PDA

View Full Version : Epic walls dont work

Postino
10-28-2004, 05:05
1: putting my selucian archers on an epic wall during a Roman seige olnly causes them to be pincusions. do archer auxilla have a better range? is this why they can stand and shoot with impunity beneath the gaze of my own archers?
2:the onagers cannot lob balls over the walls unless farther aweay than the normal causeway inbetween the city and the walls. i see no reason why they cannot also be placed on the walls anyway, atleast i could return fire then.
3:i always have to sally anyways. even when i wat to the last turn before my city falls i sally to find the enemy usually without even a single ladder.

ChaosDrake
10-28-2004, 05:25
yes the roman aux archers have a greater range

Postino
10-28-2004, 05:57
ah, well that makes me feel better but it should not be so great thaty guys on 50 foot walls cannot return fire to grounded archers.

Oaty
10-28-2004, 05:58
There is a minimum firing range for units on a wall it seems. Once units make it with in that minumum range they can no longer fire be fired at. I think its more of a programmimg error/fix as they found archers firing onto the stone floor so they made them unable to fire at a unit close to the wall. Realistically though the front line would have no minumum distance so I'd say it is a bit messed up that the frontline gets punished because the guys in the rear ca'nt fire

Postino
10-28-2004, 06:29
no, this is not the minimum distance i speak of. the archer auxilla begin shooting after *very* little movement toward the wall, pracically no movement infact. that i get my own units destroyed by archers standing in their own deployment zone is absurd.

andrewt
10-28-2004, 08:35
I've also found out that the AI doesn't build siege equipment a lot of times. I've sallied forth everytime I get besieged and the AI has no rams or anything.

SpencerH
10-28-2004, 14:59
The roman (and german) aux missile range is quite beyond belief. As far as I can tell their range is just shy of that of onagers.

Its hard to tell if selucid archers (or others) have a range benefit from being on the walls. They should have, but I havent seen it. Comments have been made that the height benefits have been 'toned down' in RTW which may account for the problem.

I've also noticed that my defending archers take considerable damage despite being able to take cover behind crenalations (sp).

Sometimes the city layout is such that onagers can fire over large stone walls, but for the most part they cant. I think this is a major glitch. It means that stone walls backed with onagers on the ground are more effective defensively than large or epic stone walls.

When you attack a beseiging army you wont see their seige equipment since they are defending. If they assault, you'll see plenty. From my experience the AI tends to build masses of seige equipment. In one battle (from one roman stack) I faced 2 rams, 3 towers, and 3 or 4 ladders. They still didnt clear the walls though Heh Heh.

HopAlongBunny
10-28-2004, 15:11
Yup

Roman aux range is amazing. My poor Macedonians get ripped up behind stone walls (ok, on top of them but still :p ) On a bridge battle I was taking fire before even hitting the bank...when i got to the bank I couldn't return fire; this might be fair given the range diff but frustrating :) Even with height advantage on a slope Roman aux still have the range.

Nice when you're playing as the Romans ~:)

MadKow
10-28-2004, 16:13
I believe Archer Auxilia have the same range as Cretan Archers (at least the unit description is alike) so i guess one's best bet of counter them is by conquering Crete or the surrounding areas.

Quillan
10-28-2004, 16:21
The post reform archer auxiliae have the "long range missles" tag. That's the same ability the Cretan archers have, the Pharoah's Bowmen, and the Forester Warband. Against most walls I've found archer auxiliae can hit troops on top of the wall from the setup line, they don't have to move at all.

Vanya
10-29-2004, 00:30
GAH!

Firing arrows onto sorry bastids next to wall works fine for Vanya!

Vanya sez... tell archers to shoot straight up into air. Arrows them come down, and, with luck (and a push from wind), they shall drift over the wall and onto the defenseless attacker pig-dogs! Of course, a few arrows might drift the other way too, so Vanya suggest your archers wear metal hats.

To prevent the winds from blowing arrows onto your own men, Vanya suggests youz put a SECOND line of peeps behind your archers. Have this second line "cut cheese" at a hearty rate so as to overcome the natural force of the winds. The brown cloud of methane will then propell the arrows AGAINST the wind and onto the heads of the sorry enemy pig-dogs outside your wall.

And, if you play with fire, the arrows can become truly explosive!

:duel:

GAH!

Jeanne d'arc
10-29-2004, 01:46
GAH!

Firing arrows onto sorry bastids next to wall works fine for Vanya!

Vanya sez... tell archers to shoot straight up into air. Arrows them come down, and, with luck (and a push from wind), they shall drift over the wall and onto the defenseless attacker pig-dogs! Of course, a few arrows might drift the other way too, so Vanya suggest your archers wear metal hats.

To prevent the winds from blowing arrows onto your own men, Vanya suggests youz put a SECOND line of peeps behind your archers. Have this second line "cut cheese" at a hearty rate so as to overcome the natural force of the winds. The brown cloud of methane will then propell the arrows AGAINST the wind and onto the heads of the sorry enemy pig-dogs outside your wall.

And, if you play with fire, the arrows can become truly explosive!

:duel:

GAH!
~:) it seems that everything works fine with Vanya

SpencerH
10-29-2004, 14:11
You can sometimes hire cretan archers without conquering Crete. I dont know if its easier to hire them if you control Crete though (although that would make sense).

One point to take into account when firing over stone walls with seige weapons, especially large stone walls, is that you will hit your own walls sometimes. I havent brought one down yet but I've killed my own troops on the wall and destroyed a couple of towers.

Postino
10-29-2004, 19:33
ACK! as always, Vanya you have shown us all the light!

Quillan
10-29-2004, 20:05
I've found Cretan Archer mercenaries available for hire on Crete (big surprise there, huh?), near Halicarnassus, and in the territories of Athens, Sparta and Corinth. I didn't have to conquer any of them. In fact, I usually grab a unit or two on my way in to take those in the first place.

Sam Adams
10-29-2004, 20:49
cretan archers I believe have a range slightly less than roman auxillera.

this could have been due to a slight change in height, i dont really remember.