PDA

View Full Version : What happened to provincial bonuses?

Servius
11-01-2004, 21:56
I was just reading a thread in the Main Hall (MTW) when I remembered that in MTW, certain provinces gave Valor bonus to certain troop types (Chiv Knights in Toulouse), or certain troop types could only be raised in that province (Gallowglasses), or they had Iron which meant you could build an weaponsmith and get +1 attack bonuses.

In RTW I don't think there are any province-specific advantages for certain units. I guess the mercenary system has replaced the province-specific unit types (Genoesse Sailors, etc.) and only certain cultures get access to the higher-leve armorers. I know certain cultures have temples that grant the equivalent of a Valor bonus, but that's culture-specific, not region-specific.

Have I missed it, or (asside from what mercenaries you can recruit) is one province basically identical to every other, in terms of recruitment?

Medieval Assassin
11-01-2004, 22:20
I think the merc's replace that.

sunsmountain
11-01-2004, 22:39
They're still there, but only for mercenaries. Simply go to the area where they get bonusses, and they should.

Balearic Slingers from the Balearic Isles always have at least 1 xp
Cretan Archers from Crete always have at least 1 xp

etc.
don't know all of them by heart, nor are they all as interesting. Like Mercenary Peltasts or Eastern Mercenaries. Cheap and relatively expensive in upkeep, while worthless troops.

metatron
11-01-2004, 22:56
I thought that mercenaries would have a bonus by default...

andrewt
11-01-2004, 23:01
Elephants and camels can only be trained in certain provinces.

I'm not sure but I think Spartan hoplites can only be trained from 2 provinces.