PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor

Alexander the Pretty Good
11-01-2004, 21:41
My brother recently got Frontline (yeah, yeah, my family isn't big on getting the latest games, just ones we really like, like RTW). It has a few good missions and is overall good, but the "Commando man, one man grand army, single-handedly kill every Nazi soldier in and outside Germany" is a little cheesey. I want a Medal of Honor style game in which YOU don't have to kill all Germans in the whole country (or at least your buddies will help out). My favorite levels in Frontline were the ones with friendlies - the D-Day ones, the battle in Arnhem (Arnhem Knights) and that one in the "Needle in a Haystack" mission. Is the whole Medal of Honor series like Frontline? I know you all are playing Rome: Total War (even I am, most of the time) but I really like WW2 history and Medal Of Honor would be so cool if you weren't invincible "commando man".

Cheers. ~:cheers:

Lehesu
11-01-2004, 23:08
Check out Call of Duty.

ShadesPanther
11-02-2004, 00:10
Call of duty has one or two annoying missions where you take on everyone for example the SAS missions where you capture a massive dam by yourself :furious3:

Cazbol
11-02-2004, 00:47
Medal of Honor, well at least the first part which I've been playing, suffers precisely from this syndrome of you alone against the 3rd Reich. Your comrades can at best pop a few enemies before being shot down themselves and are mainly there to give the illusion of you having comrades. This game also uses too many cheap tricks, like enemies spawning behind you from places that you're not allowed to clear beforehand.

It has some nice missions but it also has missions that I hate. Definitely not a must-buy but it has some merits.

Divine Wind
11-02-2004, 02:29
I prefer the multiplayer aspect of the game personally. While its dominated by the "l33t" talking people, it is possible to find really good servers with very nice mature players. These servers as they are so popular, usually have a large number of members in their specific clan playing too, so your never short of an admin when the time is needed for some ejecting ~:)

I still havent given COD a try yet. Would the COD ppl say its multiplayer is better than MOHAA?

Crazed Rabbit
11-04-2004, 01:15
You want a co-op SP with AI buddies in WWII? Call of Duty was made for you! All the missions except some British ones have you fighting with comrades against those evil, evil Nazis (And in the Russian missions, they have literally dozens of soviets onscreen at once!) Also, depending on the difficulty level, the damage you recieve from an enemy is adjusted signiffigantly.

The normal MP, however, is pretty normal team death match (kill the most people! Magic crosshairs, LOTS of grenades being thrown, etc.) EXCEPT for the great mod Heat of Battle (http://www.heatofbattle.net).

This awesome mod demands teamwork, and has capturable points like Day of Defeat, but also MUCH better, non-linear maps to fight in. And in version .4, due out next week, they have developed code so you can deploy a BAR gun anywhere the height is correct- i.e. the mapper doesn't have to specify each location where a BAR gun can be deployed, along with many other great improvements and maps! Also, there is a great community of people who play this mod.

They have a promo video out too, which you can view here (http://www.heatofbattle.net/files.asp)
As you can see, I love this mod, and I would urge you to buy COD for its SP game, and for this MP mod.

Crazed Rabbit

solypsist
11-08-2004, 18:56
i'll prob get the Medal of Honor one with the pacific scenarios (can't remember the exact name). it looks pretty cool.
(still haven't played commandos 3)

jeffreyLebowski
11-08-2004, 19:19
You do indeed want Call of Duty. The original game is a near-masterpiece with 2 or 3 weak stages in the middle of the game. Besides those, it's awesome if you're looking for a cinematic, Band of Brothers type of experience.

However, the recently released expansion, United Offensive, completely destroys the original Call of Duty. I'm not exaggerating here, it's my favorite FPS of all time, by far. The mission design is off the charts, the missions are longer, grander in scope (many feature combined armor/infantry assaults of entire villages), and even includes an amazing mission where you find yourself a crew member on a B17 bomber, surrounded by allied planes in a bombing mission over Germany. I can't recommend it enough.

