PDA

View Full Version : Player Abstraction - just who are you?

BlackFireStorm
11-02-2004, 18:54
A thought occurred to me today as I was thinking through my current campaign strategy - just who or what are you playing when you play RTW, MTW or (I imagine) STW?

The game switches you between so many roles during gameplay, it's amazing how we all just accept it.
Consider this:
Battle map
- I'm a General commanding the troops, but with a God-like helicoper view and instant communication with my men. (As an aside, just how were orders passed to troops on the real field of battle? Anyone care to enlighten me?)
- I'm a Captain of a troop, dictating when the men under my command fire, and at whom, if at all.

Campaign Map
- I'm an Admiral. OK, I've not got control beyond 'Go here, hit this, blockade that'. But, hey, I'm sailing!

- I'm the faction leader. Or am I? I'm more like 'The Faction', as when the leader dies the games does not end. I just switch to the new leader.

Given what a big ask this is, to switch from one role to another, it's amazing how fluid the game allows this to be, and how we all just do it without thinking about it.

Vlad Tzepes
11-02-2004, 18:57
A thought occurred to me today as I was thinking through my current campaign strategy - just who or what are you playing when you play RTW, MTW or (I imagine) STW?

The game switches you between so many roles during gameplay, it's amazing how we all just accept it.
Consider this:
Battle map
- I'm a General commanding the troops, but with a God-like helicoper view and instant communication with my men. (As an aside, just how were orders passed to troops on the real field of battle? Anyone care to enlighten me?)
- I'm a Captain of a troop, dictating when the men under my command fire, and at whom, if at all.

Campaign Map
- I'm an Admiral. OK, I've not got control beyond 'Go here, hit this, blockade that'. But, hey, I'm sailing!

- I'm the faction leader. Or am I? I'm more like 'The Faction', as when the leader dies the games does not end. I just switch to the new leader.

Given what a big ask this is, to switch from one role to another, it's amazing how fluid the game allows this to be, and how we all just do it without thinking about it.

I'm the poor bastard besieged in his room by his wife, :duel: playing RTW all night, zombie-ing next day at the office. :dizzy2:

Zatoichi
11-02-2004, 19:02
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm Spartacus!

Oh sorry, have we done that joke already? (ducks, puts on flame retardent coat, leaves room rapidly, whistling...)

As for the communication thing, I'm guessing horns, drums and the like.

But you've already stopped reading by now, right?

jimmyM
11-02-2004, 19:09
I am the not-so benevolent guiding spirit of my faction, i'd say (fail to have a temple to ME in your city eh? where'd i put those swarms of locusts?....) - as for orders? hmm, i think the troops would see them less as orders ,more as a vital way to stop their heads from exploding :evilgrin:

Sjakihata
11-02-2004, 19:17
Im a guy playing a 'simulation' not a roleplaying game

Bob the Insane
11-02-2004, 21:30

You sound almost judgemental... ~D

ericostermann
11-02-2004, 21:50
I tryto play base don the General/Leader and his abilities. For example sometimes I play very chess like an dtactical or if it appears otherwise I play very brute force head on. Sometimes I play very financial or very spy sneaky. I play each army in the manner of the General and the Faction a sbest I can in the way of the Faction Leader. Yes I roleplay the Faction and General and LEader to make it fun. PS. Try not play drunk though if you are trying to mimic a hard drinker. I had afew one night and lost half my Empire.

BlackFireStorm
11-02-2004, 22:42
Interesting point - a simulation of...Rome? The Roman Empire? I agree, it is not a roleplaying game. But it's not a simulation either, at least not a simulation like a flight sim. It may be a simulation along the line of The Sims or Sim City, although slightly different in that there is a definitive 'win' condition.

Is there a genre title for games such as these?

HopAlongBunny
11-02-2004, 22:53
Who am I?

I am the realization of spirit for my faction ala Hegel...I suppose

Genre?
The very same genre as Monty Python's -Complete Waste of Time ~:)

jimmyM
11-02-2004, 23:06
haha, just call me zeitgeist...

Ktonos
11-03-2004, 08:25
In CivIII manual I read "you are your civilizations leader, or morelikely, your country itself". I suppose that happens in RTW.,,

Uesugi Kenshin
11-05-2004, 04:33
This is a STARTEGY game not a poleplaying game or a simulation. RTS: Real Time Strategy Game and Turn Based Strategy Game (I do not think people say TBS)

Uesugi Kenshin
11-05-2004, 04:39
Can you believe it, I checked all the spellings of strategy but that one :embarassed:

Siris
11-05-2004, 04:43
I consider myself the Spartan Empires Emperor. I command my men that I created from my cities on the battlefields. I build my armies, I move my armies, I run the diplomacy, I run the fleet; so basically the Faction heir in there is just a puppet that sit's as an icon under my rule. :bow:

MiniKiller
11-05-2004, 05:52
I AM ZEUS heheh playing toy soilders with all the lil people I look down upon :duel: