PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions on where forts can be built?

Hondo1821
10-30-2004, 01:08
Can forts be built on any piece of flat, clear terrain, or are there restrictions? I can't seem to get the build button to light up in certain pieces of terrrain that seem legitimate sites to me. Also, can forts actually be built next to each other - I can't seem to do this either. Thanks, Hondo.

Sin Qua Non
10-30-2004, 02:40
I haven't done any tests, but from what I've noticed, you can't build forts on tiles which have woods or water in them. How much woods/water until the tile is considered unbuildable, I don't know.

Also, a fort seems to enforce a zone of control about the same size as a stationary army does, and the ZOC's of 2 forts can't overlap too much. So you can build a defensive wall of forts, but it might not look too wallish on the campaign map.

Watchtowers and forts don't seem to like to co-exist either. So think about where you might need forts when you build towers, especially since towers seem to be permanent structures.

chemchok
10-30-2004, 04:02
Well, you can't build forts...

-next to other faction's armies or cities
-right next to another fort (your own faction's or another's)
-Not sure on this, but, I don't think you can even build them next to other faction's diplomats or assassins.

That's about it.

Quillan
10-30-2004, 14:57
I don't think you can build them next to a watchtower either.

On an unrelated side note, did you know your diplomat can hold discussions with an empty fort?

Servius
10-30-2004, 16:43
yeah, you can't build them next to anything (Except your own strat map pieces). But, if there's an nme diplomat that's preventing you from building a fort, you can move your army into the space where the dip is and he will back off, so you can kinda push the dip back and then go back and place your fort where you want it.

Also, I can't seem to build ANYTHING in Belgica or Germania Inferior (one of the two I think). That may be to simulate the lowland bogs of Flanders/Netherlands, but it's pretty annoying.

There are also some seamingly-random places around mountains where you can move an army but cannot place a fort (but may be able to place a watchtower...).

Lastly, you probably know this already, but you can't build watchtowers in nme territory either.

Oaty
10-30-2004, 23:47
I don't think you can build them next to a watchtower either.

On an unrelated side note, did you know your diplomat can hold discussions with an empty fort?

And what kind of traits does your diplomat get?

The return of the unhinged loon

Quillan
10-31-2004, 02:10
Didn't get any traits, but last night I sold my map to an empty Greek fort for 3k. :dizzy2:

Sin Qua Non
10-31-2004, 05:06
It might not be empty. It's probably manned by the same invisible archers in all the arrow towers.