And by the way, there isn't a single portion of the game where you're alone. Ever. I think they definetely listened to their critics about the British missions in the original, and it works quite well.

lancer63
11-10-2004, 17:34
In a period of three months I got three different games, Mohaa first, Call of Duty secon and Ghost Recon last. Had I tried Ghost recon first I'd never have bought the other two. way better, without the mouse labirynt style of play of the other two and much more realistic. Don't need to get out in the open and get shot a few times to know where the enemy is. If you get shot in GR chances are you're dead with the first bullet.
Tons of mods too incluiding WWII ones, loads of uniforms, weapons and nationalities. Great game.

Napoleonic_TW
11-10-2004, 18:08
If you like ghost recon, be sure to check out Operation Flashpoint, with the Invasion44 mod. You're ALWAYS with a squad (unless they bite the dust first ~;) ) Almost totally unscripted, the AI will do different stuff each time. Check it out, you can pick up GOTY pretty cheap.

econ21
11-11-2004, 10:34
Interesting post, Lancer63: I've got Ghost Recon, liked it, but was tempted by the sound of the cinematics in Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.

I am not sure about what you say about Ghost Recon, though. I found the fact that it was SO realistic (one shot, one kill) meant that you did often have to reload after dying so that you would know where the enemy was.

I found Vietcong a happy medium for me - it has GR style stealth and authenticity, but at moderate difficulty levels you are sufficiently robust that you can risk a firefight. In GR, it seemed to be largely about sniping and setting up ambushes - realistic special forces tactics, I guess, but not as visceral as duking it out at close quarters.

Oaty
11-15-2004, 08:39
I prefer the multiplayer aspect of the game personally. While its dominated by the "l33t" talking people, it is possible to find really good servers with very nice mature players. These servers as they are so popular, usually have a large number of members in their specific clan playing too, so your never short of an admin when the time is needed for some ejecting ~:)

I still havent given COD a try yet. Would the COD ppl say its multiplayer is better than MOHAA?

If you play on rifles only servers you have a good chance of running into decent people. I'm not a big FPS person but I'd asked someone if they had beaten the single player game. I got about 5 replies instantaneously saying yep it was way too easy and here I am wanting to throw my comp out of the window on easy difficulty.

SOLY if I'm right Pacific assault is just an expansion pack, so you need the original game also.

RZST
11-16-2004, 07:33
no, pacific assault is a stand alone game. not an xpack. its a damn good one at that.

ive played both CoD and MoHAA series. i have to say, CoD Single Player is just godawesome, so is the multiplay part of it. so my verdict would be CoD > MoHAA
BUT right now i have pacific assault, tried the mp demo, got the uhm...single player only game(hehe, i r teh evil) and by god, its also godawesome.
i cant try the multiplay since..(hehe i r teh evil).. but from the demo, i enjoyed it better than CoD. think of MOHPA as MoHAA+RTCW =)

i used to be good at MoHAA but then i got bored, and everyone, i mean EVERYONE was using the lean+shoot+dodge crap of a "tactic" that it wasnt what i was expecting in a game like MoHAA. though the rifle only servers are still nice to play in from time to time.

ShadesPanther
11-16-2004, 21:24
MOH:PA is alright some features are good. But it is a buggy POS, EA had to release it just before christmas to get more sales even though there are quite a few bugs

RZST
11-17-2004, 02:22
hehe, ea games. hahahahaha http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/

Crazed Rabbit
11-17-2004, 20:44
Just read that link. Pretty terrible practices by EA.

Crazed Rabbit

ShadesPanther
11-17-2004, 21:10
EA has been lie that for a few years now.
They frankly don't care about the quality of the games as long as they make the most money.

FIFA 2005 (soccer for friends in USA) Is actually worse than 2004 which had made a huge jump and was actually good but now its back to worse times ~:eek:

lancer63
11-17-2004, 21:34
Interesting post, Lancer63: I've got Ghost Recon, liked it, but was tempted by the sound of the cinematics in Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.

I am not sure about what you say about Ghost Recon, though. I found the fact that it was SO realistic (one shot, one kill) meant that you did often have to reload after dying so that you would know where the enemy was.

