PDA

View Full Version : Provinces

Hosakawa Tito
04-15-2001, 03:20
I finally received a book I ordered:"Taiko"by
Eiji Yoshikawa in the mail today.It's a very beautiful book with pictures of the family crests of the clans in the story etc... .There is also a map with all the provinces listed.According to this map it seems STW left out;
1.Hirado-which is the western arm of Hizen in the game.
2.Two north western island provinces,Tsushima and Iki
3.Matsumae-which is on the large island north east of Mutsu.This island is not represented in the game at all though it is quite large.
I'm curious to know if these were left out of the game because they had no significance in Japanese history at that time(16th century).I realize there were many more clans than are depicted in the game.It would seem to me that the small western islands would have played a roll during the mongol invasions in the earlier centuries though.They seem to be on the route of the mongol advance from the asian mainland,a stepping stone for the mongol hordes.Any way I can't wait to dive into this book.
Tito

Takeda Shingen
04-15-2001, 03:52
When i first got STW and the Guide book too i was looking at all the province's,trying to figure out where everything was.Then i remembered the Shogun board game the Milton Bradly game and i laid out the board and they have most if not all the other areas you speak of.See what i did was set the board up and put different colored figures to represent the different clans in their province's.And also to figure out what clan to choose i'm not sure how many of you have this board game but it helps out a lot.Forgive my spelling errors i'm not that good at times with spelling certain words.

Michael

Anssi Hakkinen
04-15-2001, 05:22
The islands of Tsushima and Iki (which are in the middle of the Korean Strait and the a bit off the coast of Northern Kyûshû, respectively) were, indeed, stepping stones for the Mongol invasion. They're distant and/or small enough to be insignificant in the Sengoku period (the stakes were high enough to ignore all but the largest of islands - Awaji is in a strategic position, and therefore included), but they might make an appearance in the expansion...

That is, unless the game starts with the Mongols having gained a foothold already. That would be almost a shame... I want to see the daimyô of Tsushima, Sô Sukekuni. He's to me what Asai Nagamasa is to Zen_Blade-sama and Ii Naomasa to Ii Naomasa-sama.

------------------
"...when looking towards the future, we can certainly be worried about what may possibly happen, but what we must be fear the most is the impossible, for therein lie the truly vast disasters."
- Peter Englund

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 04-14-2001).]

Hosakawa Tito
04-15-2001, 06:13
We won't know for sure until the game comes out Anssi,but I have a feeling that Tsushima and Iki will be left out.So Sukekuni will probably be depicted in the game,but as a ronin or Hojo general and not as he really was historically.That would indeed be a shame,but we can only hope I guess.Thanks for your insight,I love history,but know almost nothing about Japanese history.I plan on correcting that and will be picking the brains of some of the forum members who are knowledgeable on the subject to learn more.
Tito

Zen Blade
04-15-2001, 08:28
Hosokawa,

The "island" north of Mutsu is Hokkaido and during the 16th c. it wasn't really inhabited enough to be considered valuble. Granted, there were a few things happening there, but nothing that could have an effect on the bulk of japan.

The same thing also goes for Tsushima and Iki. They would be equivalent to Switzerland throughout much of modern history (without the banks).

However, I doubt that we will be lucky enough to see any of these in the Mongol expansion. It looks to me like the mongols will basically start on Kyushu, or maybe even a bit on Honshu.

However, one thing you may not have noticed is that in the game, between Harima and Kii the provinces have been somewhat consolidated.

And yes, We need to be able to edit leaders names and see ASAI NAGAMASA.
Why wasn't he a notable taisho in the Mori army????? The Asai name was in Mori, but no taisho......
: (

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity

Hosakawa Tito
04-15-2001, 10:03
Now that you mention it Zen,I do see that they consolidated Izumi into Kii and Shima into Ise and Settsu into Harima.I wonder why?
Literary license I guess.My book lists the major characters in it and doesn't mention Asai Nagamasa as a retainer of Mori Terumoto either?Hmm I'll have to read it to see I guess.If not what book could you recommend on him?
Anssi:What period would So Sukekuni be from?
What book would you recommend that tells his place in Japanese history?
Thanks for your responses.
Tito

Zen Blade
04-15-2001, 10:24
hosokawa,

Asai are a Mori clan family in the game, but in the real life they were a clan on the north-eastern bit of Lake Biwa (east of Kyoto). Asai Nagamasa was the Daimyo btwn Asakura and Oda basically... located in northen Omi (west of Mino)

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity

Anssi Hakkinen
04-16-2001, 06:39
Sô Sukekuni was the daimyô of Tsushima in the mid-to-late 13th century, during the Mongol invasion. I can't recommend any source on him though, as I've been trying to find one myself. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif Presumably, any book on the Mongol invasion should cover him as well. Maybe Seal-Kô or someone can come up with a title, my head's empty right now.

*slaps forehead* Of course... Tsushima and Iki won't be in the 'pack for the simple reason that we've already seen screenshots of the strategy map, and it's the exact same map. Oh well, I hope Sukekuni makes a cameo appearance, anyway.

Also, the islands and the Settsu province (which would have been next to Kawachi) were presumably dropped because they would have made the map too crowded. There was also a province named Awa covering the tip of the cape in the extreme South-East of the map, but it was dropped as there is another province named Awa already (on Kyûshû). Artistic license, yes, but also sheer practicality.

Seal-Kô has a rather good map of the Sengoku-era provinces at the Samurai Archives (http://samurai.bigsitecity.com).

------------------
"1. Gi: the right decision, taken with equanimity, the right attitude, the truth. When we must die, we must die. Rectitude."

Hosakawa Tito
04-17-2001, 02:32
Thanks Anssi,I'll keep an eye out for any writings on So Sukekuni and if I find anything I'll let you know.A question though;how did you become aware of Sukekuni and his role in the mongol invasion?Is he just mentioned in passing without much detail?
Tito