PDA

View Full Version : Mishima - A Life in Four Chapters

candidgamera
03-17-2001, 23:11
Anyone seen this?

Recently saw, very impressed, quite atmospheric.

Any comments?

------------------
"If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented.
The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make
plans against it." Sun Tzu

Anssi Hakkinen
03-18-2001, 04:42
Mishima, as in Mishima Yukio? I haven't seen this one, but I sure would like to.

------------------
"The warrior's lies are called strategy -- the only honest people are the farmers and townsmen."
- Akechi Mitsuhide

candidgamera
03-18-2001, 05:11
Anssi:

Checked Amazon, and yes: Mishima Yukio.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6300270939/qid=984869327/sr=1-3/ref=sc_v_4/103-9996339-1307824

Film is like watching 3 films, that build up how he gets to, in his life, that day in 1970. One part show's days events in 1970 - ordinary film color, one part in B&W is flashbacks of his life from school days, and one part is like watching very over colored play of, I think, 3 of his novels, can't remember names, arranged chronologic with when he wrote them. Done by Paul Schrader, same guy who did "Catpeople".

Its immersive, really puts you in his head, and the mindset of what "our little STW world" is about. It has a real classic Japanese heroic fatalism about it. Kind of in keeping also with your post over at "general discussion" - "our way".

regards,
candidgamera

Kurando
03-18-2001, 06:32
An amazing film! I saw it in the theater actually: totally awesome!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6300270939.01.MZZZZZZZ.gif

Shadow or T_R Please move this topic to the Japanese History and Cinema Forum.

candidgamera
03-18-2001, 07:12
Kurando:

Someday, when I'm a grown-up chatter I'll know how to post the pictures.

Might have overstated a little on "the mindset of what 'our little STW world' is about', maybe more of a reflection or an echo.

What did really seem like STW, was the part about perfection/beauty boiling down to a single moment - like a sword stroke.

BTW: checked and the great Philip Glass soundtrack can be purchased to from Amazon, more to the point - available.

Minagawa Daimon
03-18-2001, 13:59
isnt he the "GAY" author who committed suicide?

candidgamera
03-19-2001, 23:38
M.D.

The link discusses some of that - kind of, and yes, but how. Kind of found the movie by mistake when looking for something to watch, out of town with work. Damned by Blockbuster in home town - crap selection.
As I understand, guy was supposed to be one of Japan's greatest writers of the 20th Century.

candidgamera

------------------
"If I determine the enemy's disposition of forces while I have no perceptible form, I can concentrate my forces while the enemy is fragmented.
The pinnacle of military deployment approaches the formless: if it is formless, then even the deepest spy cannot discern it, nor the wise make
plans against it." Sun Tzu

Choco
03-20-2001, 13:24
Mishima had great books:

Read the "Golden Pavillion" (or it was silver?). And also "Confessions of a mask".

Mishima also did some cool noir films

candidgamera
03-20-2001, 23:32
Choco:

"Golden Pavillion" is one of the novels in the film. Think, the other you mention might of been in it too, as the 2nd novel: about a protection racket, shopkeeper, shopkeeper's son? How extreme did he come across to you? Haven't had a chance yet to read any of his books yet.

candidgamera

Choco
03-21-2001, 07:00
If you haven't read Mishima yet ... then you are missing something good.

His prose is very plain but elegant and deep. Really a word master.