I found Vietcong a happy medium for me - it has GR style stealth and authenticity, but at moderate difficulty levels you are sufficiently robust that you can risk a firefight. In GR, it seemed to be largely about sniping and setting up ambushes - realistic special forces tactics, I guess, but not as visceral as duking it out at close quarters.

You don't really have to reload Simon. If the character you're using gets killed you can cycle to another one of the six men you can deploy. As a fact you can use any of them providing they are not dead. Another realistic aspect is that in case you are wounded your performance is reduced depending on what part of the body got hurt.
Yes, the game is based largely on stealth an surprise is a big factor there. But I've also had firefights where you can hear slugs smacking on plaster and dirt all around you, bullets buzzing over your head and grenades shaking the ground. Plus if you deactivate the motion detector you have the chance to experience the terror RL warriors feel of not knowing wheter the bad guys are ten feet or ten miles away.
Great realistic uniforms from elite units of quite a few countries incluiding WWII ones and so many weapon and map mods that you can't use them all.
My favorites are the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) and the British commando mods.
Vietcong sounds like fun and will give it a try. Thanks for the pointer Simon. ~:cheers:

solypsist
11-17-2004, 21:56
i got the pacific moh for the pc and now have to get a new video card since it won't play with my current one (which i purchased last december)

Hosakawa Tito
11-27-2004, 19:32
I got MOH Pacific Assault. Use the #4 disk to play, not #1 like the directions imply. I had to call tech support on that one, kept getting a script error (unrelated) and CD not found error. Also had to download updated display drivers for my GeForce FX5900. After that the game played and looked great.
I'm not a big fan of scripted path finding because the game gets too predictable. I haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Kraxis
11-28-2004, 00:58
Anyone who likes Ghost Recon would love Operation Flashpoint, and its various expansions. It feels very much like real combat, and you can't suffer more than one hit (two if lucky). You are fragile. But then again you can drive tanks, IFVs and APCs (those can transport as well), fly helicopters, drive trucks and jeeps, sail assault boats, and there are many versions of each type (an Abrams will easily kill a T-54 but a T-80 is a match). Anything but jets and ships. But unlike the Battlefields you need other crewmembers to comlpete your various weapons. A tank needs a driver, gunner and commander (commander is where you want to be). Simple commands makes it easy to comtrol even rather large squads.

If you surprise the enemy (lets say 5-6 men by poppin one) they will, depending on skills, either run around for a few seconds scared and confused or dive for cover. The second time you fire they will most likely find out where you are.

Tank combat is great fun. As the commander you can tell the gunner what to engage, when to fire and what ammo to use. Just beware, the gunner is not bright and will shoot when you order him to, even if the gun is not yet laid on target, or even at a friendly tank. If you are seriously hit, it is time to abandon ship and that can be dangerous as the enemy tanks will most likely hose you down with machineguns. Nasty! If you damage an enemy tank enough (not kill it) the crew will bail out too. Don't think that they are weak and badly armed, they have a shortened version of the two sides assault rifles.

As infantry you can lay endless ambushes against tanks with mines, explosives and RPGs, even handgrenades (though that will take time). Infantry is very easy to ambush if you have a small squad.

Ballistics work, so at ranges you have to raise your weapon and it takes while before the bullet arrives. Then you finally learn what those odd lines and curves are in the sniperscopes (the Russian sniperrifle is perfect).

Kaiser of Arabia
11-29-2004, 02:37
Call of Duty.
I'll play you online and you can get easy kills (I kinda suck)
-Capo

Colovion
11-29-2004, 03:06
I played Medal of Honor: Allied Assault online for a long time. I got Spearhead, played the SP and some MP and it is also pretty good. The MP for them is great, I got good; scary good. I've played FPS for a while, started with dominating in Goldeneye for N64, then Perfect Dark, then it was MOHAA and most recently the game I'm learning to excel at is Counterstrike;Source and Far Cry. I can't wait for Day of Deafeat: Source to come out. Oh sweet, tender FPS.