-23-2004, 15:02
Wow, parallel posts (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=38611) . How weird!

*Ringo*

CBR
10-23-2004, 15:09
Only difference in RTW is that Hastati has 2 less defense because of 2 less in armor. "Mental stats" are 6, normal, trained v 6, disciplined, highly_trained.

The description of the mental stats are :
The base morale level, followed by discipline and training; discipline may be normal, low, disciplined or imperuous. Impetuous units may charge without orders; training determines how tidy the unit's formation is

When saying its like Feudal knights v Chiv Knights its not that far off really. 2 units with same role, one just with slightly better stats. In this case the difference is smaller than between the knights.

Historically there would be a difference but sometimes it might not have been much and some Legions that had been on campaign for years might be considered to have same quality of troops in all 3 lines.

CBR