PDA

View Full Version : Death stalks the land

Kroakie
10-26-2004, 03:36
Hi I'm new here. Anyway I have the misfortune of getting an entire fleet of ships infected with the plague, and it seems that they can never recover from it, whereas all my land based units and cities recover after a few turns. It's too wasteful to disband them all, but their troop count is pitiful and retraining them solves nothing as they'll die out after a while. Is there any way to take them out of their miseries?

Colovion
10-26-2004, 03:47
wow, I never even knew ships could get infected

Locklear
10-26-2004, 03:48
For ground stacks with captains (not generals), I've found that having them enter a non-plagued city sometimes works.

The chance to infect the city seems to be random, and if they don't infect it, when you move them out again, they are clear of the plague. Perhaps the same thing happens with a clean port? I've never had a fleet infected.

On a similar note, has anyone ever had a character recover from the plague? Mine just seem to die, and it's only cities/captain-led armies that can recover. This is especially annoying when it's a wonderful governor and he can't govern anyone for fear of infecting them!

Razor1952
10-26-2004, 03:51
Try splitting up your fleet,some might become cured with time.
I have however had a few troops remain plagued for the entire game , not that that was a big problem , in fact I used them as a reservoir to infect my spies which I then used to infect my opponents cities. I was just careful not group the infected units with other units or cities so as not to spread the plague.

Cities seem to loose their infection in 3-8 turns so if you have an infected city then it may be ok to send your fleet there and it may be cured with the city , on the other hand the fleet may prolong the infection in that city.-- I'm not sure about this.

Kroakie
10-26-2004, 04:10
I have it docked at a port for a long time now but nothing happens, except that the admiral passed away and the troop count keep getting smaller. The city did not get infected either.

I had a general recover from the plague. Took a long time and a chunk of the population of Rhodes though. I also noticed he has the weak health vice (can't remember the exact term) after he recover, but as to whether he got that from the plague or he had it all along I have no idea.

Sin Qua Non
10-26-2004, 06:01
Just for kicks, you may want to try to send the fleet to blockade an enemy port, and see if you can infect them there. It shouldn't really work, but who knows how the program will respond? It sounds like an especially sneaky way to infect enemy generals quickly.

andrewt
10-26-2004, 06:42
If you have an enemy, you might as well have them fight and chase single ships.

Nestor II
10-26-2004, 07:41
Hi I'm new here. Anyway I have the misfortune of getting an entire fleet of ships infected with the plague, and it seems that they can never recover from it, whereas all my land based units and cities recover after a few turns. It's too wasteful to disband them all, but their troop count is pitiful and retraining them solves nothing as they'll die out after a while. Is there any way to take them out of their miseries?

I admire the advance of your faction! You are the proud owner of a Weapon of Mass Destruction in the ancient times!

Are you wondering what to do with it? You can do what Razor1952 did and launch it on every enemy you have or show your greatness and destroy it!

PS: Biological warfare: there should be an option to use it in the diplomacy screen: 'Beware of me, I got the plague' ~D

R'as al Ghul
10-26-2004, 11:39
Ever had your master assassin infected by the plague?
The sentence "Death stalks the land" at the beginning of every turn
is just hilarious and so true. ~;)

R'as

The_Emperor
10-26-2004, 11:49
Why would you want to get rid of it?!

Keep that Plague fleet somewhere isolated and use them when you need them!!

Squalor will be an issue in your large cities in the late game and a dose of plague can sure help cure you of pesky overcrowding loyalty issues!

Simply send spies on board the plague fleet (always remember what fleet it is and never use it for transporting your generals) and get them infected, then march them to whatever city you want to spread it to... Your own, ally or enemy.

it is always in your interests to keep a plague bearer handy.

MonkeyMan
10-26-2004, 11:51
Not sure about this, i had 2 family members get the plague in egypt, i shipped them back home to carthage and sat them outside the city thinking they would recover, they probably had the plague for 20 turns in total before they both finally died. Wish i knew a reliable way to remove it from them. I didn't seem able to cure them, i even tried putting them in a city with full sanitation, to see if it would cure them. 10,000 citizens dead later they still had it, and the only way to cure the city was to get them out.

With the ships getting the plague, i just put them in a port and disband them the same turn, seems to work and the city doesn't get infected so far as i can tell.

Vlad Tzepes
10-26-2004, 17:43
Not sure about this, i had 2 family members get the plague in egypt, i shipped them back home to carthage and sat them outside the city thinking they would recover, they probably had the plague for 20 turns in total before they both finally died.

WOW ~:eek: 20 years? Then I should quit waiting for the last Scipii, plague-bearer, to die? Must be some divine punishment, to have all those black and hurting pimples for 20 years, plague killed in days... He will probably also have more kids, the perv! ~D

Slaists
10-26-2004, 17:51
hey, i was playing carthage yesterday and scipii got wiped out by plague... :) my infected spy then proceeded from capua to rome ;) let's see what happens tonight :)

Locklear
10-26-2004, 20:58
Update: my general was finally cured. I had him still governing, even with the plague (silly, I know) and even had him moving in and out (which I do for all governors). When the city cured itself (I guess "burned itself out" would be a better term) he was cured as well.

It is a nice way to control population if that's a problem, but it also eliminates trade income: that city went from making 800 with the plague, to about 4200 without it (Thessalonica, if memory serves). So, perhaps it's better to infect only 1 or 2 cities at a time, to keep from decimating your economy.

Quillan
10-26-2004, 22:23
What I've noticed so far is that when the plague in a city burns out, the characters in the city are usually cured. I say usually, because it's not always. The still sick governor, however did not reinfect the population from just sitting there. I did a bit of an experiment with it once, moved the governor out and right back in, and plague broke out again, but I didn't think to move a fresh unit into the city beforehand to see if he would infect new units with it.

If the characters still have plague after the main infection burns out, just letting them sit in the city a few more turns will probably cure them. It seems to be a random chance every turn from that point.

And the first time I had a general with plague, I sent him out in the wilderness to die since I couldn't use him for anything else (I hadn't figured it out yet). He lingered over 30 years before dying.

lars573
10-26-2004, 22:43
If you family members get the plague sitting them out in the country side is a sure death sentence. The only way that family members and/or agents get de-plagued is by being a city where they have acess to public health buildings. Of course if the city you send them too has not recently had the plague then you run the risk of giving a health city the plague. But no risk no reward and no guts no glory.

Kroakie
10-27-2004, 01:25
I put a newly trained spy into the infected fleet, not knowing he's a child prodigy spy extraordinaire lady's man with 6 rank and 2 lady retinue. Now the trio is having a all-expense paid tour around Egypt :D After that they intend to travel to Africa to visit the Scipii. Meanwhile, another duo are having a hike through Germanic forest, visiting each backwater village in turn to instruct them of the best method of population control.

Now I know the real use of spies.

Quillan
10-27-2004, 02:22
You'll notice the AI isn't too smart when it comes to handline plague (duh, about as well as it handles everything else I suppose), so it will probably keep going in their lands and armies for a while. They will occasionally return the favor to you, though I doubt it's deliberate. Every so often I find an enemy spy sneaking into my cities. None of them have been infectious so far, but I am waiting for that to happen.