PDA

View Full Version : Attacking Capitals -- Part II

Siris
11-03-2004, 14:44
*Be sure to read the first part of the this topic before posting here, it will help you better understand what this is about*

Now, if I was to send the 4,000 men to Rome itself & capture it, would the other factions then go into civil war if they tried to take it back, being the faction that liberated the Senate? Its a good idea, need some feedback on this topic especially. Instead of marching upon Bruti's & Scipii's Capitals, marching upon Rome. In a sense the other factions should goto war with each other on trying to be the one who re-claims Rome. If they dont, the one that does re-claim it, should still spark the war indirectly, by making the other Roman families want the city for themselves.

Any ideas? :book:

Pomerium
11-03-2004, 14:55
My guess is that the AI will cause a rebellion and the Senate regains Rome.
Interesting idea if that does cause a civil war. I've played the Greeks and wiped out one Roman faction and then took Rome. No civil war broke out. I never left the city.
Do you plan to raze Rome and leave it? That might cause a problem for the Romans.

D. Boon's Ghost
11-03-2004, 15:58
I think that if he razes it and leaves thereafter, the Senate will just reappear. I suppose it depends upon how much time you occupy it, though.

The ideal, as Siris mentioned, would be if the AI Romans played as if they were one separate faction led by the Senate. If Rome were to be sacked, it would be great if the AI Romans dropped what they were doing and hurrried off to save the mother city.

Sadly, I have yet to see it.
As I tried to let on in the last thread, I have played as the Greeks (vh/m) and marched on Rome as soon as I secured my half of Sicily. I left a garrison in Rome and kept marching North with my main army. Not once did that garrison see a Roman faction attempt to liberate it. Granted, the Julii were occupied by myself and Gaul - but the Brutii had a free shot on me anytime they wished (the Scipii, once being beaten off Sicily, stayed in their capital).
Still, I was tremendously surprised. My plan was to use the scorched earth policy on the Roman cities I captured; capture, burn the buildings down that I could, leave a small garrison until revolt kicked me out or it was liberated, and them make a fighting retreat to my main army. I fully expected to see all of Rome fall on me in an attempt to save their Senate, but it never came.

I still think that the AI factions are all separate entities. I'm not so sure the AI Senate actively works with the AI Romans (and vice versa). I don't know if the Senate hands out the same missions to the AI as they do when we play one. I believe, rather, that the AI Romans are just scripted to do the same opening moves we might see.

*Ringo*
11-03-2004, 16:07
Sorry, nothing to add to the discussion except would be interesting to try! I was wondering why you didn't just continue your previous thread? It just keeps relevant information together when referencing experiments etc. Or at least link (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39172) to it?

*Ringo*

Sin Qua Non
11-03-2004, 16:22
Not sure, but I think when the senate is gone, they are gone. No coming back for them. The are like the MTW papal faction in that they get into everyone's business, but they are really only there for Roman cohesion (in a gameplay sense). If you wipe them out and leave Rome, I doubt they'll pull a superpope and come back with 6 stacks.

discovery1
11-03-2004, 16:37
I took rome as the gauls and then pulled out after torching. It went rebel and no roman army as attempted to retake it, although the Julli are dead.

Bob the Insane
11-03-2004, 17:00
So it is not the new Papal faction then, due to return at any moment with a huge army....

Postino
11-03-2004, 19:21
ihave sacked roime and left it, it was taken back by a senate army rebeling from my absentee rule.

Siris
11-03-2004, 19:27
I re-started this thread and not continuing on the other one because I asked this question at least two times there and it had yet to be answered, so why I started a new one to gain peopls attention to this question at hand. ~:)

Hm, I'm going to try out several variables on Friday night when I get back in there to continue playing. I'll save each one as a different file, that way in the end I can choose from the absolute best one there is.

So far I'm still focused at definately taking the Bruti Capital, and then possibly move on to Scipii's, & just hold those two, & make Rome as well. Like others said, they all three will be the most advanced cities of the Romans, that means, their all the best military production facilities such as my Capital of Sparta, which means I'll force the Romans on a 3rd front, hording thousands of some of the best troops avaliable. So instead of extermination I'm going to just enslave to increase my other cities populations, which themselves have been declining because I've been recruiting so much into my Army. On one of my cities, I only have 400 citizens left from massively over production of the military. It wont even allow me to make more units there from it! And the town was over 3,000 citizens, that is after I massacred its original Roman populace as retaliation to their eight attacks on Sycracuse of over 8,000 people. Talking about Messa that is. :dizzy2:

Oaty
11-03-2004, 19:30
If there is a rebel hier out there I think they can reemerge. Just an assumption though

Siris
11-04-2004, 01:35
I'm going for catching all of their heir's & possibly the faction leader in the Capitals. I could cause some serious damage to their factions, especially Bruti's since their Capital is where the hammer stroke will fall the hardest, should I catch their main garrisons, heir's, family members, & faction leader, which all would be on the fighting field.

If there on the field, I'll be targetting them as priority targets, especially the enemy general which could possibly be their faction leader or a heir/family member. The results if I was to catch all of their heir's & the leader in one fight, take them all out, would horribly devestate their faction, wouldnt you think?

Sin Qua Non
11-04-2004, 03:08
ihave sacked roime and left it, it was taken back by a senate army rebeling from my absentee rule.

If you can remember, what was the situation around Rome? I have never managed to have the Senate respawn, but I also haven't run a barrrage of experiments. Like oaty mentioned, were there any former Senate generals alive? Who was in control of the surrounding cities? I've had Rome and environs revolt on me as a Roman and as a barbarian, but the Senate never re-emerged. On the off chance, did SPQR have any other provinces? I'm kind of glad to hear that it can happen, just as long as he's not leading 8 full legions. Oh, and what was the composition of the Senate army?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm through examining the witness, your Honor. ~:)

Siris
11-04-2004, 03:14
Yes, what does the Senate have under their command? No doubts once they hear the word of my army seiging Bruti's capital before I can sacqu it, they'll be on the march, along with Scipii's military.

Was strange on landing the beach's of Bruti on the heel of Italia, was no enemies when my massive (I mean MASSIVE) fleet was some 3 miles & one turn away from landing on the beaches, clicked end turn, then suddenly there's the SPQR fleet, along with Scipii's & Bruti's; they'd got word of the inbound army lol, kind of like the movie Troy, but with a blockade fleet. Which the fleet in the end did hold off some 1,500 men, but I still got 4,000+ on the beaches he-he-he. ~:cheers: